US vs Japan - SNES vs Super Famicom Covers

Post game-related video clips here
Metal Jesus
128-bit

US vs Japan - SNES vs Super Famicom Covers

Post by Metal Jesus »

http://youtu.be/z00y2xIAVoo <--YouTube

Often the Japanese Super Famicom game covers are much different than the North American Super Nintendo covers. In this video I show and compare different covers. It’s East vs West!

Does anybody collect Super Famicom games here?
Ghegs
64-bit

Re: US vs Japan - SNES vs Super Famicom Covers

Post by Ghegs »

The Gunforce cover isn't based on anime or manga. The game was ported to the console from the arcades, and the JPN box art is simply adapted from the original arcade flyer for the game.
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

Post by Hobie-wan »

One of the best examples of buying the J cart over the US one for price reasons is Sonic Wings instead of Aero Fighters. There are also Saturn J and PS2 J ports of the game, but of course the Super Famicom port is the cheapest and easiest to play in the US.
Sano
Next-Gen

Post by Sano »

Awesome vid as always man. Didn't know there was such a dramatic difference in covers for SNES games. Noting the box sizes as well.
Ack

Post by Ack »

Heh, interesting that to me it feels split between which ones I like more. The Super Famicom versions of F-Zero, Star Fox, Super Metroid, and The Legend of Zelda appeal more, but I also enjoy the US ones for Super Castlevania IV, Contra III, and Chrono Trigger. Mother 2 I prefer because I enjoy its simplicity.

A couple of quick import suggestions:

Rockman X2 and X3(Mega Man X2 and X3) are good choices, as they're much cheaper and you'll not need to know Japanese to enjoy them. Rockman 7(Mega Man 7) is the same way.

Sonic Wings(Aero Fighters) for Super Famicom is 1/10 of the price for the NTSC-U release.

Final Fight Guy is considerably cheaper to import.

Unfortunately it appears people have started catching wind of the importers, as the NTSC-J price for Wild Guns is now about the same as NTSC-U price. While Hagane, Pocky & Rocky 2, Ninja Gaiden Trilogy, and Demon's Crest are still cheaper, their import prices are shooting up too.

Also, you need to pick up Gundam Wing: Endless Duel.
ninjainspandex
Next-Gen

Post by ninjainspandex »

Dracula X (XX in japan) SFC is about half the price of the Us version and is slightly better as it is uncensored and has red blood when you die.

Definitely get Megaman and Bass on the SFC prices range $30-$50 for the cart.

Sparkster is another considerably cheaper game on the SFC and has no language barrier