Discussion of scanning, archiving, and printing things such as magazines, manuals, video captures, and game covers
opa
64-bit

DIY Cover art - your own spin on games

by opa Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:42 pm

We've all got some free time these days it seems. One of the projects I wanted to tackle was making some game covers for my 3DS games. I picked up Resident Evil Revelations and RE Mercenaries last year but unfortunately they were in the generic gamestop cases. Rather than printing off scans of the originals I thought I would have a little fun making my own cover art.

re3ds.jpg
re3ds.jpg (205.35 KiB) Viewed 7157 times

Clearly I wasn't going for a serious tone with this. I was going to put more on the Mercenaries label but was tired of messing with it and just wanted to get it done. Plus with all the new RE games it was hard to source good images for the original concept art; all my search results were bringing up the new titles.

I ran out of color ink so I went with black and white. Not that it matters as the generic cases don't match the legit 3DS cases any way. Mainly I just wanted the spines to be correct so they look a little nicer from a distance (which they do); much improved over a piece of paper advertising a rewards card.

Hope y'all like the project. I figured some of you will get a kick out of it.
Ziggy587
Next-Gen

Re: DIY Cover art - your own spin on games

by Ziggy587 Sun Apr 19, 2020 2:01 pm

Nice! Making covers is always a blast.

One tip I have is to use "presentation paper" rather than plain old copy paper. It's not expensive stuff at all, and it'll make the covers look a lot better.

Another quick tip is to use legal size paper. Letter size is large enough to print out a DS or DVD cover, but not all printers can print that close to the edge of the page. So printing on legal size fixes that issue.

My Sale Thread - I am selling around three quarters of my video game collection as well as some other odds and ends!
opa
64-bit

by opa Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:11 pm

Thanks for the tips. Most of my printing jobs are just text so I generally don't have high quality paper on hand. If I did run across some empty Nintendo cases I would redo these (and actually spend more time on the images). My main concern was getting the spine art to line up (which is does) however it does look a little funky. Considering all you see on most game shelves is the spine I'm not too concerned with the front and back lining up perfectly at the moment.

I figure anything I make beats the GameStop "art". Lol
Ziggy587
Next-Gen

by Ziggy587 Sun Apr 19, 2020 4:52 pm

If you have Photoshop, you can grab templates from thecoverproject.net and they have guides for the spines.

My Sale Thread - I am selling around three quarters of my video game collection as well as some other odds and ends!
PresidentLeever
Next-Gen

by PresidentLeever Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:02 pm

Cool, the back of the mercenaries one gave me a chuckle.
http://minirevver.weebly.com/ - Mini-reviews, retro vgm tribute, rom hacks, chip music, mockups, misc. lists
stickem
Next-Gen

by stickem Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:30 pm

For my 3do disc only games I grab the front and back jewel case art on Google image searches and use a program that has all the templates. I just insert the 3do logo and game name for the spines. All you get is DVD art for the cover project for 3do.
Return to Archiving & Repro - Documentation and History