83%
FFXI
17%

Total votes : 29
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Re: PSO or FFXI - VOTE / BE HEARD

by fastbilly1 Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:05 pm

The only issue with PSO is that all online play is through Schtserv. So everyone will have to create an account on that site first to get the server information. If it wins, that is something that should be done atleast a month out - just to be safe.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:25 pm

There wasn't ever a physical version of Blue Burst released in the US was there?
Nemoide
Next-Gen

by Nemoide Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:57 pm

FFXI! Because I already play it! And PSO isn't even an MMO!

I'd like to be able to play PSO also, but it will depend on how many hoops I want to jump through in order to get my Dreamcast version online...
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

by dunpeal2064 Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:02 am

BoneSnapDeez wrote:There wasn't ever a physical version of Blue Burst released in the US was there?

Nope, its not even lisenced by Sega, so no physical release. Its free though!

I went for PSO. If this is supposed to be MMO-month, then FFXI makes more sense... but it wouldn't be the MMO I'd vote for if I had more than one option.

I mean, this is supposed to be a list of timeless, defining games that everyone should play at some point. While I do love FFXI, I don't think it fits this criteria. Everquest and Ultima Online are F2P, and are legendary. If we are going to pay for an MMO that is important and defining, well.... you know what we should be playing. :lol:

Also, PSO is legendary, and I think everyone should play it at least once. So, I think it fits the criteria better as a TR game, even if it is not an MMO.

fastbilly1 wrote:The only issue with PSO is that all online play is through Schtserv. So everyone will have to create an account on that site first to get the server information. If it wins, that is something that should be done atleast a month out - just to be safe.

It only took me 30 minutes or so to get set up with this. I don't think its any more taxing than signing up for PlayOnline and getting FFXI up-and-running.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:42 am

dunpeal2064 wrote:
I mean, this is supposed to be a list of timeless, defining games that everyone should play at some point. While I do love FFXI, I don't think it fits this criteria. Everquest and Ultima Online are F2P, and are legendary. If we are going to pay for an MMO that is important and defining, well.... you know what we should be playing. :lol:

First I heard of this. We play some great games for Together Retro, but I/d be hard pressed to describe Urban Strike or Riviera as 'defining games'
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

by dunpeal2064 Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:51 am

Maybe not defining games then, but at least games that we feel everyone should experience once, yeah?

I guess I just don't see FFXI as "the" MMO that everyone needs to experience. I'm saying this as someone who spend countless nights on Fairy server leveling Warrior, Paladin, and White Mage.

If we are going to pick an MMO, then more than one should be up for vote. If we are going to pick a game that everyone should experience, regardless of genre (Or, in this case, sub-genre), then I think PSO is a much better cantidate.

Just my opinion, of course. :)
fastbilly1
Site Admin

by fastbilly1 Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:59 am

dunpeal2064 wrote:
fastbilly1 wrote:The only issue with PSO is that all online play is through Schtserv. So everyone will have to create an account on that site first to get the server information. If it wins, that is something that should be done atleast a month out - just to be safe.

It only took me 30 minutes or so to get set up with this. I don't think its any more taxing than signing up for PlayOnline and getting FFXI up-and-running.

Good to hear. When I last tried it took me a month to get my email back.
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

by dunpeal2064 Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:52 am

When did you try? I downloaded it a few years back, so hopefully this isn't a more recent problem. If so, that would be pretty disappointing :(
Sload Soap
Next-Gen

by Sload Soap Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:25 am

Why did you play Urban strike over Desert and Jungle? Boggles the mind.

Went for PSO in this round as I can play it on my own on me dreamcast if needs be.
pierrot
Next-Gen

by pierrot Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:41 pm

PSO was originally advertised as the first console MMO. I'm not exactly sure what criteria people are using to say that it isn't an MMO. PC MMOs may be able to keep a greater number of player characters on a server, but compared to a game like FFXI, the party limitations are still rather similar. (Aside from the rarer instances of ally partying.)

I would love for everyone to experience FFXI (circa 2005/6) just because it's so commonly disregarded from the numbered series by fans, but I think it would make for a really poor choice for TR.

PSO should have something for anyone who chooses to give it a shot, whether online or offline, and I would almost guarantee results if a group of 4-12 consistently make it online.
Return to Together Retro