Join in on our classic gaming club!
the7k
Next-Gen

Re: Together Retro: The King of Fighters '98

by the7k Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:33 pm

Flake wrote:It's because KoF '98 was essentially the anthology of all the ideas, characters, and bosses of the first four games. KoF '99 was reboot of everything, even a new story line.

It gets harder over the next two games. In general, I wasn't a fan of NESTS saga (KoF 99-2001). It was a little too Marvel vs Capcom for me.

He's talking about KOF'99 Dream Match, not KOF'99 Evolution.

KOF'99 Dream Match is just an 'enhanced' DC port of '98. KOF'99 Evolution is the one with K', Maxima and the rest of the newbies.
Flake

by Flake Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:38 pm

Whoops!

Great, SNK. Your stupid marketing ploy from over a decade ago is STILL causing problems.
The PSTV is amazing.
---------------
Nintendo ID: Mecha_Flake
PS Network: jace-flake
CD AGES
Next-Gen

by CD AGES Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:27 am

This is by far the best King Fighters in the series (followed by 95,97,00 and 02) the characters are really well balanced and most of the console ports (specially the dreamcast one) are really closed to the original game (excluding loss a frames and sprite sizes)

The DC port is really not a good port of the arcade game. I'd rather play the buggy sound version on Orochi collection US. And this game is anything but balanced. Goro dominates without question and ranks over the entire cast by a good margin. They fixed him in UM but then Krauser became an even higher tier character among the entire cast (BLITZ BALL! anyone). So much so that SNK further rebalanced the game once more by way of UM Final Edition, which seems it'll never get released outside of the JPN market :(
outlaw_moon
24-bit

by outlaw_moon Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:41 pm

Just popped in my MVS cart and played a good 45 mins :mrgreen: Hoping to put in some more time over the weekend.
It's time to kick a$$ and chew bubble gum...and I'm all out of gum.
Mendoza
128-bit

by Mendoza Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:39 pm

Is the ultimate match on xbox live arcade just the PS2 version?

I remember getting that and i think the ultimate match of 2002 and one of them wasn't even translated fully.

CD AGES wrote:
This is by far the best King Fighters in the series (followed by 95,97,00 and 02) the characters are really well balanced and most of the console ports (specially the dreamcast one) are really closed to the original game (excluding loss a frames and sprite sizes)

The DC port is really not a good port of the arcade game. I'd rather play the buggy sound version on Orochi collection US. And this game is anything but balanced. Goro dominates without question and ranks over the entire cast by a good margin. They fixed him in UM but then Krauser became an even higher tier character among the entire cast (BLITZ BALL! anyone). So much so that SNK further rebalanced the game once more by way of UM Final Edition, which seems it'll never get released outside of the JPN market :(
CD AGES
Next-Gen

by CD AGES Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:09 pm

I remember getting that and i think the ultimate match of 2002 and one of them wasn't even translated fully.

Yes, UM 98 on XBLA is the same game as the PS2 release.

You mean 2002 "Unlimited" Match? The XBLA release is (thankfully) based off of the coin op release which ran on the Y2 board. The game originally was conceived as an exclusive home release for the anniversary of the original 02 on MVS. The game was received so well that SNK quickly began an arcade version that went thru some extensive balance changes. SNK eventually released this version on PS2, now dubbed "Tougeki Ver." and as a result there are 2 releases on PS2 for this game in its native Japan. The release on XBLA remains a US exclusive to this day. Hope this helps.
Mendoza
128-bit

by Mendoza Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:43 pm

CD AGES wrote:

Yes, UM 98 on XBLA is the same game as the PS2 release.

You mean 2002 "Unlimited" Match? The XBLA release is (thankfully) based off of the coin op release which ran on the Y2 board. The game originally was conceived as an exclusive home release for the anniversary of the original 02 on MVS. The game was received so well that SNK quickly began an arcade version that went thru some extensive balance changes. SNK eventually released this version on PS2, now dubbed "Tougeki Ver." and as a result there are 2 releases on PS2 for this game in its native Japan. The release on XBLA remains a US exclusive to this day. Hope this helps.

so the PS2 version didn't translate the ending quotes either? Wow, thats lazier than normal SNK. Thankfully its still a great game.
CD AGES
Next-Gen

by CD AGES Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:24 pm

so the PS2 version didn't translate the ending quotes either? Wow, thats lazier than normal SNK. Thankfully its still a great game

I never said that. I truthfully don't know about translations made (or not) on the PS2 version. Whatever the case for the PS2 port, any responsability falls into the hands of it's US publisher Ignition Ent, not SNK.
artphotodude

by artphotodude Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:26 am

racketboy wrote:I'm pretty excited to have another fighting game on the way.
http://www.racketboy.com/together-retro ... rs-98.html

Even though I have Dream Match '99 on the Dreamcast, I just ordered Ultimate for the PS2.

Here's some question to get started:
What system are you playing on?
Who are your favorite characters to play with?
What skill level do you have with fighters in general and in KOF '98?

The Dreamcast version has saw-blade level aliasing. KoF '98 Ultimate Match for the PS2 is the BOMB!
Return to Together Retro