How many of you are actually still using CRT TVs?

Discuss Your Gaming Environments and AV Setups
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Re: How many of you are actually still using CRT TVs?

Post by Jagosaurus »

Okay gents... 1 more sanity check before I drop cash lol... cross post gettin reddit below. I know this gets sticky in PS2 world but specifically interested in OGX here:

I'm looking at using a Goro Lite (see below link, sure this sub is familiar) to go from OG xbox component (640x480p) to a VGA CRT PC monitor. Do I need to ensure the monitor accepts sync on green? Or is this only needed for custom xbox VGA BIOS mod?

Essentially, is SOG necessary for my need when converting an OG xbox component signal vs "native" VGA (through custom BIOS).

COMPONENT TO VGA VIDEO TRANSCODER https://www.beharbros.com/cart-page

Seeing Goro list xbox & outputs in RGBHV (red, green, blue, horizontal sync, vertical sync). Assuming that's helpful 8) but please still chime in!

Edit: Per reddit, we look good with RGBHV output from Goro. Yall agree?

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

I just tried out my Garo for the first time on an original xbox, and 480p is working perfectly through it. Mysteriously, my main xbox with a progressive modded bios is not booting today, but a spare standard soft-modded one is looking beautiful on a VGA CRT.

If you do ever have a SOG signal, Extron RGB processors are often very cheap on ebay (I think I payed $50). They can convert sync signals any which way. There's a cool trick they can do with 480i signals that look blurry - ones that should normally be 240p but were scaled to interlaced mess on ps2 or xbox. You can flip a dip switch to make them appear as a sharp 240p image. This is explained near the bottom of Fudoh's Scanlines Demystified. This is only important on a CRT or a scaler that expects 240p, but it's very cool once I found out about it.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Awesome info Anapan. Thanks for testing.

Does any1 own a XRGB 2 or 2 Plus? I'm seriously considering buying one & being done.

Mayflash or Goro component to VGA + XRGB 2 (for composite, s vid, & RGB input)... all to a VGA CRT.

Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

I have an unwanted XRGB-3. B0 mode can do the same latency, maybe B1(?). It's better than an xrgb-2. IMO You won't find a XRGB-2, they're rare.
PM me if you want it soon (I'll mail it today!), otherwise it'll be available in another month when I get back from work. I'm not gonna give it to someone else unless you say you don't want it & I'll eat the shipping. RB member discount.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

I just ordered this bad boy. Priced well from an experienced CRT seller. I saw multiple great shipping reviews & they mentioned CRT packing in description.

Gateway VX765 17 inch PC VGA CRT Pic & Specs :D manufactured in 2007

@Anapan,
Dude, that's awesome. I just dropped some cash on above PC CRT + Logitech speakers + Mayflash component to VGA transcoder. I'd likely be in market over next month or 2. I want to test this CRT out first, but thinking I want it to be my go to retro set up... meaning I need a device for composite, s vid, & RGB inputs at 15khz with 31 khz VGA output. Looks like the earlier XRGBs fit that bill. I need to do some more research across devices & spread my spend out a bit. Let's DM on this. Check your inbox 8)

On the Mayflash, it was a budget decision. I read a reddit thread on CRTgaming sub saying the Goro was the same chipset as MF so performance was very similar, perhaps with more color issues on the Goro (possible purpling hue on some monitors). MF is VGA out only, no SCART, so it's reportedly similar to Goro Lite.

Allegedly the RetroTink COMP2SCART was "birthed" out of community issues with Garo. If using a VGA monitor, you'd have to use a SCART to VGA adapter with the COMP2SCART... & in turn worry about compatibility of GBHV vs RGBS with this device. I don't have a dog in this fight, but like that the XRGB 2, 2 Plus, & 3 have component/D term input with VGA output.

Oh man... what have I gotten into :lol:

Nemoide
Next-Gen

Post by Nemoide »

Profound sadness: my beloved Sony Trinitron seems to have suddenly died.

I was playing Alundra on my PS2 and everything was working normally and all of a sudden, the picture got messed up: the bottom half of the screen was on top half of the screen and the bottom of the screen was just a color. I turned off the system, fiddled with the AV cable and got sound but no picture. I fortunately had a backup cable and used that... same thing. I tried connecting my Sega Genesis... same thing.

I'm going to see if I can find a repair place tomorrow but I'm pretty sad to have this happen. I'd *like* to get it repaired, if possible, because then I could hopefully extend the life of the unit longer than getting a different old one. But I live in a fairly rural area and I'm not confident I'll be able to find any TV repair services that will work on CRTs...

I'm pretty bummed about this. Since I replaced my HD CRT as my "main" TV in January, I no longer have the ability to play retro games on anything else.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

Nemoide wrote:I'm going to see if I can find a repair place tomorrow but I'm pretty sad to have this happen. I'd *like* to get it repaired, if possible, because then I could hopefully extend the life of the unit longer than getting a different old one. But I live in a fairly rural area and I'm not confident I'll be able to find any TV repair services that will work on CRTs...

Look for an independently-owned electric appliance repair shop that belongs to an old man. Nobody in our generation would be trained to work on CRTs. Look for a man in his sixties or seventies who's been repairing electric appliances for decades.

Here's something that might give you hope: I used to live in a rural area in West Virginia. You'd think that I wouldn't have any hope of finding something as esoteric as a CRT repair man. There was a repair shop one town over from me called "Topps Electronic Services". The owner had been operating in that storefront since before I was born. He mostly repairs electric water heaters and dishwashers, but he can fix practically any electric device. Sure enough, he could fix CRT television sets too. From the outside, his store looked like it was closed. He kept odd hours. He didn't advertise. If I hadn't walked into his store, I never would have guessed he was still in business. I noticed a big old CRT on his front porch one day. I walked inside to ask if he was selling it. He told he that he couldn't sell it to me, because it belonged to a customer. The old man had just fixed it, and he was expecting the customer to come by and pick it up soon.

So keep your hope up, even if you can't find anyone your first day. Keep an eye open for shabby-looking old appliance shops. There's bound to be some old man who remembers when television sets came in wooden consoles.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Here's my new RGB compatible VGA PC CRT setup 8). Mentioned above, it's a 17" Gateway VX765. Overall, extremely happy so far. I dig the aesthetics a lot. Has a high end TV look to it. Picture quality is extremely vibrant & crisp.

Right now using a lagless Mayflash component to VGA transcoder to pass through 480p. A XRGB3 with VGA out in the works for composite, s video, & RGB SCART or JP21 input. I'll be using this mostly for my 240p 15hkz signals in line doubling mode, although it'll handle component via D term too.

I went a little unorthodox with PC VGA vs commerical RGB PVM/BVM or consumer TV. I feel this route often gets overlooked compared to other CRT options. Happy to be back in the CRT world. A little scared to be hopping into the RGB rabbit hole though :shock:

Thoughts? Pics:

Movies look amazing. The blacks...

Halo 2 looking great & I how I remember originally experiencing it

You know I had to try MAME

Any tint/hue differences are due to the cam & lighting. Was hard to get good pics. Looks amazing to the eye.

Specs recap

Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

@Nemoide
My condolences.

@Jag
Very cool, that's how folks used to do it back in the day. High def & crisp scanlines on 240p all in one. You can also get a cheap HDMI to RGB + 3.5mm audio transcoder to enjoy newer systems on the CRT if you adjust the vertical stretch all the way down. I prefer that to upscaled 720p on a 1080p screen as some games have small details that will only come out crystal clear on that or a true native 720p flatscreen. Just beware ones that crush the dark shades. I think I decided on a Tendac but can't verify as I'm out of town.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

@Nemoide
Pour one out for my homie.

I agree. Look for a shop. I know where one is in Houston. Super rando spot. I only know where it is bc I pass it parking & walking half a block to my favorite Tex Mex joint. They're around... just hidden with no websites. Might be worth asking reddit.

@Anapan
No joke. Crazy to get amazing 240p & 768p out of the same monitor.

Really hard to capture on cam, but tried again today & snapped these.