Discussion of scanning, archiving, and printing things such as magazines, manuals, video captures, and game covers
Kebo
24-bit

PC Gamer magazines?

by Kebo Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:28 pm

Does anyone know where I can find PC Gamer magazine archives on the internet, if there are any? I've looked around these forums and some of the sites and have been unable to find any. It's become pretty hard to search for when "PC" and "Gamer" are so often used together or close to each other.
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

Re: PC Gamer magazines?

by Hobie-wan Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:41 pm

Some PC Gamer stuff is released on Games Radar.

http://www.gamesradar.com/search?keywor ... er&x=0&y=0
Kebo
24-bit

by Kebo Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:57 pm

I was more looking for issues from 1995-1998 or so, which I can't seem to find there. Maybe I'll just have to end up buying them myself and archiving them.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

by fastbilly1 Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:15 pm

If you do Kebo, please keep us informed.
Kebo
24-bit

by Kebo Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:46 pm

I do have one issue right now, the third ever I think, which I could archive, but I'm wondering how I go about it. It seems like these PDFs seem better than how my scans would come out.
triverse
16-bit

by triverse Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:51 pm

Kebo, just give it a shot. You won't know till you try, at least. Some tips that I have learned (well, almost all of them were mentioned to me by better preservationists than me) include setting your scanning software to scan at 300 DPI and to save in maximum quality if using JPG for your image (some people mention using BMP or TIFF but just be prepared on the hardware side if using TIFF as each page is about 20 to 30 megs while a BMP will be about 8 to 12 depending on the content). Other than that, you are getting into the editing department which is a little more complicated.

That should get you started. Another option you have is asking about sending your mags to someone that is experienced to have them scan and such for you (just make sure to ask around and figure out shipping and such-especially if you want them back).

I have a bunch of PC Gamer magazines but at the moment, I am backlogged with other requests. If anyone would be interested in scanning some of them, I am sure we can work something out.
Tomorrow's biggest stars are at Scenic 7 PR today. http://www.scenic7pr.com
J T
Next-Gen

by J T Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:33 pm

Kebo wrote:It's become pretty hard to search for when "PC" and "Gamer" are so often used together or close to each other.

If you put quotation marks around a string of words, google will search for the entire phrase. Type "PC Gamer Magazine" with the quotation marks in Google and you will only get the hits with all three words together.
My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry
Kebo
24-bit

by Kebo Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:16 pm

J T wrote:
Kebo wrote:It's become pretty hard to search for when "PC" and "Gamer" are so often used together or close to each other.

If you put quotation marks around a string of words, google will search for the entire phrase. Type "PC Gamer Magazine" with the quotation marks in Google and you will only get the hits with all three words together.

Yea, I meant on these forums. I couldn't find any archives through google, and a lot of people just call the magazine "PC Gamer" but that term is usually used to refer to PC gamers.
CFFJR
Next-Gen

by CFFJR Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:54 am

Well damn it to hell, I used to have a large collection of issues from PC Gamer, right in the era you're looking for too. I subscribed for 5 or 6 years, so I never missed an issue.

Its a damn shame too, as I got rid of them all years ago. If I still had them I'd be happy to send them to you, but alas...

Sorry man, I hope you find what you're looking for.
Kebo
24-bit

by Kebo Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:21 pm

Well, I found one of the things I was looking for, not the other. I do wish I was able to scan properly. This is what it ends up looking like, see the right side? It's as if I can't get it flat on the scanner and so the pages kind of curl back and you miss the edge.

Return to Archiving & Repro - Documentation and History