Join in on our classic gaming club!
Flake

Re: Together Retro: The King of Fighters '98

by Flake Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:37 am

racketboy wrote:
Well, I ended up getting the Ultimate Match for PS2...

Maybe if it grows on me, I'll get the Wii one too (at least it's affordable)

Is Ultimate Match for the PS2 similar to Dream Match for the DC? It's just added graphics to the original '98 game, correct?
The PSTV is amazing.
---------------
Nintendo ID: Mecha_Flake
PS Network: jace-flake
the7k
Next-Gen

by the7k Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:15 am

Flake wrote:
racketboy wrote:
Well, I ended up getting the Ultimate Match for PS2...

Maybe if it grows on me, I'll get the Wii one too (at least it's affordable)

Is Ultimate Match for the PS2 similar to Dream Match for the DC? It's just added graphics to the original '98 game, correct?

If by 'added graphics' you also mean 'added characters', such as Kasumi, Eiji, Geese, Mr. Big, Krauser, Geonitz, Orochi, Orochi Iori and Orochi Leona. Also had new alternate movesets for some characters like Blue Mary and Yamazaki, plus it had the added 'Ultimate' mode, which allowed you to make a game system that was a mix of EX and ADV modes.
Flake

by Flake Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:38 am

the7k wrote:If by 'added graphics' you also mean 'added characters', such as Kasumi, Eiji, Geese, Mr. Big, Krauser, Geonitz, Orochi, Orochi Iori and Orochi Leona. Also had new alternate movesets for some characters like Blue Mary and Yamazaki, plus it had the added 'Ultimate' mode, which allowed you to make a game system that was a mix of EX and ADV modes.

Wowsa.
The PSTV is amazing.
---------------
fvgazi
Next-Gen

by fvgazi Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:03 am

Between the two, I think I liking UM better than DM so far.
[ XBL: downedcity | PSN: biggry | Steam: Merchandise ]
Black Lodge Amplification: http://blacklodgeamps.tumblr.com/
Mendoza
128-bit

by Mendoza Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:44 am

Played this with my Tekken 5 stick today.

Going to have to change the button layout.

Works pretty well though, its actually easier for me to pull of King's trap shot.
mariolab

by mariolab Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:36 am

I'm playing kof 98 on mame, in the beginning i used the default difficulty setting (level 4 or arcade mode) but i could not beat the boss team. So i tried the others levels of difficulty and beat the two first ones easily but it taken 5 hour of play to beat the level 3 of difficulty. Rugal is so hard to beat, i was screaming in anger at my computer screen lol ! I'm sorry for my poor english. Love the idea of the topic being a group that play the same game in a month.
Flake

by Flake Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:20 pm

mariolab wrote:I'm playing kof 98 on mame, in the beginning i used the default difficulty setting (level 4 or arcade mode) but i could not beat the boss team. So i tried the others levels of difficulty and beat the two first ones easily but it taken 5 hour of play to beat the level 3 of difficulty. Rugal is so hard to beat, i was screaming in anger at my computer screen lol ! I'm sorry for my poor english. Love the idea of the topic being a group that play the same game in a month.

Your English is better than some of the native speakers I run into on the internet and definitely better than my second language.

Welcome to Racketboy and the Together Retro group!

The crazy thing is that this version of Rugal is actually easier than the original two iterations from KOF 94 and 95.

Question for everyone who finds this game is not too hard on default setting: Are you using Advanced or Extra mode?
The PSTV is amazing.
---------------
NebachadnezzaR
64-bit

by NebachadnezzaR Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:14 pm

I know I'm awfully late to this month's TG, but between my copy of UM for the PS2 taking a long time to arrive and having a ton of college stuff to do, I only got some time off today to give this game a spin.

I can say I liked it alot. I'm not an expert at fighting games by any means, so I tended to stay away from the KoF series due to its reputation, but despite that I still had a good time with this one. I know I just scraped the surface, I just don't have the time or interest to really get into it, but still, with a good team (Kyo, Terry and Mai) and some practice I got as far as beating the arcade mode in the easiest setting. Although the last boss was just impossible, the only way I could beat it was using the "1/3 life" handicap, the rest of the guys were tough but played fair. Since I'm a noob I can't really describe the gameplay in technical terms, but it "felt" right, you can't just button mash buttons but when you manage to pull off a cool combo or beat the opponent with just a fraction of your health remaining, it's incredibly rewarding.

Also, bonus points for the inclusion of the original KoF 98 in this version, and in the game, the option to have the characters' commentaries in Portuguese. Ok, it's Brazilian Portuguese, not European, but still a nice touch, wasn't expecting that.
mariolab

by mariolab Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:46 pm

In kof i usually use this team "random" in advanced mode, and i never uses the bonus roulette. In most fighters i play i always taken the random option. But since i played this game a lot over the years i tried to beat kof 98 with the hero team, a team i tried for almost each kof. With the random team i can't beat the level 4 of difficulty(but will tried today), with the hero team and after a lot of time(almost 2 month) i got to the level 6 wich i will sadly never beat.

My favorite character: mai
The character that i master: benimaru
MY NEMESIS: clark
The character that i am the lamest with: Chizuru Kagura
Character that i found lame(in design and is set of move): chris
mariolab

by mariolab Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:13 pm

Yeah!! i did it lol i finally beat the level 4 of difficulty with random. Can wait to know whats the next game.
Return to Together Retro