How To Go Cheap on High-Quality HDTV

Discuss Your Gaming Environments and AV Setups
Prozium

Post by Prozium »

I don't wanna rain on your parade but the early model samsung slim-crts had some wicked geometry issues. It was kinda disappointing since the normal samsung CRT HDTVs were pretty solid. For all I know they may have fixed this issue since I haven't been keeping up with what's new in HDTVs because I bought my HD sony CRT back in january (seriously, this thing has 7 inputs which make it perfect for all my consoles). My only advice before you drop the money on an HDTV is to search avsforum.com for their user reviews. The videophiles there are great at pointing out the flaws in pretty much every TV on the market. Narrow down what you want (LCD, Plasma, CRT) then pick a price limit and find a few models. Then just run a search for the model number at avsforum and see if the pros outweigh the cons for the models you're looking at.

racketboy, about that $374 slimfit tv you saw at BB, it was likely the SD-model. It looks just like the HD slimfit TVs and even has a digital tuner but the only resolution it will output is 480i.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

Prozium wrote:I don't wanna rain on your parade but the early model samsung slim-crts had some wicked geometry issues. It was kinda disappointing since the normal samsung CRT HDTVs were pretty solid. For all I know they may have fixed this issue since I haven't been keeping up with what's new in HDTVs because I bought my HD sony CRT back in january (seriously, this thing has 7 inputs which make it perfect for all my consoles). My only advice before you drop the money on an HDTV is to search avsforum.com for their user reviews. The videophiles there are great at pointing out the flaws in pretty much every TV on the market. Narrow down what you want (LCD, Plasma, CRT) then pick a price limit and find a few models. Then just run a search for the model number at avsforum and see if the pros outweigh the cons for the models you're looking at.

racketboy, about that $374 slimfit tv you saw at BB, it was likely the SD-model. It looks just like the HD slimfit TVs and even has a digital tuner but the only resolution it will output is 480i.

Well this is what I know:
My TV look fine. I don't see any geometry issues.
And I'm pretty sure the TV at Best Buy was my model which is not the SD model. The SD model is usally a bit cheaper than that...
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

BTW, I looked on AVS forum briefly and it sounds like many of the geometry issues are on the widecreen model.
I have the 4:3, so maybe I'm less prone to it...?