mjmjr25

Ape Escape or Psychonauts - VOTE / BE HEARD

Post by mjmjr25 »

Make your pick for TR
pierrot
Next-Gen

Re: Ape Escape or Psychonauts - VOTE / BE HEARD

Post by pierrot »

I could have voted for either one of these games, but ultimately I chose Psychonauts, as I've never played any of it, and I'm very curious to see if it is as majestic as people seem to say it is.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Neither one looks that thrilling to me honestly. I went with Ape Escape because it looks a bit more like something I could get into.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

I like the idea of both, but went for Ape Escape because I nominated it
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

I am here to openly support Psychonauts.

Check out the trailer on steam.
Menegrothx
Next-Gen

Post by Menegrothx »

Although I'm biased because it's a childhood favorite of mine, I think that Ape Escape is one of the finest 3D platformers of all time. It's also a true innovator, the way it was the first game to use both analog sticks in the control sceheme. No game (except it's substandard sequels, I guess) that I know of plays like it. It also has a great soundtrack.
However the game suffers from camera problems like many games of that era do.

While Psychonauts is a very well written and charming game, the actual gameplay part of it is substandard, or boringly average. I personally think the creator should've sticked to creating games like Monkey Island and Grim Fandango, and I'm not saying that in a derogatory manner, they're one of the funniest games there are.

I personally voted for Ape Escape but either way is fine with me. Ape Escape has more well refined gameplay (though not perfect, being a 3D game on the PS1), while Psychonauts is a boring collecthathon that has an unique visual style, some memorable level design and great writing (story&setting, memorable characters etc).
My WTB thread (Sega CD/Saturn games)
Also looking to buy: Ys III (TG-16 CD), Shadowrun (Genesis) Hori N64 mini pad and Slayer (3DO) in long box/just the long box
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

I have to disagree with you here. I found the controls of Ape Escape frustratingly bad. It felt like the developers wanted to force me to use the analog sticks, but didn't refine how well those analog sticks work.

I don't want to spend this whole post being negative, so instead of bashing my opponent, I'll say good things about Psychonauts.

One of the many strengths of Psychonauts is level design. Worlds are based on the delusions of the characters minds. Of of the characters believes himself to be descended from Napoleon. The level design of his mental world is a board game of GO fused with the battle of Waterloo.

Another level comes from the mind of Edgar, the hispanic painter. His mental world is a black velvet painting come to life where it is always Día de Los Muertos.

You can find more mental worlds on the Psychonauts wiki
Opa Opa

Post by Opa Opa »

Apes!
Violent By Design
Next-Gen

Post by Violent By Design »

Ape Escape!!! Ive been looking for an excuse to buy it.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

I voted Psychonauts. It's one of those games that always seems to pop up on lists of games everyone should experience. Yet I've never had an interest, even though I love the folks who created it. So... I guess I like the idea of a good reason to force myself to finally play it.