Together Retro: Shock Troopers

Join in on our classic gaming club!
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Re: Together Retro: Shock Troopers

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Played through this one during my daughter's naptime today.

PS2 version.

Finished it using four credits and the standard path - used my favorite character, Milky.

May try for a high score later.

This is probably my fave Neo Geo game.
Betagam7
128-bit

Post by Betagam7 »

The Wii version is the best one of the SNK collections to play as the others all suffer from slowdown.

The SNK collection version also has medals to win which is what I'll be aiming for here since I've already crossed it off my backloggery as a :B:
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

I have two medals.

Some of the requirements are pretty insane.
Betagam7
128-bit

Post by Betagam7 »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:I have two medals.

Some of the requirements are pretty insane.

I think the clue is in the title of those medals. I wondered why they were titled "knife frenzy" when they were just about racking up points. Then I noticed what using the knife does.

Big points hunters therefore need to forget the concept of run and gun with this game and instead focus on run and slash.

I just played through the team mode to get the medal you get for that. The game is far more violent than I remember, a definite step up from Metal Slug (the game I'd previously thought of this as a top down version of). I played the Jungle path and lost one continue per level and two on the final boss...not that I was particularly trying hard.

I only realised that the R-trigger lets you roll on the last stage. Wasn't expecting a button up there to be used for anything.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

so I just finished the game taking the jungle path with Milky. It took me 12 credits and I really rushed through it, just to get a feel of the game and the characters. I plan on doing a lot more and completing each path and will eventually try for 1 credit high scores. The month is still young afterall!
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

On one of the MVS cabs I originally played this game on, I remember a small strip that was included for Shock Troopers along the bottom-bezel of the monitor, it had a suggestion as to which route is best for each character. I managed to find it online, but this pic only has 5 of the 8 characters. Fortunately, I can remember the rest that aren't included in this pic.

So according to the insert that originally came with the game -

Best for Jungle: Jackal/Rio/Big Mama
Best for Valley: Milky/Marie Bee/Maru
Best for Mountain: Loki/Southern Cross

That means you could do at least 2 of the routes in Team Battle mode.
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
wip3outguy7
Next-Gen

Post by wip3outguy7 »

This makes me want to borrow my PS3 from my friend.
noiseredux wrote:I'm in.

http://i.imgur.com/jNx3yUB.jpg

If anyone wants to post hi-scores, me and mjmjr25 can try to keep the OP updated.

How well does it run on the Dreamcast?
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

Whelp, that one is done.

I can't say that I care much for it to be honest. It is slow and cheap and not very interesting visually. Last year when I played through the sequel I felt that ST1 was superior, but after replaying the original now I think that ST2 is the better game and that the series itself just isn't very interesting to me. I'd rather play Commando/Mercs or any of the Ikari Warriors games over this series, I think.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

Disagree on the cheap part massively. I find this one to be a lot fairer than the likes of Mercs.

My favourite character to use is is Marie Bee.

Interested to see how many continues different ports allow - I think the Wii Virtual Console one has it limited by default to 3? I'll have to check.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

alienjesus wrote:Disagree on the cheap part massively.

The standard enemies on each level are not cheap. The last few bosses? I found them to be nothing more than quarter munchers.