Join in on our classic gaming club!
User avatar
ExedExes
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 7334
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:56 pm
Location: HI-POINT AREA

Re: Together Retro: Fatal Fury Special

by ExedExes Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:32 am

sevin0seven wrote:so i've played the SFC, Sega CD, Mega Drive, Game Gear and finally the AES version of FFS to complete my Together Retro play through. :)

There's an MD version? I didn't see it anywhere.
Image
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
User avatar
sevin0seven
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 8939
Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 12:18 pm
Location: Bay Area, CA

Re: Together Retro: Fatal Fury Special

by sevin0seven Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:45 pm

ExedExes wrote:
sevin0seven wrote:so i've played the SFC, Sega CD, Mega Drive, Game Gear and finally the AES version of FFS to complete my Together Retro play through. :)

There's an MD version? I didn't see it anywhere.


oh no, i meant the Sega CD...which i already listed in there. ooops. :lol:
Visit my store: sevin0seven Marketplace
Bay Area Cali: Meet-up Thread
Custom Art Covers & Labels: Click here
Game Room: Click here
User avatar
ExedExes
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 7334
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:56 pm
Location: HI-POINT AREA

Re: Together Retro: Fatal Fury Special

by ExedExes Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:13 pm

sevin0seven wrote:[oh no, i meant the Sega CD...which i already listed in there. ooops. :lol:

Thank goodness. I wouldn't have time to try anymore ports :lol: A while back, I remember an NES bootleg or "homebrew" of FFS. I played it for all of 5 minutes on an emulator, but it would be just as you'd imagine it to be.
Image
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
User avatar
Nemoide
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 2083
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:37 pm
Location: Monster Island

Re: Together Retro: Fatal Fury Special

by Nemoide Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:42 pm

I've kind of lost interest in FF Special. A few years ago I tried to become "ULTIMATE HARDCORE" about fighting games and I would play through old games as every character, slowly working my way up in terms of difficulty.
But I don't have anyone to play with, so I burnt out. It's weird to be playing another old fighting game. I enjoy it but it just doesn't feel like something I want to sink a ton of time into.

I did make my first real attempt to beat Fatal Fury 3, which I did (as Terry... on "very easy"). I think that was a more enjoyable game. In that one, I think SNK really solidified what I've always thought made SNK fighters look as cool as they do.
Image
User avatar
noiseredux
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 38132
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:09 pm

Re: Together Retro: Fatal Fury Special

by noiseredux Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:22 pm

y'know what? I can't be nice about it anymore... FF Special fucking sucks. I really don't like it at all. I've tried a few times to give it a real shot, but I just get so furious after loading it up and not being able to win a single fight that I shut it off immediately. I've yet to even try fighting anyone other than Andy. I just can't seem to enjoy this one which is really pretty shocking to me considering how much I get into most SNK fighting games.
Image
User avatar
bryan_65
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 1151
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:04 pm
Location: Missouri

Re: Together Retro: Fatal Fury Special

by bryan_65 Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:28 pm

noiseredux wrote:y'know what? I can't be nice about it anymore... FF Special fucking sucks. I really don't like it at all. I've tried a few times to give it a real shot, but I just get so furious after loading it up and not being able to win a single fight that I shut it off immediately. I've yet to even try fighting anyone other than Andy. I just can't seem to enjoy this one which is really pretty shocking to me considering how much I get into most SNK fighting games.


I am leaning towards this way. I remember when I first played this I was half way decent, not anymore. :x
User avatar
ExedExes
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 7334
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:56 pm
Location: HI-POINT AREA

Re: Together Retro: Fatal Fury Special

by ExedExes Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:07 am

Pressing on, I have also completed FFS on the SNES! It's much easier due to abuse of a certain Jubei Yamada slide kick -- those end bosses didn't know what was coming!

Image

That will do it for me this month. Although the Sega CD port looks really good even with its loading times, and the Game Gear is probably one of the best looking portable fighters for the system, I just cannot bring myself to come back to it. I wanted to do at least 2 ports, and I did.
Image
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
User avatar
nightrnr
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 1739
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:56 pm

Re: Together Retro: Fatal Fury Special

by nightrnr Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:21 pm

Nemoide wrote:I've kind of lost interest in FF Special. A few years ago I tried to become "ULTIMATE HARDCORE" about fighting games and I would play through old games as every character, slowly working my way up in terms of difficulty.
But I don't have anyone to play with, so I burnt out. It's weird to be playing another old fighting game. I enjoy it but it just doesn't feel like something I want to sink a ton of time into.

bryan_65 wrote:
noiseredux wrote:y'know what? I can't be nice about it anymore... FF Special fucking sucks. I really don't like it at all. I've tried a few times to give it a real shot, but I just get so furious after loading it up and not being able to win a single fight that I shut it off immediately. I've yet to even try fighting anyone other than Andy. I just can't seem to enjoy this one which is really pretty shocking to me considering how much I get into most SNK fighting games.


I am leaning towards this way. I remember when I first played this I was half way decent, not anymore. :x

To all 3 of you's:
I'm a little disappointed to hear of the disillusioned feedback... but I guess I should have expected it. The early Fatal Fury games require a good deal of patience. I can barely tolerate the 1st game, but plan play through it co-op some day.

I always respected the Fatal Fury series for being the 1st (that I knew of anyways) to incorporate a Super move (desperation attacks) that you could use during battle. They really intensify the battles once you get the hang of them.

I wonder why FFS got so expensive on Sega CD. Granted, I've never seen it the wild in all my Sega CD hunting, but I considered Samurai Shodown a much more desireable fighter for the system and it's almost as uncommon (but much more affordable).

Anyways...
I must admit to not playing the game much in the last week.
The last time I played (on PS2), I did a color edit for Duck King. He now has a black jacket with purple highlights and purple hair. He looks pretty Bad-ass to me, but I didn't take a pic or anything :P .

Because of the color edit, selectable version soundtrack, and button customizations (including combination buttons) I declare the PS2 port as the definitive version of the Fatal Fury2/Fatal Fury Special games. I consider it 2GB (yikes :shock: ) well spent on my PS2 hard drive, as I often fire it up just for a few fights or to listen to the soundtrack variations. Plus, it has FF3 and Nemoide is right, it is a more enjoyable game.
...just another lost soul...
User avatar
sevin0seven
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 8939
Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 12:18 pm
Location: Bay Area, CA

Re: Together Retro: Fatal Fury Special

by sevin0seven Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:19 pm

...now playing the pirated Famicom version of Fatal Fury Special on my 64drive flash cart:

Image

it actually plays well on the N64 controller.
Visit my store: sevin0seven Marketplace
Bay Area Cali: Meet-up Thread
Custom Art Covers & Labels: Click here
Game Room: Click here
User avatar
ExedExes
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 7334
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:56 pm
Location: HI-POINT AREA

Re: Together Retro: Fatal Fury Special

by ExedExes Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:52 pm

sevin0seven wrote:...now playing the pirated Famicom version of Fatal Fury Special on my 64drive flash cart:
it actually plays well on the N64 controller.

There it is! The one I mentioned. It was... an interesting way to kill 5 minutes :lol:
Image
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
Return to Together Retro

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest