Join in on our classic gaming club!
AppleQueso
 

Re: Together Retro: ZAMN / Silent Hill 2

by AppleQueso Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:44 am

noiseredux wrote:
AppleQueso wrote:SH doesn't even make you worry about stuff like ink ribbons and item boxes.


and that I appreciate!

And just to clarify, I don't dislike SH2. I just can't seem to get "sucked in" long enough to just play to the end.

Maybe one o' these days... :lol:
Menegrothx
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 2657
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:22 am

Re: Together Retro: ZAMN / Silent Hill 2

by Menegrothx Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:40 pm

noiseredux wrote:And just to clarify, I don't dislike SH2. I just can't seem to get "sucked in" long enough to just play to the end.

Didn't you say you adore SH2 in the Planescape: Torment thread? I don't see how any one could adore this game with out having completed it, it's not a masterpiece untill you play the storyline right till the end. It's a short(ish) and linear game anyways so it's not hard to complete
My WTB thread (Sega CD/Saturn games)
Also looking to buy: Ys III (TG-16 CD), Shadowrun (Genesis) Hori N64 mini pad and Slayer (3DO) in long box/just the long box
User avatar
Ack
Moderator
 
Posts: 21512
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:26 pm
Location: Atlanta, GA

Re: Together Retro: ZAMN / Silent Hill 2

by Ack Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:48 pm

Menegrothx wrote:
noiseredux wrote:And just to clarify, I don't dislike SH2. I just can't seem to get "sucked in" long enough to just play to the end.

Didn't you say you adore SH2 in the Planescape: Torment thread? I don't see how any one could adore this game with out having completed it, it's not a masterpiece untill you play the storyline right till the end. It's a short(ish) and linear game anyways so it's not hard to complete


Have you ever noticed you have a serious obsession with completing games, Menegroth? It seems like you feel people cannot hold an opinion of a game without having beaten it.
Image
Image
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
AppleQueso
 

Re: Together Retro: ZAMN / Silent Hill 2

by AppleQueso Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:25 pm

SH2 really is a game that's best experienced from beginning to end though.
User avatar
Ack
Moderator
 
Posts: 21512
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:26 pm
Location: Atlanta, GA

Re: Together Retro: ZAMN / Silent Hill 2

by Ack Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:31 pm

AppleQueso wrote:SH2 really is a game that's best experienced from beginning to end though.


I'd agree, but I've seen him comment in a few other threads about people not finishing games.
Image
Image
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
Menegrothx
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 2657
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:22 am

Re: Together Retro: ZAMN / Silent Hill 2

by Menegrothx Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:30 pm

That's because there's storytelling where all elements fall into place at the end, and things that seemed meaningless are given meaning, thus making a full play through required for complete understanding&appreciation of the story. To give an example from the game that's being fought over in TR right now: Gunther Hermann is such a major character in Deus Ex. If you say the game is boring and quit during the first 5 hours, you never get to see the pay off. It's the same with Arcanum. Some of the best story telling in video games, but you're going to miss if if you don't play it all the way through.
My WTB thread (Sega CD/Saturn games)
Also looking to buy: Ys III (TG-16 CD), Shadowrun (Genesis) Hori N64 mini pad and Slayer (3DO) in long box/just the long box
User avatar
Ack
Moderator
 
Posts: 21512
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:26 pm
Location: Atlanta, GA

Re: Together Retro: ZAMN / Silent Hill 2

by Ack Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:32 pm

Menegrothx wrote:That's because there's storytelling where all elements fall into place at the end, and things that seemed meaningless are given meaning, thus making a full play through required for complete understanding&appreciation of the story. To give an example from the game that's being fought over in TR right now: Gunther Hermann is such a major character in Deus Ex. If you say the game is boring and quit during the first 5 hours, you never get to see the pay off. It's the same with Arcanum. Some of the best story telling in video games, but you're going to miss if if you don't play it all the way through.


Sure, but if other elements don't fall into place, then the storyline's payoff won't save it. And I don't think we should be criticizing folks for not experiencing the full story when gameplay elements (and potentially story presentation) are so offputting that they never make it through to the end.
Image
Image
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
Menegrothx
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 2657
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:22 am

Re: Together Retro: ZAMN / Silent Hill 2

by Menegrothx Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:35 pm

As long as they don't criticize the story
My WTB thread (Sega CD/Saturn games)
Also looking to buy: Ys III (TG-16 CD), Shadowrun (Genesis) Hori N64 mini pad and Slayer (3DO) in long box/just the long box
User avatar
Ack
Moderator
 
Posts: 21512
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:26 pm
Location: Atlanta, GA

Re: Together Retro: ZAMN / Silent Hill 2

by Ack Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:41 pm

Menegrothx wrote:As long as they don't criticize the story


But they have every right to criticize whatever part of the story they exerpienced. Perhaps the presentation was horrid. Perhaps the pacing drags or is overly emphasized at the expense of gameplay. People are freely able to criticize based on their perceptions, even if those perceptions are based on a limited experience. As long as they are willing to admit to that limited experience, then I don't see any issue. And on top of it, their experience may be limited simply because they found they disliked what they played. Even story-driven games like SH2 or Deus Ex.
Image
Image
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
Menegrothx
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 2657
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:22 am

Re: Together Retro: ZAMN / Silent Hill 2

by Menegrothx Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:27 pm

I was told that From Dusk till Dawn is a good vampire movie. However all I saw was some psychotic bank robbers on a road trip so I left the theatre after 30 boring minutes had passed. Talk about false advertising. This movie sucks.

- Roger Ebert
My WTB thread (Sega CD/Saturn games)
Also looking to buy: Ys III (TG-16 CD), Shadowrun (Genesis) Hori N64 mini pad and Slayer (3DO) in long box/just the long box
Return to Together Retro

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests