How many of you are actually still using CRT TVs?

Discuss Your Gaming Environments and AV Setups
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Re: How many of you are actually still using CRT TVs?

Post by CRTGAMER »

darsparx wrote:Well i'm officially out when it comes to crt's. I wanted to keep that sanyo I was using until I moved out eventually but mom didn't want it just sitting around and since I got rid of the dresser I don't have anything in my room that could support that weight. Is there any decent crt that would be smaller than that 27" sanyo? I want to at least find one I could place on top of my kallax in my room...

Either a Sony PVM if you can stand the curved glass or get the Sony WEGA 20" CRT; KV-20FS100 is a flat Tube SD TV.

CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

darsparx wrote:Well i'm officially out when it comes to crt's. I wanted to keep that sanyo I was using until I moved out eventually but mom didn't want it just sitting around and since I got rid of the dresser I don't have anything in my room that could support that weight. Is there any decent crt that would be smaller than that 27" sanyo? I want to at least find one I could place on top of my kallax in my room...

Is Kallax Ikea furniture? The kind made of particle board? You'll want something lighter than a Trinitron for such flimsy furniture. I used an RCA Truflat 20" CRT for years, and I was very happy with the picture quality. The build quality is not so impressive as a Trinitron. For instance, the screen is plastic rather than glass, and I think there's less metal shielding on the inside. As a result the TV set is significantly lighter. I'm thinking it was fifty-five pounds rather than the ninety-nine pound Trinitron I picked up recently.
It looked like this:
http://www.amazon.com/RCA-20-TruFlat-CR ... B000TYHGD6

On the other hand, you could get a nice, heavy Trinitron if you get some sturdier furniture made of real wood.
darsparx
Next-Gen

Post by darsparx »

I'd love furniture made out of real but being a broke college kid the kallax, linnmon, and alex drawer combo I went for was way cheaper than a normal desk and looks way better. I just wish I would've stayed with the twin bed when I replaced the mattress(especially since I only sleep on one side of the bed anyways) so I could've kept my old dresser....
My gameroom
My systems: NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, original gba, gba sp(001), ds lite, 3ds, vita, psp, PSone(101 model) ps2, ps3(320gb model), ps4, retron 5, and Dreamcast.

bogusmeatfactory wrote:Ever feel like a wild gazelle in the wilderness?
KalessinDB
Next-Gen

Post by KalessinDB »

36" Wega... but for how much longer is the question.

The Framemeister is basically indistinguishable to my eyes from a CRT, they're both absurdly gorgeous. The only thing I'm missing out on with the Framemeister is light gun support. If I get a nice PVM/BVM for light gun support in a reasonable 20ish inch size, I might ditch the Wega. I know I've been chastised for it before on this board, but it's just a size thing. Getting a smaller CRT will give me more room for the games I have stacking up everywhere and possibly help me fit another cabinet into the basement.

But being that I'm not actively looking for a PVM/BVM right now... I'm probably not gonna trip over one any time soon.
Gunning for a licensed NES NTSC-U set, follow the madness and poverty here!
Cheat sheet of my collection, always looking to increase it. 405/677 licensed games, 46/"95" unlicensed
Chronically out of date BST thread
yaktaur
8-bit

Post by yaktaur »

I was using a CRTV until really recently when I finally got an HDTV and it has really killed my retogaming drive because the Genesis (and to a lesser extent the SNES) looks really bad on it :(

I wish I had a bigger place where I could have two tvs somewhere in it
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

yaktaur wrote:I was using a CRTV until really recently when I finally got an HDTV and it has really killed my retogaming drive because the Genesis (and to a lesser extent the SNES) looks really bad on it :(

I wish I had a bigger place where I could have two tvs somewhere in it

So many do not realize there is are HD CRTs that displays ALL the SD and HD resolutions beautifully. :idea:
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

Kidpanda
64-bit

Post by Kidpanda »

I just run all my games on a cab now. So much easier.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1457182834.756169.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1457182834.756169.jpg (249.87 KiB) Viewed 10376 times

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1457182819.538797.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1457182819.538797.jpg (347.76 KiB) Viewed 10376 times

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1457182798.552948.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1457182798.552948.jpg (325.61 KiB) Viewed 10376 times

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1457182781.450579.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1457182781.450579.jpg (320.89 KiB) Viewed 10376 times
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

I have a bunch of spare CRT TVs and computer monitors, but my main unit is a 27" Wega.

I recently passed up the opportunity to acquire a free 36" Wega from Craigslist, located not far from where I work. I've been thinking about trying to get something larger than 27" for some time now, and a free 36" Wega would seem like the score I've been waiting for, but I'm just not sure if I feel like dealing with the absurd weight and size of it. I was thinking about rearranging my man cave so that the couch is closer to the TV, effectively making the screen larger. The 27"ers are heavy enough, but I can lift them by myself if need be. A 36" would absolutely require someone to help anytime I would want to move it. I'm just not sure how practical it would be, as nice as it would be to have a larger screen.

I'm not really a hardcore CRT guy. I have a Framemeister that I use my 3 favorite retro consoles with, and I really don't mind how it looks compared to a CRT. The Framemeister can be a pain in the ass though. It takes some fiddling to get things to look as good as they can, and the sync time can make some games that switch resolutions unplayable. CRTs just work. I plug a console in a turn everything on, it looks as it should with no tweaking needed. No issues with games that switch resolutions, and light guns work. Of course, the trade off is that CRTs can get wacky geometry problems that are hard to fix (my Wega actually has a slight bowing in the top corner). They're also big and heavy. In this respect, HDTVs are far superior.

But that being said, I don't have much of a preference. I like the way most retro games look on LCDs without scanlines. In fact, the only time I use scanlines is when I need to hide the ugliness of some retro games (N64). The only time I use the CRT is if I feel like hanging out in the man cave or the game is unplayable on an HDTV or better for some reason on a CRT. If my living conditions ever change and I no longer have room for a CRT, and no money to put it in storage, I would only miss it for games that have compatibility issues with HDTVs (switching resolutions, light guns, what have you). In fact, if those issues didn't exist, I wouldn't even go out of my way to keep a CRT around. But as long as I have the room for it, I have no plans of ever getting rid of it and will enjoy using it.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

CRTGAMER wrote:If you need a remote, just check Thrift Stores or the Swap Meet. Many Sony remotes years apart will work just fine.

Remotes on left official standard.
ImageImage

Agree on the RCA audio output, that is how my Sony TVs are setup for the external stereo amp. Be sure to set the external audio out from Fixed to Variable in the Menu. My Remote controls volume and mute simultaneous to internal speakers and external stereo. This has an advantage of kicking on the stereo for movies or just the TV speakers for the morning news.

I check my local thrift stores regularly, and I found a Remote Commander RM-V310. The instruction manual contains a special section on controlling the volume of video components connected to an audio system. Neat! I just printed out the manual. I'm going to have fun with this.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

My Wega came without a remote. I grabbed the manual for the TV online, inside the manual I found the model number for the remote. I searched eBay for the remote using the model number and got one for super cheap.

I don't know if I just got lucky, or if this is something that'll work most of the time.