BluRay Player Advice Thread

Discuss Your Gaming Environments and AV Setups
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Re: BluRay Player Advice Thread

Post by RCBH928 »

isiolia wrote:As I mentioned before, the past couple years or so of Sony players use a laptop style AC adapter. Those start at about $50. You could then find a compatible AC adapter that works on 240V, if the one it comes with doesn't (IE like this), or just find one locally.

interesting I never thought of this. Do you know why this player is so cheap?
jp1
Next-Gen

Post by jp1 »

All I've ever bought is Sony bluray players....four generations in and no disappointments yet. The older models are built better, performance is good on the newer machines though. I think Sony has a little skin in the bluray game, so maybe they have a good reason to push value players that work well.
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

RCBH928 wrote:
isiolia wrote:As I mentioned before, the past couple years or so of Sony players use a laptop style AC adapter. Those start at about $50. You could then find a compatible AC adapter that works on 240V, if the one it comes with doesn't (IE like this), or just find one locally.

interesting I never thought of this. Do you know why this player is so cheap?

It's a refurb of last year's base model. The original MSRP was $89.99, same as it is on the BDP-S1500 that I assume replaces it. The newer models don't seem to be listed on replacement AC adapters yet, though I think they just use the same one anyway (port looks the same, same 12V input).
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Regarding the firmware, I had a Sony BR player from 2008-ish and it was having issues with a few movies of mine. Of the top of my head, Season 5 of Justified would not play. Others were taking a LONG time to boot up.

I hooked the player up to internet for the first time and it had 18 firmware updates :lol:. From there it has had no issues playing newer discs.

Not sure how any of those updates would impact mod, simply stating I did have compatibility issues with newer movies booting (not special features) before updating.

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
casterofdreams
Next-Gen

Post by casterofdreams »

That's interesting to hear. I guess this means that BD players work like game consoles in the sense that a compatibility patch, or firmware, update is needed to optimize some movies.

BAAAHH STICK TO VHS!

I jest.

I am wondering though, can the PS3 be ripped apart, software-wise (or mod chipped), to play any BD disc? It already has the support of region free games. I don't see why not.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

I heard you can mod a ps3 to play pirated games, so I don't see why this can't happen