How many of you are actually still using CRT TVs?

Discuss Your Gaming Environments and AV Setups
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Re: How many of you are actually still using CRT TVs?

Post by Xeogred »

Good info to know.

Slightly related, how would guys go about storing an old HDTV without the box? Should a throw a curtain over it? Or maybe there's something I can wrap around it?
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

One thing I've noticed with the PVM is the sound is weak. I mean, it doesn't sound terrible, but it has even less bass than my 13" Trinitron consumer TV. I'm definitely gonna have to do something about that. I've already been thinking about a solution for the consumer TV, but I'm wondering what other PVM owners have come up with. Anyone?

Xeogred wrote:Slightly related, how would guys go about storing an old HDTV without the box? Should a throw a curtain over it? Or maybe there's something I can wrap around it?

Eww, get your LCD talk out of the CRT thread!

You could throw an old towel or sheet over it to protect it from dust. If you wanted more protection than that, you could wrap a moving blanket around it and tape or tie it on. That would help protect the screen if something knocks into it, as well as protect it from dust. If you needed even more protection, I suppose you could protect the screen with another layer before wrapping it with a moving blanket. Maybe Styrofoam.
Erik_Twice
Next-Gen

Post by Erik_Twice »

You absolutely need dedicated speakers. They aren't really designed to offer sound and only have a small mono speaker thrown in.
Looking for a cool game? Find it in my blog!
Latest post: Often, games must be difficult
http://eriktwice.com/
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Erik_Twice wrote:You absolutely need dedicated speakers. They aren't really designed to offer sound and only have a small mono speaker thrown in.

What do you use?
JoeAwesome
Next-Gen

Post by JoeAwesome »

So, I stand corrected. My LMD-1420 does NOT do 480p (boo), but it can do 480i AND 240p. The latter is pretty amazing, seeing as how the monitor is an LCD. It was an interesting evening as I tested multiple systems' inputs on it while sending the output from it to an HDTV for cross-referencing. Finally, I got a 240p test suite for the Wii to do what could've saved me several hours, lol.
Erik_Twice
Next-Gen

Post by Erik_Twice »

Ziggy587 wrote:What do you use?

Personally, I use a pair JVC speakers I bought for 1,5€ each at a second-hand store and power them with my dad's old amplifier. I paid about 20€ to fix it and it was very much worth it.

But you don't need to go that far, any set of speakers will do. Just don't plug the audio into the monitor, but in a cable that takes it to the speakers.
Looking for a cool game? Find it in my blog!
Latest post: Often, games must be difficult
http://eriktwice.com/
Konacha
32-bit

Post by Konacha »

So a while back I got a Panasonic 27" CRT. I got it when Goodwill was getting rid of their TVs, which I was surprised they still had CRTs to be honest. My parents old CRT they gave me from the mid 80s finally broke so I had to get a new one. I brought it because it was the best one in good shape and it was large which is what I wanted on my enclosed back porch which is my retro game room. Plus it was only 10 dollars.

However, I found out after I brought it that it has component cables too which honestly, I didn't even know existed until I saw this. I did read that it doesn't support 480p (and I tried it with my DVD/VCR combo) but it does 480i and 240p. Is there anything on the market where I can use component cables to make something like Amazon fire stick or Chromecast, which is only in HDMI to 480i? I'm worried that a box that convents from HDMI to Component would still try to do 480p and not 480i. Or would I have to relay on HDMI to S-Video device?
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

I always told my brother that any CRT can be modified to 15Khz RGB with only a bit of probing, tho it's best to look up the CPU/Jungle chip number and do it properly, Until I showed him this he didn't believe me that this was a quick-and-easy process:
All you gotta do is give the chips a wet-willy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmiBhLUkKEM
I do not condone this - it's unsafe (tho no IC chip could ever take a dangerous-to-human voltage or current).
Yeah, we identified a CRT's RGB lines in less than 8 minutes, and then found out that some of its caps were damaged and it couldn't sustain a picture.
We will wet-willy a new jungle chip tomorrow with the next donor CRT.

BTW, we found that a spit-on capacitive touch screen stylus also works, even held with a pair of pliers with a non-conductive handle.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Nintendork666
Next-Gen

Post by Nintendork666 »

I have a 32" Sony Wega Trinitron in my basement which I play original Xbox and watch DVD/VHS tapes on.

Honestly, might just get rid of the DVD/VHS tapes. They're pretty pointless.
AMD Ryzen™ 9 7900X // MSI GAMING X TRIO GeForce RTX 3090 Image
Arenegeth
24-bit

Post by Arenegeth »

I game on a 29" Sony Trinitron KV-29FS60 Series, which I bought with its stand for about $50 a few years ago, from a second hand store.

I say I 'game' on it but is mostly for my PS1 currently, though I tried my Saturn on it once, it had a problem with the Aspect Ratio probably because I got a US Model 2 and the SCART cable was for European Saturn's.

Though I have a few other CRT's they are either for back-up or don't work.

I still have my 1998 bought 100hz 29" Sony Trinitron KV-29C3D, but is broken beyond repair, I keep it because there may be some parts I can salvage.

I also got another Sony Trinitron, looks like a 20", I found it on the side of the road last year and rescued it, but it has that issue where the light at the front turns on but the screen doesn't turn on, probably fixable, but since it doesn't look better (potentially, looks like a cheaper, older model), or bigger than my KV-29FS60, I'm not in a rush to fix it.

I also got a crappy Samsung (24" I think) that's one of those that's bundled with a VHS (that doesn't work) that looks like is from the mid 90's, I consider it my last resort if everything else breaks.

And finally, a Toshiba 19" that seems to have the better picture from all of my working backups and is currently my second choice if my main unit gives up the ghost.

I'm always on the look-out for CRT's abandoned and alone at the side of the road while I'm walking my dog. I saw what must have been a 29" LG that looked pretty modern (as from the early 00's) sat upside-down next to some trashcans one night, but it was too far from home to carry on foot, and I didn't have any other means to carry it at the time, it might have been busted for all I know, but I'm still sad I couldn't pick it up.

Outside of Sony PVM/BVM's (which is impossible to find locally) I'm looking for a 32" Sony Wega, a 61" Rear Projection Sony one (I know they suck but I always wanted one god damn it) and a Projector from the late 90's that I specifically plan to use for Light Gun games, considering they work on it, I haven't looked it up yet.

All in all, I love CRT's for anything 240p and 480i native, and I plan to hoard as many of them as I can find!