Together Retro: D&D Tower of Doom & Shadow Over Mystara

Join in on our classic gaming club!
jmbarnes101
Next-Gen

Re: Together Retro: D&D Tower of Doom & Shadow Over Mystara

Post by jmbarnes101 »

I just picked up an eshop card and was planning on getting this so I'm pleasantly surprised to find out about this. If anyone wants to do co-op on the Wii U let me know.
My FS/FT/WTTF list:
http://racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=51197

Game Systems Owned:
NES, NES 2 (AV mod), SNES, SNES 2, N64 (Pikachu), N64 original (boxed), Gamecube (Orange, Silver, Purple), Wii, Wii U (Zelda), GB Pocket, GBA (2x-Arctic & Indigo), GBA SP (3x), DS Lite (Crimson/Black), 3DS (Aqua Blue), Sega Genesis and 32X, Game Gear, Lynx, PSP (2x), Vita, and Gold PS4.
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

I played both games as Crassus the Fighter with no continues just to see how far I may be able to get. These games aren't easy.

ToD - died on the first boss. That's saying something.

SoM - did better, died somewhere on Stage 3-B.
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
Sload Soap
Next-Gen

Post by Sload Soap »

Did two credit feeds through Tower of Doom as the Elf and Warrior. Honestly playing as the elf was a bit of a chore. I was going okay for a good while but then lost a bunch of lives all at once. I don't think her magic use makes up for the low attack power and health.

I think Tower is a pretty average game really, only slightly better than Knights of the Round and King of Dragons. It's certainly not as good as later Capcom fare like Battle Circuit, Armored Warriors or Shadow over Mystara. I think Tower is a very fussy game with some awkward controls and stale fighting.

Just so people know, there is a Capcom sale on Xbox live at the moment and Chronicles of Mystara is part of the deal. 66% off I think.
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

I wanted KoTR and KoD to be played along side these, or instead of, but to no avail. These games are good, but the other ones I think are better from Capcom.
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Played through both games tonight. Chose the elf of course (the cutest character). As a kid I used to think of both games as being somewhat equal in quality, but after playing through them so close together I see that Mystara is much, much better. Though it's way harder. I got through Tower of Doom continuing a handful of times - I think I can get it down to a dollar on a subsequent playthrough - but I get absolutely murdered in Mystara. Some of the bosses are insane, especially the final dragon where I'd end up taking tons of damage every time I went in for attacks.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Played through both games tonight. Chose the elf of course (the cutest character). As a kid I used to think of both games as being somewhat equal in quality, but after playing through them so close together I see that Mystara is much, much better. Though it's way harder. I got through Tower of Doom continuing a handful of times - I think I can get it down to a dollar on a subsequent playthrough - but I get absolutely murdered in Mystara. Some of the bosses are insane, especially the final dragon where I'd end up taking tons of damage every time I went in for attacks.

Which difficulty were you playing on? I credit fed through both of these at the weekend (in c-op with my girlfriend, so I didn't fancy trying to limit continues) and I used way, way more than a dollars worth. Probably slightly over 5 dollars on Shadow over Mystara in fact.

I played as the Elf in the first game, and although I switched around a bit, mostly stuck to the Thief in the second. Enemy hits do outrageous amounts of damage to you, some enemies were capable of killing me in 2 or 3 attacks.

Mystara is definitely the better game, but it felt much more unfair, especially towards the end. Lots of enemies that just don't seem balanced at all, and designed to be be money eaters.

I feel I need some practice here to get to a level I'm happy with. I probably won't be attempting a $1 run though :lol:
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

I suppose I was on "default" (normal?) difficulty. I didn't know you could change it.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:I suppose I was on "default" (normal?) difficulty. I didn't know you could change it.

It's an option on The Chronicles version on Wii U at least. Seems to be 4 difficulties. I left it on the default (2 out of 4) difficulty too.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

So I re-beat Tower of Doom the other day. Beat it spending $2.25, almost entirely spent on the stupid dark elf. Guy drives me crazy. I have yet to play Shadow Over Mystara though, so I should definitely take some time to play it.

Gotta play as Nipples the Dwarf though...that bastard is too good!
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

alienjesus wrote:
BoneSnapDeez wrote:I suppose I was on "default" (normal?) difficulty. I didn't know you could change it.

It's an option on The Chronicles version on Wii U at least. Seems to be 4 difficulties. I left it on the default (2 out of 4) difficulty too.

I'm playing on PS3.

Got Tower of Doom down to $1. The stages aren't so bad, but there are some tough bosses. Most of the early bosses I would beat with a little life left, and then buy a healing potion from the shop. I did have to continue at some of the later bosses though, that's where my "money" went. I've only been playing as an elf.

Mystara is still a bastard. In some aspects I find it easier. For instance it's really easy to spam enemies with the elf's arrows. Take some of the enemies too, the hellhounds for example - they are bastards in ToD but a cinch in Mystara.

The bosses in Mystara though. Damn those bosses. And I have to say, generally speaking, that I HATE floating/flying bosses in beat 'em ups like this. I always have trouble connecting hits.

Anyway, that's probably enough of these two games. Back to Ys. 8)