Together Retro: Metal Gear

Join in on our classic gaming club!
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Re: Together Retro: Metal Gear

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Stark wrote:I'm playing still albeit slowly. I beat the tank and bulldozer keeps running me over. :(

You have to shoot really, really fast from exactly the right spot. It is a complete pain.
Stark
Next-Gen

Post by Stark »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:
Stark wrote:I'm playing still albeit slowly. I beat the tank and bulldozer keeps running me over. :(

You have to shoot really, really fast from exactly the right spot. It is a complete pain.

Yeah it's one of those, I know what to do, I just haven't been able to execute yet. Third time's the charm?
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Stark wrote:
prfsnl_gmr wrote:

Yeah it's one of those, I know what to do, I just haven't been able to execute yet. Third time's the charm?

If you are about to get hit, just leave the room and re-enter. You have to start from scratch, but the bulldozer will be back where it started. This is a good way to practice. (Also - and assuming I recall correctly - you can restock your ammo by walking back to the room to the left of the bulldozer room.)
Aramonde
128-bit

Post by Aramonde »

So i just started playing and today and holy fuck this game is hard! I'm playing the MSX2 version using blueMSX. I think a big reason its hard is because of the controls. I'm not a PC gamer at all and hate using a keyboard to play any game. But even then who the fuck thought it was a good idea to have N and M as the punch buttons?!!!

I don't know if i can play this game like this. Is the NES version really that bad? Because i might switch to that just for the controller.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Aramonde wrote:So i just started playing and today and holy fuck this game is hard! I'm playing the MSX2 version using blueMSX. I think a big reason its hard is because of the controls. I'm not a PC gamer at all and hate using a keyboard to play any game. But even then who the fuck thought it was a good idea to have N and M as the punch buttons?!!!

I don't know if i can play this game like this. Is the NES version really that bad? Because i might switch to that just for the controller.

If possible, you should play the MSX version through the Metal Gear Solid: Subsistence (PS2) or the Metal Gear collections for the 360, PS3, and PS Vita.

That said...the NES version isn't that bad.
Last edited by prfsnl_gmr on Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

More Metal Gear Solid (GBC).

This time I finished up missions 8, 9 and 10 of 11.

Mission 8 wasnt so bad, but it was pretty long and a bit annoying at times. I had to get through a power plant using the classic 'disable electric floors with a nikita missile' that this series adores so much. Some of the panels were a pain to hit due to gun cameras shooting them down. Still think I just lucked past some. The boss of the stage was fairly tough, he was alright. He used a flmaethrower which was hard to dodge whilst hitting him, but he didnt feel cheap or unfair.

Stage 9 on the other hand I hated. You had to destroy the 4 pillars holding the power plant together with C4. After trying to figure out what I was actually looking for, I looked it up on line. After finding 2 of them, but not the rest, I got annoyed and looked up the locations online too - only they weren't there. I spent ages trying to figure it out, only to realise that they're random. There are about 10 pillars in the stage, and the spot to blow up will be randomly on one corner of those 10. Another long winded search and I eventually found them all though.

Mission 10 was a relief after the long winded nature of the previous 2. A simple jog up a mountain, then a fun boss fight against a helicopter.

Last mission now, but I've had enough this evening, and it looks long. Tomorrow I should finish this one up though.

Overall, I'm enjoying it, but the missions actually put me off for some reason, the levels have lots of frustrating elements and the game feels a bit cut back in scope. Maybe I'm just Metal Geared out, but this is probably my least favourite of the 4 games in the series I have played.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

Metal Gear Solid for Game Boy Colour is finished!

Final stats:
Play Time: 3:38:37
Being Found: 45 times
Enemies: 26 killed
Rations: 19 used
Code Name: Bat

I wasn't very stealthy in this one. My main tactic was to punch people in the head when they were turned the other way.

I liked this game, and it's impressive for the GBC, but it feels a bit stripped back compared to the MSX games in terms of ambition, and the level design isn't as good. It's fun, but probably the weakest of the 3. The fight with Metal Gear was a bastard in this one though.

Anyhow, thats all the 2D Metal Gear games I'm likely to play. It was a good together retro month, and I feel I've enjoyed my time with the games. I;ve now played all of what I consider to be the 'old style' Metal Gear games (Metal Gear, Metal Gear 2, Metal Gear Solid GBC and Metal Gear Solid PS1) with overhead view and simple stealth. Now I suppose I should try the more complex stealth of the later games at some point. Maybe Metal Gear Solid 2 can go on my summer games marathon.
Violent By Design
Next-Gen

Post by Violent By Design »

alienjesus wrote:Metal Gear Solid for Game Boy Colour is finished!

Final stats:
Play Time: 3:38:37
Being Found: 45 times
Enemies: 26 killed
Rations: 19 used
Code Name: Bat

I wasn't very stealthy in this one. My main tactic was to punch people in the head when they were turned the other way.

I liked this game, and it's impressive for the GBC, but it feels a bit stripped back compared to the MSX games in terms of ambition, and the level design isn't as good. It's fun, but probably the weakest of the 3. The fight with Metal Gear was a bastard in this one though.

Anyhow, thats all the 2D Metal Gear games I'm likely to play. It was a good together retro month, and I feel I've enjoyed my time with the games. I;ve now played all of what I consider to be the 'old style' Metal Gear games (Metal Gear, Metal Gear 2, Metal Gear Solid GBC and Metal Gear Solid PS1) with overhead view and simple stealth. Now I suppose I should try the more complex stealth of the later games at some point. Maybe Metal Gear Solid 2 can go on my summer games marathon.

How would you rank the metal gear games?
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

Violent By Design wrote:How would you rank the metal gear games?

Depends if you mean in terms of which I feel are objectively better, or which I enjoyed more. This is the order of which I think is 'better':

Metal Gear Solid (PS1)
Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake (MSX)
Metal Gear (MSX)
Metal Gear Solid (GBC)

However, I think, despite it being a more dated and simpler game, I enjoyed Metal Gear for MSX more than it's sequel. The top and bottom place still stand though.
Melek-Ric
32-bit

Post by Melek-Ric »

I'm going to try to power through the rest of the game this weekend. I started it, but got stuck about an hour in. I've been neglecting this game since then because I've been addicted to other titles recently.
"Challenging my unit was both foolish and reckless! You are nothing more than my prey... one that is soon to be retired!"