Together Retro: Shining Force

Join in on our classic gaming club!
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Re: Together Retro: Shining Force

Post by Xeogred »

Jmustang1968 wrote:
Xeogred wrote:Chugging away here, I see what you guys mean about Max when he's promoted at a higher level... holy crap he's insane now.

I just got Alef and Torasu, wonder if I should promote them right away since you get them at 16? I'll probably ditch Lowe for Torasu, and maybe bring in Alef in place of Bleu since he sucks big time and I can't really get him to level up, lol.

Bleu is worth it, he is the closest to Orlandu for SF1

Well I'm just rushing to finish this and I don't see myself grinding at all from here on, so Bleu probably isn't worth it to me.
Ivo
Next-Gen

Post by Ivo »

I think Bleu was heavily nerfed in the GBA remake.

Alef and Torasu should get to 20 pretty quick anyway if you want to promote them at 20. Otherwise they don't really need the powerful staves for much so no need to promote.

I'm going through it and got every character this time, Hanzou and Musashi seem particularly overpowered.

Ivo.
Jmustang1968
Next-Gen

Post by Jmustang1968 »

Ivo wrote:I think Bleu was heavily nerfed in the GBA remake.

Alef and Torasu should get to 20 pretty quick anyway if you want to promote them at 20. Otherwise they don't really need the powerful staves for much so no need to promote.

I'm going through it and got every character this time, Hanzou and Musashi seem particularly overpowered.

Ivo.

His attack isnt as high, but he is playing the original... Right now Bleu is lvl 18 promoted (promoted at 18) has about 70 hp, and takes only 1 dmg physical attacks and is about average in damage.

Musashi routinely one shots everything. I recently had a critical with him that he did 68 dmg to a steel claw.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

Ivo.

It would have been nice to have Hanzou (and Lyle) throughout the game, as I quite dig their skill sets.

FYI, I put some Shining For e music into the latest podct :)
Ivo
Next-Gen

Post by Ivo »

dsheinem wrote:

Ivo.

It would have been nice to have Hanzou (and Lyle) throughout the game, as I quite dig their skill sets.

FYI, I put some Shining For e music into the latest podct :)

Lyle is not hard to get I think, I got him on my 1st playthrough without using a guide. Hanzou and Musashi are a bit ridiculous though (particularly on the remake). I found some of the clues mentioning addition to the ranks but couldn't get them (I looked them up).

I also missed recruiting Arthur and Kokichi on my 1st playthrough due to sheer carelessness. I talked to Arthur once and noticed the obvious "recruit me" hints, but didn't pick him up before leaving... And I talked to Kokichi but didn't explore everything so didn't trigger him.

But I even got Gong and Yogurt in my 1st playthrough.

Ivo.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

I got Musashi but admittedly cheated, lol.

I missed Kokochi and Jogurt myself. Everyone else I got myself though.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

I think I can make it! Beat the first two battles of chapter 8.

Damn I hate Chimeras / Torch Eyes.
Jmustang1968
Next-Gen

Post by Jmustang1968 »

I beat it. This is the 4th or 5th time, and probably the last. I am very tempted to play the CD version. Back in the day I never had a memory cart, so I could only beat 1 campaign or the other and not the extra 3rd one.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

Xeogred wrote:I think I can make it! Beat the first two battles of chapter 8.

Damn I hate Chimeras / Torch Eyes.

Yeah, I hated the fucking Chimera. Torch Eyes were at least weak. It seems the Chimera were elusive and dodged most hits, plus they were strong.

Good luck - you have one more day!

Jmustang1968 wrote:I beat it. This is the 4th or 5th time, and probably the last. I am very tempted to play the CD version. Back in the day I never had a memory cart, so I could only beat 1 campaign or the other and not the extra 3rd one.

Awesome, congrats! When you say "CD version" - it isn't the same game/story, is it? What do you mean?
SpaceBooger

Post by SpaceBooger »

dsheinem wrote:Awesome, congrats! When you say "CD version" - it isn't the same game/story, is it? What do you mean?

The Sega CD version is both of the Game Gear games (Shining Force Gaiden and Shining Force Gaiden II) and one extra scenario.
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.