Join in on our classic gaming club!
Damm64
Next-Gen

Re: Together Retro: ZAMN / Silent Hill 2

Post by Damm64 »

Ack wrote:
jay_red wrote:
AppleQueso wrote:SH2:

The clunky combat controls are supposed to encourage you to avoid combat actually. Running away is almost always a better option, frankly you shouldn't be trying to kill things unless they're blocking your way or you need to clear a room or something.

I usually play the games with action level on "hard", which bumps up the enemy count and makes them tougher to kill, so I obviously don't mind the combat.

Well this could make it a little more tolerable, I thought the enemies would chase you if you just passed them.

I remember the first time i played this, i was killing EVERYTHING I SAW with that stick just to "save" ammo, at the end of the appartment section i have like 100+ pistol bullets on my inventory. That's how i ruin survival horror games... over stock ridiculous amounts of ammo.

Maybe i'll try to re-play SH2... i didn't try any games on together retro this year :?
noiseredux wrote:I don't lend shit and I don't borrow shit.

Hatta
Next-Gen

Post by Hatta »

I found some time to play ZAMN a bit this weekend. Best score was 130565, made it to level 20.

I really wish there were more buttons to assign weapons to. Or even just a menu I could look at so I don't accidentally go past the weapon I want.

That giant baby is hard. The best way I've found to deal with it was to use 2 red potions and just wail on it. After that, I can take it out with coke cans if I'm quick. If not, a pandoras box or two will finish it off. Also, using the speed sneakers at the very beginning is great to get the victims before the baby stomps them.
We are prepared to live in the plain and die in the plain!
Violent By Design
Next-Gen

Post by Violent By Design »

How many levels is ZAMN?
Hatta
Next-Gen

Post by Hatta »

48 normal levels, 7 bonus levels, and then it wraps around at the end?
We are prepared to live in the plain and die in the plain!
Ack

Post by Ack »

Violent By Design wrote:How many levels is ZAMN?

55 overall levels(including bonus levels). I've beaten it, but it was during summer breaks as a kid and had a lot of free time to sink into it.

And for you SH2 players, AMMUNITION IS FOR BOSSES ONLY! YOU WILL NEED IT! Ok, maybe I don't need to make that in all caps, but seriously, all those bullets you are walking around with? You're going to need to hold onto those for the boss fights. They're not impossible with only melee, but they are significantly easier when you have bullets to rely on. And some of the bosses can absorb punishment like a sponge(PH is a fucking hoss, trust me), so don't go wasting them on the trash enemies that wander around. Only use a bullet if you absolutely have to.

And for the record, I tend to use the knife a lot in Resident Evil.
Opa Opa

Post by Opa Opa »

Ack wrote:
55 overall levels(including bonus levels). I've beaten it, but it was during summer breaks as a kid and had a lot of free time to sink into it.

And for you SH2 players, AMMUNITION IS FOR BOSSES ONLY! YOU WILL NEED IT! Ok, maybe I don't need to make that in all caps, but seriously, all those bullets you are walking around with? You're going to need to hold onto those for the boss fights. They're not impossible with only melee, but they are significantly easier when you have bullets to rely on. And some of the bosses can absorb punishment like a sponge(PH is a fucking hoss, trust me), so don't go wasting them on the trash enemies that wander around. Only use a bullet if you absolutely have to.

Considering you can just WALK past 75% of enemies you really shouldn't be concerned about running low on ammo...
Ack

Post by Ack »

Opa Opa wrote:
Ack wrote:

Considering you can just WALK past 75% of enemies you really shouldn't be concerned about running low on ammo...

Yeah, but folks get antsy when you start telling them that Pyramid Head can take 25 rounds to the face and keep coming.
Menegrothx
Next-Gen

Post by Menegrothx »

Ack wrote: And some of the bosses can absorb punishment like a sponge(PH is a fucking hoss, trust me)

You don't have to fire at him at all, he'll disappear eventually whether you shoot him or not.
My WTB thread (Sega CD/Saturn games)
Also looking to buy: Ys III (TG-16 CD), Shadowrun (Genesis) Hori N64 mini pad and Slayer (3DO) in long box/just the long box
Ack

Post by Ack »

Menegrothx wrote:
Ack wrote: And some of the bosses can absorb punishment like a sponge(PH is a fucking hoss, trust me)

You don't have to fire at him at all, he'll disappear eventually whether you shoot him or not.

You realize you're taking all the fun out of this, right?
Damm64
Next-Gen

Post by Damm64 »

Ack wrote:
Violent By Design wrote:How many levels is ZAMN?

In what dificulty are you playing it? I always had plenty of ammo on my first playthrogh on normal.
noiseredux wrote:I don't lend shit and I don't borrow shit.