Join in on our classic gaming club!
RyaNtheSlayA
Next-Gen

Re: Together Retro: Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2

by RyaNtheSlayA Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:11 pm

ExedExes wrote:Coming from someone who likes arcade ports and shmups, I'm shocked by how well I'm doing, even with a *stiff* DC controller :lol:

For the record, even though I hate the DC controller it's not why I feel the controls aren't as good in the DC version.
I'm still not sure whether I'm a kid or a squid now.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:17 pm

RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
ExedExes wrote:Coming from someone who likes arcade ports and shmups, I'm shocked by how well I'm doing, even with a *stiff* DC controller :lol:

For the record, even though I hate the DC controller it's not why I feel the controls aren't as good in the DC version.

Yeah, whilst I'm not a fan of the DC controller either, it's definitely the game that's at fault for the dodgy controls :(
foxhound1022
Next-Gen

by foxhound1022 Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:59 pm

Man, IDK where you guys say the DC mode is wonky. I guess I'm just used to it. I think if I would play another port, it'd be Xbox.

@alienjesus - I'm not quite sure why you're having to hold the grind button to keep it going; that's odd.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:21 pm

foxhound1022 wrote:Man, IDK where you guys say the DC mode is wonky. I guess I'm just used to it. I think if I would play another port, it'd be Xbox.

@alienjesus - I'm not quite sure why you're having to hold the grind button to keep it going; that's odd.

It's not really during the grind, it's more the entire duration of the jump before the grind. Every time I just do a quick tap in the air like with the other games in the series, it doesn't work. Same for wallrides.
foxhound1022
Next-Gen

by foxhound1022 Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:31 pm

alienjesus wrote:
foxhound1022 wrote:Man, IDK where you guys say the DC mode is wonky. I guess I'm just used to it. I think if I would play another port, it'd be Xbox.

It's not really during the grind, it's more the entire duration of the jump before the grind. Every time I just do a quick tap in the air like with the other games in the series, it doesn't work. Same for wallrides.

Try pressing Y and hold right before you land; as soon as the next one connects, you're golden. At least, that's how I do it.

Also 100%ed the school level. Damn, I forgot how easy this was. I'm spending no more than 15 min. on a level.
TEKTORO
Next-Gen

by TEKTORO Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:21 pm

One time I cut my AssBallConnector doing a frontside flip for some kid who wanted me to show him the trick.It was in a rocky parking lot and the board just popped all up in there,and there was a little bit of blood.
If you can see the future while remembering the past, you may just have control of the present.
RyaNtheSlayA
Next-Gen

by RyaNtheSlayA Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:28 pm

TEKTORO wrote:One time I cut my AssBallConnector doing a frontside flip for some kid who wanted me to show him the trick.It was in a rocky parking lot and the board just popped all up in there,and there was a little bit of blood.

I'm still not sure whether I'm a kid or a squid now.
TEKTORO
Next-Gen

by TEKTORO Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:37 pm

RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
TEKTORO wrote:One time I cut my AssBallConnector doing a frontside flip for some kid who wanted me to show him the trick.It was in a rocky parking lot and the board just popped all up in there,and there was a little bit of blood.

Whadda ya mean,thats some XGames quality stuff. :lol:
If you can see the future while remembering the past, you may just have control of the present.
ExedExes
Next-Gen

by ExedExes Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:14 am

foxhound1022 wrote:Also 100%ed the school level. Damn, I forgot how easy this was. I'm spending no more than 15 min. on a level.

Once I get better stats and boards with better stats, I will be able to complete those higher score challenges. Of course, knowing the stages and what tricks are safe to pull off is useful too.

Was anybody else put off by those dang golf carts (first time you played it) on the school level? The first one RAN INTO ME I was all like WTF?

Then about 30 minutes later I jumped right into one and got a 1000 "Car Plant" bonus :lol:

COMING THROUGH DUUUUUUUUUUUUUDE
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
Menegrothx
Next-Gen

by Menegrothx Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:57 pm

I wonder how many people started skateboarding because of THPS games? My big brother tried to get me into skateboarding even since I could barely walk, but I didnt care about it at all untill I played THPS 2. If it wasnt for that, I wouldnt have discovered things like CKY and Jackass, all the different kinds of music and bands in THPS/THUG games, other extreme sports games and the whole lifestyle associated with skating. Come to think of it, that game had a very large impact on my life from 2000 to early 2005. Even though I quit skating a while back ago and I dont have any ties to the culture anymore, I still think about doing tricks that are impossible to do in real life when I walk around in a city. I often times see the modern architechture through the eyes of a skater as one big skate park and I think of all the different kinds of creative tricks and lines one could pull off in different ramps, rails, staircases etc.

I recall a similiar situation, I was trying to practice a 180 hardflip or something like that and I landed with the skateboard in between my legs in a "pogo" position and the board hit the ground before my feet did...
My WTB thread (Sega CD/Saturn games)
Also looking to buy: Ys III (TG-16 CD), Shadowrun (Genesis) Hori N64 mini pad and Slayer (3DO) in long box/just the long box
Return to Together Retro