Together Retro: The Quake Series / Quake Live -WHEN TO PLAY?

Join in on our classic gaming club!
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Together Retro: The Quake Series / Quake Live -WHEN TO PLAY?

Post by dsheinem »

This month we'll be playing any and all games in the Quake series[/url]. This is one of the best FPS series of all time and arguably iD's best work to date.

As part of this month's festivities, I am going to host some Quake Live matches. I'd like to do them a couple of times a week, if possible. You should be able to join in with just the standard FREE membership with Quake Live, so go hop on that if you don't yet have an account. I'll post date, time, and server info here in the OP soon. My name on the service is also "dsheinem".

Want to play tonight?

Server Link: http://www.quakelive.com/r/join/f2467cb ... 44bd7a9932

Server Name: Racketboy - Together Quake
password: racketgibs

What game(s) in the series do you plan to play? For my part, for the single player experience, I hope to at least play through Quake 2 and its mission packs...
Last edited by dsheinem on Sat Mar 07, 2015 6:33 pm, edited 7 times in total.
wclem
Next-Gen

Re: Together Retro: The Quake Series

Post by wclem »

Wow, I have not played the first Quake online in years. The early days of running this with, was it OPENGL? The days a piggybacking a 3D card LOL. What was the big one at the time?
Was it called just simply "3DFZ"? I cannot remember, getting old.

I remember buying a PowerVR card to play it. You only had to plug it into an open PCI slot, no other connectors or piggybacking. It simply sat there and worked by itself. It made Quake run so nice back then. I think it had a whole 4 mb of ram, maybe even 8 LOL.

Sorry, old man drifting in thought here.
dsheinem wrote:In any case, sorry that my avatar makes you cringe these days, but I haven't really changed my posing habits at all.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Wow, it's already time for Quake. Once I finish Descent (6 levels left!) I'll pick up Quake Mission Pack 2, and then if there's still time in the month I'll do Quake 2 Ground Zero.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

I think it would be fun to do a night of Dreamcast Quake III, too. Can anyone point us in the right direction to hook all that up...?
nullPointer
128-bit

Post by nullPointer »

Sweet! So true confessions time; I've never played anything in the Quake series, not even for 5 minutes. So I defer to you, oh experts in the esoterica of Quake, which game in the series provides that 'definitive Quake experience'? Generally I'm pretty stringent about playing series in the order of release, but for the purposes of Together Retro I'd like to see the best that the series has to offer without limiting myself by way of strict chronological order. I'm quite sure I won't be playing through all of them this month, so I figure I should try to get the most out of the series as I can for the purposes of TR discussion.

TL;DR: Which one should I play first?
Last edited by nullPointer on Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
Sload Soap
Next-Gen

Post by Sload Soap »

This is the month I'm most looking forward to. So much so in fact I already beat Quake 4 this morning. More thoughts later but it was quite good, though not without some considerable issues.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Sload Soap wrote:This is the month I'm most looking forward to. So much so in fact I already beat Quake 4 this morning. More thoughts later but it was quite good, though not without some considerable issues.

I tried to get Quake 4 (Steam) working with Sikkmod awhile back, but it wouldn't work. :(

Originally played it on the 360 though and really enjoyed it. Pretty much a Doom 3 remix.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

The definitive Quake experience is definitely Quake 1. That's the game that took the Doom formula and gave us mind-blowing full 3D. Quake 2 slows things down; it's still a very fun game, and it prototypes things that Half-Life and Unreal will do (coherent level design to tell a story that flows from one level to the next). Quake 3 is back to the Quake 1 fast-paced style but it isn't as good as Unreal Tournament. Yeah, I said it. And finally, Quake 4 is a sequel to Quake 2 running on the Doom 3 engine that feels like it belongs in its series more than Doom 3 does in the Doom series, but it still takes a few extra cues from Doom 3 that I think were unnecessary.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Sload Soap
Next-Gen

Post by Sload Soap »

Xeogred wrote:
Sload Soap wrote:This is the month I'm most looking forward to. So much so in fact I already beat Quake 4 this morning. More thoughts later but it was quite good, though not without some considerable issues.

I tried to get Quake 4 (Steam) working with Sikkmod awhile back, but it wouldn't work. :(

Originally played it on the 360 though and really enjoyed it. Pretty much a Doom 3 remix.

Yeah, I got a Doom 3 vibe as well. Also similar to Prey but not as good.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

Quake 1 Saturn and Quake 2 on PC and Quake 3 Arena on Dreamcast. I'm ready for this!
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.