Discussion of scanning, archiving, and printing things such as magazines, manuals, video captures, and game covers
diesel_dan
24-bit

Neo Geo AES scans?

by diesel_dan Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:44 pm

Hi guys!

Anyone know where I can find some nice, high-quality scans of AES clamshell cover art? Since I have a few empty clamshells floating around, this seems like a good opportunity to make a few loose carts look a little more "complete" on my shelf. (I love that they look like giant, hardbound books.)

Any recommendations on what type of paper to use?

Any help would great! Thanks!
christoph
Next-Gen

Re: Neo Geo AES scans?

by christoph Sat Sep 24, 2011 3:31 pm

diesel_dan
24-bit

by diesel_dan Sat Sep 24, 2011 4:23 pm

Awesome resource--bookmarked! Thanks for the help. 8)
Bradtemple87
Next-Gen

by Bradtemple87 Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:52 am

2nd neogeosoft
MY Sale/Trade Thread
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=27739
CZroe

by CZroe Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:52 pm

Old thread but it's where Google keeps landing me when I search for high-resolution AES scans so I figure it's best to continue the conversation here for the benefit of everyone else stumbling on it.

Anyway, I'm finding that the NeoGeoSoft.com's AES scans are typically much lower resolution than anyone would want for making a replacement insert even though that seems to be exactly what the people in this thread were suggesting it for. Did they lower the resolution to thwart bootleggers or something?

I'm planning on making my own DIY cases that only resemble the originals, similar to The Cover Project. Seriously: no one will get them confused. When I finish a few of mine I want to share the project for anyone else who wants to DIY but I'm having trouble finding even one suitable for printing at normal size.

Image editing is NOT my forte but I believe I can handle some resizing and cropping as long as I can get a full-size high-DPI scan of an original. Distorting the aspect to make something fit is an affront to my sensibilities so I wouldn't even dream of it. :)

I only have a few AES carts so I'd like to make English versions of the cases as a proof of concept. Anyone have hi-rez scans of Fatal Fury Special, Samurai Shodown, and Samurai Shodown II art/inserts? Of course, I can test my method with most any AES insert so I'd be happy with anything else too.

Yeah, my AES cart selection is pretty pathetic. I'm such a cheap mofo that I deliberately bought a broken AES to repair instead of plunking down for a working one when I visited Japan earlier this year. Only original insert I have is water-damaged, Japanese, and the case is melted so I'm not going to get very far with that, especially with how little I know in GIMP.
nightrnr
Next-Gen

by nightrnr Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:21 am

1st off, I'm not any help.
I may have run into some site or 2 that had AES/MVS scans, but don't remember what or how good they were.
I am curious though, as I will need to make a cover or 2 for MVS games to go in a shock box, and may benefit from whatever info ends up here.

I actually respect the choice to fix up a cheap broken system. If you can bring one to life again, you have made the world a better place as far as I'm concerned.
And those games, while cheap, are reason enough to have a Neo Geo, IMHO. Heck, the Samurai Shodown's are the main reason I'm a fan.

You are decidedly lacking a King of Fighters game though. You need at least one at some point.
...just another lost soul...
Return to Archiving & Repro - Documentation and History