noiseredux installed (my new site/blog thing)

Show your reviewing skills by collaborating with other forums members to review games of all ages.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Re: noiseredux installed (my new site/blog thing)

Post by noiseredux »

mjmjr25 wrote:yr a great writer man. Just read the half-life 2 one. You should put some instructions on the first page tho - "click a letter for game reviews" is all you need.

thank you, Mike. Appreciate that you took the time to check it out. I assume you clicked on H to see what I said about Hearthstone? I'll get to it at some point!

I'd suggest putting all your reviews into a published book - when you have enough that is, but they are all the appropriate length for the current gen of reader looking reviews.

Something I've considered is compiling them once I hit some certain arbitrary number of them completed - publishing them in a print-on-demand book. And then each year doing a revised edition that includes everything that's been added since.

SpoonyBard wrote:The new sites great and all - But where's Diz & Bird?

In my heart and in my ears, bud. I was listening to Dolphy's Out To Lunch over the weekend. Actually I meant to mention to you that I think the 2016 jazz album I've listened to the most this year has been Bill Frisell's When You Wish Upon A Star. Really good, relaxing stuff.

CRTGAMER wrote:Maybe remove the large letters and just list all the game titles alphabetized right on the first page? This will save blindly opening a subfolder with cropped pictures only to find reviews of games one might not have interest in. You could later on add a small "icon" of one of the screenshots for each game title text listed.

I like it the way I have it. It encourages exploration, I think. Maybe.

Though they'd all fit fine on the front page now, the more I expand the more I think it would feel too messy to have all the games listed on the front page. I don't know.

What does everyone else think?

(Also if you didn't notice, if you hover your mouse over each picture it will tell you which game it is.)

Reprise wrote:I like your write up on Mass Effect 2. It sounds like your experiences are exactly what mine were a few years back. I also really struggled to get into Mass Effect and I also tried Mass Effect 2, as it is nearly always named as the best in the series by fans, but I also stalled at about 4 hours in. I wasn't a fan of how RPG-lite it was, with the focus being more on shooting and action. I also didn't really care much for the story and Shepard.

I have to say though, that did change in the last year or two for me. I gave the first Mass Effect another chance and after a while, I found myself engrossed in the game and I couldn't put it down. I ended up playing through the whole trilogy and just completed them all last year.

So maybe Mass Effect isn't for you, but I'd recommend giving it another go at some point if you have the time. Start with the first one and play the trilogy how it was intended to be played.

Yeah, I don't feel like I hate the series. But it's just not clicking with me now. Who knows, maybe it will in a year or two. I'm sure if I keep going down this PC Gamer list I'll be forced to play ME3 or try the original again anyway haha.
mjmjr25

Post by mjmjr25 »

I had Em take a look at it - she thought the actual site looked like a WIP, wasn't sure if she stumbled one if she'd poke around. #feedback

I told her there were probably some limitations with it being a hosted site (weebly, not yours, etc) but wasn't sure. If you can put some text prompt on page 1, i'd recommend it. Once you start poking around - it does become pretty navigable.

I saw Big Stinko had a question about Time Barrons.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

mjmjr25 wrote:I had Em take a look at it - she thought the actual site looked like a WIP, wasn't sure if she stumbled one if she'd poke around. #feedback

I told her there were probably some limitations with it being a hosted site (weebly, not yours, etc) but wasn't sure. If you can put some text prompt on page 1, i'd recommend it. Once you start poking around - it does become pretty navigable.

I was trying to do it in some way that didn't really need such text. But my wife thought the letters were confusing too. Shrug. Seemed obvious to ME haha.

I may just put all of the games, in alphabetical order on the front page. Still as little pics of the front covers of the games though. And if you hover over those pics it'll pop up and tell you the name of each game. That *should* make more sense and not need any directions I'd think?

I saw Big Stinko had a question about Time Barrons.

lulz. I laughed at that last night. Unfortunately we haven't had time to delve into it yet.
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

I thought the letters on the front were obviously alphabetically related and I thought it was a nice touch.
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
SpoonyBard
128-bit

Post by SpoonyBard »

The letters would work better with more content (and obviously that will come with time). With only one or two items in each menu, it just makes for a lot more navigation than necessary. At the moment a list of each title would suffice, even if it isn't as interesting cosmetically.

[quote=noiseredux]In my heart and in my ears, bud. I was listening to Dolphy's Out To Lunch over the weekend. Actually I meant to mention to you that I think the 2016 jazz album I've listened to the most this year has been Bill Frisell's When You Wish Upon A Star. Really good, relaxing stuff. [/quote]

I'm going to have to check out that Frisell album then. Most of my purchases over the last year have been the Blue Note reissue LPs, (Out to Lunch among them) so I always welcome your great suggestions on new stuff!
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

SpoonyBard wrote:The letters would work better with more content (and obviously that will come with time). With only one or two items in each menu, it just makes for a lot more navigation than necessary. At the moment a list of each title would suffice, even if it isn't as interesting cosmetically.

point taken, and you seem to be in the majority.

I'm going to have to check out that Frisell album then. Most of my purchases over the last year have been the Blue Note reissue LPs, (Out to Lunch among them) so I always welcome your great suggestions on new stuff!

Ok then, here's a few more...

Heliocentrics - From The Deep
I love these guys. Spacey jazz funk that generally channels Sun Ra but filters it into something a bit more digestible.

GoGo Penguin - Man Made Object
This is on Blue Note actually. I think the drummer composed the whole album on his computer and then the band had to figure out how to play the songs from there. Something like that. It sort of meshes some electronics w/ jazz.

Lonnie Smith - Evolution
Also on Blue Note! Ha! Um... I mean you know him. This one really breathes. It's just light and airy and fun.

I'm also looking forward to the Miles Ahead soundtrack coming out Friday which is going to be a lot of edits of popular Davis tracks along w/ movie dialogue and a score by Robert Glasper as well as contributions from Herbie Hancock. And then in May is a new Glasper album proper which also happens to be a Davis tribute album chock full o guests.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

alright guys, I did some house-cleaning. Let me know what you think of the new front page. I like it.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Cool shit, noise. I dig.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

noiseredux wrote:alright guys, I did some house-cleaning. Let me know what you think of the new front page. I like it.

Looks great! Suggest including the game title in text above a below each cropped picture. I recognize Half Life, but not all the games. As you add many more games the pictures might be an issue of huge scrolling vs just an alphabetized hot link listing.

Maybe something like this? Both the tiny screenshot and game title links to the review. You could keep it alphabetized for a quick find and even checkrboard three or four across to reduce page scrolling. :idea:

HALF LIFE 2
Last edited by CRTGAMER on Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

hover your mouse over each picture and a caption will pop up to tell you what the title is.