POLL / BE HEARD: December Game for TR

Join in on our classic gaming club!

Which of the following options should be do for December?

Poll ended at Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:40 pm

Play SPACE HARRIER along with SHOCK TROOPERS as co-games of the months. Play Deus Ex in December.
44%
Play SHOCK TROOPERS by itself and choose either DEUS EX or SPACE HARRIER in December (vote would determine which of those two)
56%

Total votes: 16

mjmjr25

POLL / BE HEARD: December Game for TR

Post by mjmjr25 »

Please vote; post your persuasive arguments.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Re: POLL / BE HEARD: December Game for TR

Post by alienjesus »

Space Harrier and Shock Troopers are not alike.

I don't care whether we choose Deus Ex or Space Harrier. I think both suck. I don't want either encroaching on Shock Troopers' time to shine though.
mjmjr25

Post by mjmjr25 »

alienjesus wrote:Space Harrier and Shock Troopers are not alike..

I didn't suggest they were. You, menogo and exed are the most active in the main thread at this point. Menogo made the suggestion to combine them, Exed quoted him and backed the suggestion. Trying to at least give their suggestions some light and proper vote. The community can decide...
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

mjmjr25 wrote:
alienjesus wrote:Space Harrier and Shock Troopers are not alike..

I didn't suggest they were. You, menogo and exed are the most active in the main thread at this point. Menogo made the suggestion to combine them, Exed quoted him and backed the suggestion. Trying to at least give their suggestions some light and proper vote. The community can decide...

Hey, you asked people to vote and post their arguments, thats what I did. I wasn't accusing you of anything :lol:

I was just giving my rationale for voting nope to space harrier and shock troopers sharing a month.

The only time I think two different games should share a month is during October, when we have a theme. Other than 'shooting' Shock Troopers and Space Harrier dont share a lot in common - and lots of games come under 'shooting' as a theme :lol:
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

Fair enough poll for now, but SH had more numerical votes than DE did, so I think it wouldn't stand a chance in a final poll of a community. I agree with Menegrothx (his idea) that Space Harrier and Shock Troopers are really good, quick, mindless arcade action and would go well together, and it would make everyone happy to all these the highly discussed games kept. I really wish it didn't have to come down to this but let's see what happens and hope it doesn't get to that point.
Last edited by ExedExes on Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

ExedExes wrote:Fair enough poll for now, but SH had more numerical votes than DE did, so I think it wouldn't stand a chance in a final poll of a community. I really wish it didn't have to come down to this but let's see what happens and hope it doesn't get to that point.

Just barely. Oddworld had more _+1s than Lost Vikings too, and that lost in the polling stage, so you can't tell for sure.
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

alienjesus wrote:Just barely. Oddworld had more _+1s than Lost Vikings too, and that lost in the polling stage, so you can't tell for sure.

True, very true. Thanks for that. As well as the tie with Ape Escape & Psychonauts. Ok then. Deep breaths! :lol:
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

no. drop this poll, Mike. They aren't related and for those of us who have to do the write ups this is dumb. Space Harrier and ST should be in. Deus Ex can be debated again next year.
Menegrothx
Next-Gen

Post by Menegrothx »

alienjesus wrote:The only time I think two different games should share a month is during October, when we have a theme. Other than 'shooting' Shock Troopers and Space Harrier dont share a lot in common - and lots of games come under 'shooting' as a theme :lol:

It's not the only month with more than one game, there's also going to be a Capcom Beat 'em up Month (by the looks of it atleast).
If people are going to put 30-50 hours into a single game during some months, then two 30-40 minute games on the same month should not be a problem. You can make the argument that having multiple games takes the spotlight away from each others (but not during October apparently?), but it's done multiple times before and there's simply not much to a game like Space Harrier (or Shock Troopers for that matter). There's not a whole lot of discussion a game like that can generate compared to a game like Phantasy Star Online, Final Fantasy 11, Ultima 4 or Deus Ex that have a lot more content, more complex gameplay mechanics, multiple different ways to play the games, branching storylines, multiplayer content, much more thematically deep storylines etc.
dsheinem wrote:no. drop this poll, Mike. They aren't related and for those of us who have to do the write ups this is dumb. Space Harrier and ST should be in. Deus Ex can be debated again next year.

How is this
November: Arcade game (shooter/Rail TPS)
December: Arcade game (shooter/run n gun)
Better than this
November: Arcade game (shooter)
December: FPS/aRPG game

If we're going by the logic that votes (cast in the TR 2014 thread) are irrelevant, then we should vote Shock Troopers vs Space Harrier and Deus Ex vs Blood, games that share the same genre
My WTB thread (Sega CD/Saturn games)
Also looking to buy: Ys III (TG-16 CD), Shadowrun (Genesis) Hori N64 mini pad and Slayer (3DO) in long box/just the long box
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

Menegrothx wrote:
alienjesus wrote:The only time I think two different games should share a month is during October, when we have a theme. Other than 'shooting' Shock Troopers and Space Harrier dont share a lot in common - and lots of games come under 'shooting' as a theme :lol:

It's not the only month with more than one game, there's also going to be a Capcom Beat 'em up Month (by the looks of it atleast).
If people are going to put 30-50 hours into a single game during some months, then two 30-40 minute games on the same month should not be a problem. You can make the argument that having multiple games takes the spotlight away from each others (but not during October apparently?), but it's done multiple times before and there's simply not much to a game like Space Harrier (or Shock Troopers for that matter). There's not a whole lot of discussion a game like that can generate compared to a game like Phantasy Star Online, Final Fantasy 11, Ultima 4 or Deus Ex that have a lot more content, more complex gameplay mechanics, multiple different ways to play the games, branching storylines, multiplayer content, much more thematically deep storylines etc.
dsheinem wrote:no. drop this poll, Mike. They aren't related and for those of us who have to do the write ups this is dumb. Space Harrier and ST should be in. Deus Ex can be debated again next year.

How is this
November: Arcade game (shooter/Rail TPS)
December: Arcade game (shooter/run n gun)
Better than this
November: Arcade game (shooter)
December: FPS/aRPG game

If we're going by the logic that votes (cast in the TR 2014 thread) are irrelevant, then we should vote Shock Troopers vs Space Harrier and Deus Ex vs Blood, games that share the same genre

I wasn't taking the months listed as the ones actually assigned to the games (we've not yet had that discussion) but as placeholders. A rail game in March and a RNG in December would be fine.

Blood is under consideration in the Horror genre, not as an FPS specifically.