Show your reviewing skills by collaborating with other forums members to review games of all ages.
Retronomy
32-bit

I have a few openings for my website.

by Retronomy Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:15 pm

Hello there, I currently have a few openings for my retro game review website http://retrofiends.com. In general we look at specific games, for better or for worse, versus awesome lists and history pieces like seen on Racketboy.com. Hopefully we are not in conflict of interest.

If this is in the wrong forum I sincerely apologize, I do however appear to be within the guidelines of this subforum's rules, so that said...

I still need:
Two More writers
An Editor
Social Media Manager

If you or someone you know is really into retro video games and think you/they would be interesting in writing or helping with my website, please let me/them know.
This gig is non paying, and at the moment not monitized and as such is volunteer work. This does not mean, however, that you can half-gluteus maximus duties. Do your best.
If and when we reach a point that monitization makes more than needed to keep RetroFiends online, I will compensate all active members of the team. RetroFiends currently does not make any profit, in fact it costs me to run.

Writer Duties:
Writing on a semi regular basis about oldschool video games with a rough time frame of a decade ago to the beginning of gaming, gathering screen shots. Approximately 4+ articles a month or once weekly+ with 300 or more words per article.

Editor Duties:
Set appropriate tags and categories.
Fix typos and grammar.
Some minimal formatting of articles if necessary.
Removal of several commas that I indiscriminately place all across my writing.

Social Media Manager Duties:
Linking to new articles as they come up on the website to various Social Network Outlets in a professional, non-spammish manner.
Engaging with community, answering questions that may come up and finding new ways to increase our network reach.

Since I do not know you all personally, I ask that you have a decent number of posts here on Racketboy and are generally known enough to be identifiable before applying/referring.
http://retrofiends.com My terrible retro video game reviews blog.
sosoyo180
24-bit

Re: I have a few openings for my website.

by sosoyo180 Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:30 pm

I am interested in one of the writing position but, do I need certain credentials? Or does just be well known on the forums? But regardless, It would be great to be a part of the website.
Last edited by sosoyo180 on Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SamuraiMegas
Next-Gen

by SamuraiMegas Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:54 pm

I might be interested for the writing position, but I could not find enough time to do school.
Hobie-wan wrote:Milk the banana for all it's worth.

My BST Thread
Violent By Design
Next-Gen

by Violent By Design Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:50 am

:oops: I should get an avatar so people actually recognize me.

I'd like to join up as a writer. Always had an interest in journalism, even majored in it for a short stint (wrote for a hip hop site and was going to start up an MMA site a while ago).

I'm assuming these are primarily reviews, which is cool too since I play a lot of old games.

Count me in if you'd have me.
Luke
Next-Gen

by Luke Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:36 am

Retronomy wrote:This gig is non paying

If you're good at something, you never do it for free -Joker

I'm half-kidding. Good luck with your search.
Retronomy
32-bit

by Retronomy Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:08 pm

Thanks for the interest to those that replied. Sorry it's taken so long to get back to you guys, it was like a week with no replies so I thought there would be no interest.

Anyone that is interested I will pm back with details immediately.
Luke wrote:
Retronomy wrote:This gig is non paying

If you're good at something, you never do it for free -Joker

I'm half-kidding. Good luck with your search.

Hey, if I can get enough traffic to the site to make affiliate marketing/cpc ads work without being obtrusive, then that may change in the future. Thanks for the luck!
Sakuramanny93

by Sakuramanny93 Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:01 am

I'm interested in thewriting position, I love retro gaming and I was top in my creative writing class in high school, so I'm ready for the challenge.
JsGameRoom
64-bit

by JsGameRoom Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:55 pm

Just wondering.. How many hours of work a week do you expect someone to do for free?
Retronomy
32-bit

by Retronomy Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:49 pm

JsGameRoom wrote:Just wondering.. How many hours of work a week do you expect someone to do for free?

This isn't meant to be work, this is meant to be a hobby. I, myself, do it for free (in fact it costs me 10$ a month in hosting costs.) That said, the time involved is largely dependent on how much you want to put into it.

One article a week is hardly tasking. How long does it take you to form a solid opinion on a video game you've played? I guess that'd be just about the amount of time required of the writers.

I put in roughly 20 hours of work a month into the website, a majority of which is offsite SEO and creating new sources of traffic. I'd say I put in about four of those 20 hours a month writing articles, which I enjoy, and that typically amounts to much more than the one article a week I ask others to do.

Anyway, I still need at least one more writer.
SNKnicotine
128-bit

by SNKnicotine Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:41 pm

I'd love to be a writer specially since, I also do reviews on Youtube. I have a plethera of Retro games and consoles (atari 2600 - present gen consoles) I could write reviews for. The only thing is I would not be able to crank 4 articles a week, well if you need help drop me a line.
Klassic PlastiK @ youtube.com/KlassicplastiK
Currently playing:Super Smash bros.(4)(3DS/WiiU)
Currently reading: Batman: Death of a Family
AppleQueso wrote:You can't even pronounce "RPG" or "FPS" like you can "Shmup"
Arpuhguh? Fffpiss? Bah!
"Shmup" is far more elegant!
Return to Game Reviews