Together Retro: ZAMN / Silent Hill 2

Join in on our classic gaming club!
AppleQueso

Re: Together Retro: ZAMN / Silent Hill 2

Post by AppleQueso »

Xeogred wrote:Maybe this should be its own thread, but I'm curious to hear a rundown on the Silent Hill games from some fans. It's one of those series I've somehow just not gotten into over the years. I dabbled into 2 years back and liked it, but that's about as deep as my exposure to the whole franchise ever got. I've always heard a lot and gathered opinions on them all over the years though.

Finally think I'll try to play 2 again sometime this month.

1, 2, and 3 are all really good. 2's probably the best of those, but 1 and 3 are no slouch either. 3's a direct sequel to 1, while 2 (and the rest of the series for that matter) is standalone.

4 is... interesting. They tried to take the series in a new direction, which kinda works in some ways and kinda not in others. I think it's probably worth playing, but don't expect it to be anything like the first 3.

After those, Team Silent was disbanded and the series was handed over to a rotating door of different western development teams. I've played a bunch of those a bit, and while they aren't necessarily bad games in their own right, most of them try desperately to "feel" like the first 3 games and end up missing the mark and feeling like imitators. If they tried less to be like "Silent Hill 1/2/3 redux" and tried more to be their own things, they'd probably be more enjoyable.

Shattered Memories is an exception to this, and is probably the best of the western developed games. It's not perfect, but I really like how for once the developers went out of their way to create their own idea of Silent Hill instead of just sticking to imitations of the classic games. If you play any of the post-Team Silent ones, play this one, it really is unique and carves its own niche. I'd recommend playing the original Silent Hill before touching this one though. It's kinda a really loose retelling of the original game's story, but it throws in a lot of twists that are definitely more effective if you're familiar with how things play out in the original.
Opa Opa

Post by Opa Opa »

Well my five (or is it six?) year-old budget laptop can't run SH 2 worth a flip. I need to get a decent pc set up so I can finally run this ten year old game. :lol:
At least I can run the games on GOG. :P

I'll have to either play the game on ps2 or grab the hd collection somewhere.
AppleQueso

Post by AppleQueso »

Opa Opa wrote:I'll have to either play the game on ps2 or grab the hd collection somewhere.

There's a port on the original Xbox. It's by far the cheapest and it's better than the Ps2 version.
Opa Opa

Post by Opa Opa »

Eh, I know the oXbox version probably looks better but I already have 3 copies of the PS2 version. If I'm going to get yet another copy of Silent Hill 2 I'll more than likely get the HD collection 'cause I'd like to check out the new voice overs for SH 3 eventually.
AppleQueso

Post by AppleQueso »

Opa Opa wrote:Eh, I know the oXbox version probably looks better but I already have 3 copies of the PS2 version. If I'm going to get yet another copy of Silent Hill 2 I'll more than likely get the HD collection 'cause I'd like to check out the new voice overs for SH 3 eventually.

Oh, I didn't know you already had it on Ps2.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

AppleQueso wrote:
Xeogred wrote:Maybe this should be its own thread, but I'm curious to hear a rundown on the Silent Hill games from some fans. It's one of those series I've somehow just not gotten into over the years. I dabbled into 2 years back and liked it, but that's about as deep as my exposure to the whole franchise ever got. I've always heard a lot and gathered opinions on them all over the years though.

Finally think I'll try to play 2 again sometime this month.

1, 2, and 3 are all really good. 2's probably the best of those, but 1 and 3 are no slouch either. 3's a direct sequel to 1, while 2 (and the rest of the series for that matter) is standalone.

4 is... interesting. They tried to take the series in a new direction, which kinda works in some ways and kinda not in others. I think it's probably worth playing, but don't expect it to be anything like the first 3.

After those, Team Silent was disbanded and the series was handed over to a rotating door of different western development teams. I've played a bunch of those a bit, and while they aren't necessarily bad games in their own right, most of them try desperately to "feel" like the first 3 games and end up missing the mark and feeling like imitators. If they tried less to be like "Silent Hill 1/2/3 redux" and tried more to be their own things, they'd probably be more enjoyable.

Shattered Memories is an exception to this, and is probably the best of the western developed games. It's not perfect, but I really like how for once the developers went out of their way to create their own idea of Silent Hill instead of just sticking to imitations of the classic games. If you play any of the post-Team Silent ones, play this one, it really is unique and carves its own niche. I'd recommend playing the original Silent Hill before touching this one though. It's kinda a really loose retelling of the original game's story, but it throws in a lot of twists that are definitely more effective if you're familiar with how things play out in the original.

Good stuff... I guess either way they honestly all sound worth checking out. Guess it'll just be a matter of which ones leave a real impression.

I can say the first one seems pretty rough. I like tank controls and such a lot actually, but that one in particular, whoa lol... I'll have to give it another shot someday.

Do you guys still advise against the HD versions of 2-3? I know it has a redub, so ... yeah I don't know. Well I ordered SH2 for the PS2 again anyways (lost my copy somehow).

Also is there any version of Homecoming that CAN invert the Y-axis? I remember the 360 version was bugged. You could change it in the options, but it did nothing. Does the PS3 version work or did they finally patch this years later? I seriously probably can't play it if it doesn't work... lol.
AppleQueso

Post by AppleQueso »

Xeogred wrote:I can say the first one seems pretty rough. I like tank controls and such a lot actually, but that one in particular, whoa lol... I'll have to give it another shot someday.

Do you guys still advise against the HD versions of 2-3? I know it has a redub, so ... yeah I don't know. Well I ordered SH2 for the PS2 again anyways (lost my copy somehow).

I probably would. The redub is kinda unecessary and both games are still pretty buggy. Silent Hill 3's lighting system was really screwed up in the HD version too, which is a shame because that lighting made it one of the prettiest games on the Ps2. (Well "pretty" might not be the best word for bloodstained walls and gross meat-y things, but it looks damn good.)

The PC versions of both are the best, but they can be hard to find. If you can find some hi-res screenshots of the PC version of SH3, it actually looks on par with the Ps3/360 entries.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

I remember some videos showing off some boat/water scene that looked pretty bad in the HD release. Guess they only bothered to fix other weird gameplay bugs?

Also noticed Homecoming is on the PC, so I guess if I get around to it and am still interested I imagine there's definitely ways you can make that one play inverted. So I'll check it out that way.

Now I know the together retro is SH2 and I just ordered it... buuuut now I'm thinking I'll go ahead and try to give the original a shot again tomorrow or something. Maybe I'll finish both and more for the month, haha. I still want to dive back into Fatal Frame (played the first two with friends back in the day), but those I seriously don't know if I can handle alone. I played enough of SH2 to see how intense and messed up the series can get, but man Fatal Frame is on another level for me.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

AppleQueso

Post by AppleQueso »

noiseredux wrote:anyone playing this "port" of SH2? :lol:

http://www.freepcgamers.com/2012/04/sou ... ain-2.html

IIRC that one ends when you reach the apartment.

It's a pretty well done demake actually. I think the developer went on to make an original horror game with a similar visual style.