Custom Wiiware, PSN, & XBLA Box Art

Discussion of scanning, archiving, and printing things such as magazines, manuals, video captures, and game covers
tylerbgood
16-bit

Custom Wiiware, PSN, & XBLA Box Art

Post by tylerbgood »

Ages ago, I started keeping track of my video game collection using text files on my computer. Later I upgraded to an Excel spreadsheet, which eventually turned into a huge and complicated monster of a file. The last few years I've been using Delicious Library on my Mac*, and it's served very well as my video game database, while also looking very pretty inside and out. You can either choose a no-nosense list layout or a virtual bookshelf on which each of your games is represented by box art of your choosing.

For most games, this is a simple matter of using gamefaqs or mobygames to find the art and then copying it in. But for my Wiiware, PSN, and XBLA games I generally have to produce my own custom box art. So far I've kept it to myself, but I figure perhaps there were others in the community who organized their games in a similar fashion and may appreciate my efforts.

First up I'll post the art for the Wiiware games I own. These are only the games I've purchased and kept. I've bought quite a few that I didn't like and discarded rather than add to my collection. The original template is from The Cover Project, as is a handful of the artwork. Some games have had full retail releases on Wii or PC, in which case creating the artwork was simple. It was difficult to find art of any sort for other games, and that's where I've had to get somewhat creative. I'm not a professional graphic designer by any means, but I've tried to make each cover look as legitimate as possible. Thanks for looking and perhaps I'll post some other work I've done if anyone is interested in seeing more.

Click on any thumbnail to view the full-sized image.

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

UPDATE: User Lokkenjawnz requested my 3DO CD jewel case art, so I'll be uploading that next. Most 3DO games came in some sort of CD case, usually within a handsome longbox. Sometimes there was CD box art, sometimes there wasn't. I've adapted all of the art to CD dimensions for organizational purposes. The artwork is of a lesser quality for a number of reasons. For one 3DO art is hard to come by, and the art was only meant to be used for a tiny thumbnail anyway. (On a side note, I'm in the process of creating DVD cover art for my 3DO collection an example of which is at the end of the images below. There's more if anyone's interested.)

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _Image

UPDATE: Here is the custom box art I've made or modified for my PSP. I haven't found as many interesting games on PSN as I have on other systems. Mostly they are from the Minis collection with a couple of PSX ports and PSN exclusives.

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

UPDATE: Here is the final batch of box art I'll be posting, barring any requests for additional work. This is the PS3 PSN, Xbox XBLA, and X360 XBLA that I own and have produced artwork for. Some of these files only required minor modifications from what I found online; others were made from the ground up.

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

*There is a Windows equivalent to Delicious Library called MediaMan which works well as a video game database.
Last edited by tylerbgood on Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:50 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Dylan
Next-Gen

Re: Custom Wiiware, PSN, & XBLA Box Art

Post by Dylan »

That looks interesting, I might have to give it a shot (I'm currently using Excel).

Edit: Aww, it's not free.
GSZX1337
Next-Gen

Post by GSZX1337 »

Hmm, MediaMan/Delicious Library sounds interesting, but I don't think my collection is big enough to make use of them.

Check out these Easter Eggs:
    When a Star Wars item is added, Delicious Library says 'I am your father' in the whisper voice;
    When a Harry Potter item is added, Delicious Library says 'Voldemort' in the whisper voice;
    When A Brief History of Time is added, the library talks about science concepts in a mock-synthesized voice;
    When Rock Band is added, Delicious Library sings a portion of Run to the Hills by Iron Maiden in the whisper voice.
:D
casterofdreams wrote:On PC I want MOAR FPS!!!|
Pichu
128-bit

Post by Pichu »

Dylan wrote:That looks interesting, I might have to give it a shot (I'm currently using Excel).

:(
tylerbgood
16-bit

Post by tylerbgood »

Pichu wrote:
Dylan wrote:That looks interesting, I might have to give it a shot (I'm currently using Excel).

:(

Yeah, maybe I should have mentioned that. It's a $40 investment, but if you're serious about organizing your games, books, movies, and everything else than it's a worthwhile one-time purchase.
t0yrobo
Next-Gen

Post by t0yrobo »

For organizing all that stuff well it sounds pretty nice, especially the barcode lookup feature. That's the only way I'd ever put all my books in a list. I'm still a fan of a spreadsheet in google docs, I can always have a list of my games handy if I unexpectedly stumble on some games.
Lokkenjawnz
128-bit

Post by Lokkenjawnz »

Hey man this software is pretty great! I'm trying to get it set up, and I'm wondering if there's a way to edit cover art once it's on something. I pulled a cover for a 3DO game off RFGeneration, and it looks like it's either not able to work with a high-res image, or it simply doesn't have the right size/shape for a proper 3DO cover. I see 3DO in your library, have you figured out a workaround?
My Want List!

Consoles: Sega Master System, NES Toploader, Genesis/32X, Sega CDX, SNES, 3DO FZ-1, Sega Saturn, Nintendo 64, Sega Dreamcast, Sony PS2, Nintendo Gamecube, Xbox Halo Edition, Wii, PS3
Handhelds: Atari Lynx, Sega Nomad, Neo Geo Pocket Color, GBC (Atomic Purple, Pokemon Edition), GBA (Pink OG, Silver SP, Spongebob SP+), DS (Phat, iXL), 3DS, PSP (1000, Go)
D.D.D.
Next-Gen

Post by D.D.D. »

Yeah I saw that too. Excel is more than sufficient but if you got the 40 clams, why not?
 (FC, AVFC, NES, SFC x2, SNES, N64, GC x2, Wii x2)*(G&W x7, GB, GBpocket, GBASP, DS-L x2)
(GEN, SS x3, DC x3)*(PCE-Duo)*(Xbox:500GB)*(NGCDZ, NGPC)*(PS1, PStwo, PS3:160GB, PSP.3K)
tylerbgood
16-bit

Post by tylerbgood »

Lokkenjawnz wrote:I pulled a cover for a 3DO game off RFGeneration, and it looks like it's either not able to work with a high-res image, or it simply doesn't have the right size/shape for a proper 3DO cover.

When you fill in the "platform" field of a particular game, it changes the box shape to depict the proper shape for that system. Apparently the 3DO was so obscure that they didn't bother creating a unique box shape for it. As I'm sure you're aware, lots of 3DO games came in a CD jewel case within a larger box. I took and converted ALL my 3DO box art to CD case sizes. I'd be happy to post that work here as well if you're interested Lokkenjawnz.

Image Image

D.D.D. wrote:Yeah I saw that too. Excel is more than sufficient but if you got the 40 clams, why not?

Yeah, like I mentioned, I got by with Excel for years. But as I started adding more and more details to my games, it became increasingly difficult to navigate and maintain the database I had created. I considered professional database solutions like Access or FileMaker, but the cost of those programs far exceeded what I had to pay for Delicious Library.
Lokkenjawnz
128-bit

Post by Lokkenjawnz »

tylerbgood wrote:
Lokkenjawnz wrote:I pulled a cover for a 3DO game off RFGeneration, and it looks like it's either not able to work with a high-res image, or it simply doesn't have the right size/shape for a proper 3DO cover.

When you fill in the "platform" field of a particular game, it changes the box shape to depict the proper shape for that system. Apparently the 3DO was so obscure that they didn't bother creating a unique box shape for it. As I'm sure you're aware, lots of 3DO games came in a CD jewel case within a larger box. I took and converted ALL my 3DO box art to CD case sizes. I'd be happy to post that work here as well if you're interested Lokkenjawnz.

Yeah that'd be great if you could put that up, but I really wish there was a means of getting the 3DO longboxes up on it, I love how they look! I might try contacting the company that makes it, see if they can implement it, I can't imagine it'd be very difficult, probably a simple matter of putting in some new measurements.

Another thing I noticed, do you know if it's possible to put in Greatest Hits versions of PS3 games? They have a red case instead of the white/clear case that normal games have, and I can't figure out how to put that in. I tried manually adding another box template, but it didn't work. We need to get more gamers to talk to them to expand their selection!
My Want List!

Consoles: Sega Master System, NES Toploader, Genesis/32X, Sega CDX, SNES, 3DO FZ-1, Sega Saturn, Nintendo 64, Sega Dreamcast, Sony PS2, Nintendo Gamecube, Xbox Halo Edition, Wii, PS3
Handhelds: Atari Lynx, Sega Nomad, Neo Geo Pocket Color, GBC (Atomic Purple, Pokemon Edition), GBA (Pink OG, Silver SP, Spongebob SP+), DS (Phat, iXL), 3DS, PSP (1000, Go)