Join in on our classic gaming club!
marurun

Re: February Together Retro: Off the Rails

by marurun Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:53 pm

Omega Boost was a fine looking PS1 game. It was debuted at Tokyo Game Show Spring ‘99. I got to stand in line and play a few minutes of it with the rest of the plebs on the show floor. I think Soul Calibur overshadowed it a bit, sadly (and appropriately).
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:32 pm

Burning Force is based and woke as hell. Sega + Namco + waifus = hellz yeah.

I just rolled through another one. Sky Destroyer (1985), again for the Famicom.

Ever wanted to play an old-school high score chaser that was a rail shooter instead of a Space Invaders style fixed shooter? Well, this is your game. I found it kinda dull, honestly.
pierrot
Next-Gen

by pierrot Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:01 am

alienjesus wrote:I don't hate Zwei. I just think it's worse that it's predecessor and it's XBox sequel. I just found the game to be amazingly empty - too much dead air time for my tastes.

Like I said, why do you hate love, and all things wholesome and decent?
Ack

by Ack Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:50 pm

Never again, Rebel Assault. Never again.

Hello, Rebel Assault 2...
Tanooki
Next-Gen

by Tanooki Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:13 am

Never again eh, so it's still that memorable like it was back in the 90s. I don't think you'll find added improvement much or joy in the sequel, but maybe it'll surprise you.
Michi
Next-Gen

by Michi Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:25 pm

Finished off Pokemon Snap this weekend. I really didn't have much further to go once I opened up the Valley. My only other complaint about the game, other than it's very specific scoring system, is the crap hit-detection of the pester balls and apples. It makes taking specific pictures of certain Pokemon and breaking Mew's barrier a potential pain in the ass.

Other than that though, the game's still really fun and relaxing. I know I've still got a couple more Pokemon to find, but once you take a picture of Mew the credits roll, so the game officially considers itself done. I'll have to go back to it a little later to find the 'mon I missed.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:18 pm

^ Ya know, I've never been a fan of the mainline series games, but that one actually looks boss!
Michi
Next-Gen

by Michi Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:27 am

And it's also relatively short (I know you like that.)

Depending on how fast you are, finishing all the required tasks needed to progress should only take, oh, I'd say 6-8 hours. But at the same time you could also potentially spend days going through each level trying to figure out how to capture the best shots.
Nemoide
Next-Gen

by Nemoide Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:49 pm

My time for gaming has been kind of limited recently, but I started playing the original Sin & Punishment via Wii's Virtual Console today!
So far, it's pretty fun. The controls ARE awkward (I'm using a Gamecube controller) but not enough for me to feel seriously frustrated; we'll see how I'm feeling about them towards the end of the game...

I wasn't expecting English voice acting, but it's welcome because my Japanese skills are far too meager to keep up with the subtitles. This game seems to have taken the "hire native English speakers who aren't professional voice actors" approach which is a double-edged sword. So the dialog mostly comes across as pretty cheesy and awkward. OH WELL!

I should be able to make time this weekend to actually beat the game. Looking forward to it!
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:07 am

I’m also playing Sin & Punishment...

I don’t want to burst your bubble, but...

i don’t think it’s that great. :( The controls are just too awkward for the demanding gameplay, and some of the bosses are complete BS. (I’m looking at you heat bomb...) I’m almost through it, and I’ll probably beat it before the month is out. I don’t see myself returning to it much, though....and I so wanted to like it!
Return to Together Retro