A SEGA DC collection this good takes CD AGES

Discuss Your Gaming Environments and AV Setups
CD AGES
Next-Gen

A SEGA DC collection this good takes CD AGES

Post by CD AGES »

…Or more like, since 2001 when I first got my very first Dreamcast Brand New at a KB Toys for $99.
It’s probably no surprise to many here that I adore Sega’s great white hope. Dreamcast began to establish itself in the market during a very interesting point in my life which I’m sure plays a major role in my strong devotion towards it. It was at a point in time where I truly felt happy with myself and the road which lied ahead. It was at this point where everything was looking up. My GPA for my junior year was at an unimaginable 4.0 (I was never one for the books or good grades honestly), I was starting to feel comfortable in my own skin and my role as an outsider in school just made more sense to me as I matured. I began to befriend people which I am fortunate to still consider them as friends to this very day. I began learning the value of a hard earned dollar through my very first occupational opportunities and with that the possibility to purchase my very first game console with my own hard earned cash. Oh the Feeling!
There was something that felt so special about playing some of the hottest releases at the local arcade… those very same coin ops (without having to break open the bank) at the comfort of my own home … or with a group at a friend’s house who also had one and a few controllers to accommodate many. For a console with a commercial life of only a little over 2 years, it felt like it fired on all cylinders with one engaging title after another. Now that think about it, Being a gamer during that 6th generation of the industry was pretty amazing whether you were on Sega’s camp or not.
Sorry to bore everyone, back to the purpose of this post, My Dreamcast Collection.

The oldest DC I own and my go to console for fighters and NAOMI ports. Still works perfect to this very day. Good friend of mine did a VGA mod on it for fun. 2nd copy of MvC2 and D-Direct Capcom VMU shown.

Official Sega refurb model unit. Purchased complete with refurb package box as well.

Two JPN units. One of them I got for free at a previous job. After given that JPN DC, I got a bit more serious about importing software.

Two black Sega Sports Units. Had a third, but recently sold it to a friend.

Custom paint job DC I purchased off ebay while back. A few months later, major DC aficionado Adam Koralik, posted a near identical custom model on his pupular You Tube channel. Though he lacks the custom controller for it.

Complete Treamcast Unit which I won from THIS very forum. A Big thanks go the parties involved in making such an exciting and wonderful BST thread here on this awesome site and for all of their hard work in pulling it off in style. REAL thankful for the opportunity to add this piece of hardware to my collection.

Dreamcast with a 3rd party blue case shell. Got it through a trade from a friend for two Dreamcast models including a Rev0 unit (I still have plenty though). 2nd copy of KOF 00 in the driver, Pelican blue 4X MU and official JPN M2000 controller shown.

Another DC with 3rd party shell, but pink. Purchased a LONG time ago for cheap. KOF 02 in the driver, official pink VMU and JPN M2000 controller shown.

DC unit with official clear top shell. Also shown are official clear mini keyboard, mini mouse, Seaman clear VMU and Performance clear VGA box.

Brand new Dreamacast "the ultimate gaming system" that i found for $55 at a store back in 05. It appears to be a model 1 unit with a manufacture date of April 2001, made in Indonesia.

Sega Smashpack bundle unit. This one is technically incomplete as it's missing the outer box sleeve. As a result...

...I had too buy a fully complete bundle years later. Got this one brand new not too long ago. Did open it though.

Sega Sports bundle unit. Complete with all software and materials.

Launch DC unit CIB. I currently own 2 that are complete.

4 Standard US Dreamcast Units. All 4 shown were were purchased "AS-IS" defective units. All 4 have been repaired by yours truly.

The rarest piece of Dreamcast hardware that I own. Dreamcast Model SFL-2000P1 Control Unit. These were designed to run "Hundred Swords" at select Sega Centers in Japan. How many of these were manufactured is unknown and how many are left is an even bigger mystery as these weren't made for retail.

DC dust covers blue and orange swirl. Shout out to Daytona over at assembler for the orange one. 2 pre-owned recently salvaged DC consoles are inside each of these covers. They are safe now. <3

ACCESSORIES
The good ol' reliable Official Sega Dreamcast "Agetec" Arcade stick.

One of the more obscure accesories out there for the DC. The "DC Gamermate" stick is simply a re-branded JPN Virtua Stick with an internal Saturn to DC converter, so the stick can actually be used on both platforms.

Standard pre-owned white and Sega Sports black controllers. i have a ton of the former lying around the house.

Transparent US colored controllers and some VMUs. YES I own the official green VMU, but the performance one is very significant to me as it is the first Dreamcast item i ever purchased... even before my first console. $7 at a Wal-Mart. That was the beginning.

A slew of DC accessories. New MCZ controller, Performance Jump pak CIB, Official SEGA fishing rod, and two NYKO Hyper Pak 4X memory cards. Placed an official Jump Pak for comparison.

4 brand new controller extension cables. I have plenty pre-owned ones as well which are frequently used. Also shown is a pre-owned Ascii FT pad and a brand new Ascii FT pad SNK variant.

2 Mice, and 3 Keyboards all CIB. The one on top is the SegaNet variant which was given to subscribers for said service back in the day.

Various iterations of the wonderful VGA cable/box from the Official one to various 3rd party versions. I make ample use of these on the daily.

Pair of MCZ light guns with a copy HotD2. Officially licensed product and easily the best light gun released in the states for the system.

Found this badboy recently for a sweet deal and in amazing condition! The SRC BIO gun. Proceeded with caution on this purchase as the reputation for this gun is somewhat of a mixed bag. Mine luckily works amazingly well. Superb calibration, aiming, and has excellent weight to it as well as built in rumble. This gun has THE fastest Auto-Fire of any gun i've ever used on this or any system quite frankly. It's crazy! :shock:

Import House Of the Dead 2 bundle with Official DC Light Gun.

Official Sega "Dreamcast VS Link Cable"

Samba De Amigo Maracas. AMIGO!!!

Dreameye Camera CIB. Big thanks to Dreamcastgaga for such an amazing deal on it!

GAMES
Some factory sealed US dreamcast software.

Personal favorites shown here are V-Rally, Re-volt, Hydro, Suzuki Racing, Flag2Flag, NBA Showtime.

Favorites shown are VOOT, MVC 1 and 2, Dynamite Cop (IMO the greatest BeatEmUp ever made), Soul and SF3 Dbl Impact (here's hoping noise still has his copy).

Favorites shown here are Gunbird 2, Expendable, Berserk, Rayman 2, Bust a Move 4, and one of my newer purchases, Wetrix is a game I seriously love playing.

Personal Favorites shown are Confidential Mission, RE2 and 3, Illbleed, SOA, Mars Matrix.

A majority of what's shown here I play ALOT on my Dreamcast(s).

Some sports games.

Racers. A genre I feel the system does quite well. TXR2, Demolition, Surf Rocket and Daytona USA are just some of my favorites.

All 17 SAS releases. Placed in the most logical order: THPS (only 3rd party SAS outside of the Capcom/Midway ranks), PS2 and MVC (only Capcom titles to earn SAS status), Hydro, R2R and Blitz 2000 (From Midway camp), HotD2, Sega Bass, Sonic, Crazy Taxi and Tennis (Sega SAS non "Sega Sports" releases. NOTE: don't count Tennis seeing as its part of the small "Sega Sports Arcade" subseries!). And finally NBA2K1/2K, WSB2K1, NHL2K, NFL 2K/2K. Perhaps the only person here who loves SAS variants :oops:

The only two US microphone bundled games.

My PAL Dreamcast set. Don't look to expand my PAL collection any further. MVC and Rush 2049 were purchased quite recently and are Factory Sealed.

DC import. My SNK/KOF set. For a company that was in the brink of collapse, they sure showed their support for the system. KOF 02 FTW! :mrgreen:

DC import. Standard GGX release and 1 of 4 special edition "Type" variants. I seem to own "Type B" by the looks of the mini disc shown.

DC import. My humble DC shmups (DVD style shmups not shown). Is it just me or was anyone else here bummed out that Sturmwind didn't get packaged with a spine card? :(

DC import. A near complete set of Capcom's FMS/D-Direct released games. Only game I'm missing is Zero 3 Saikyo-Ryu Dojo FMS.

DVD box style DC games. Mostly homebrew. Did the best i could to get that SF3: TT box to look as good as possible. A really nifty compilation.

I Love RE: CV. Favorite in the entire franchise right next to 2. Such wonderful memories. Recently got Kanzenban as i refused to play X on any other console that wasn't Dreamcast. Beat it in one sitting. So good finally seeing that additional content and story to the game which I deprived myself of for SO long!

PROMO MATERIALS
ODCM issues 1 thru 6.

ODCM issues 7 thru 12.

Dreamcast feature issue of Retro Gamer Mag and EGM extensive Pre-launch Dreamcast Issue.

2 Issues of Unofficial DCM. I'm currently looking to complete the set. Unfortunately i have no idea how long the magazine went in publication for :?

Some of my strategy guides for the system.

More DC oddities. Looks like I own 2 copies of the EGM pre-puanch feature. Looks like my official checklist hasn't been updated in a while.

one of the few items of Dream Point Bank rewards program in Japan. A pair of VMU cases. Packing materials included.

SegaNet Store Advertisment.

Capcom launch lineup Store Advertisement. It decks out my wall these days 8)

While not completely Dreamcast related, I simply adore the systems connection with SEGA NAOMI tech. Two official promo pamphlets for SEGA NAOMI titles alongside their respective DC conversions. Sorry for the bad angle.

Skies of Arcadia Store Advertisement. Perhaps one of my most prized DC related possessions, My baby niece gets super excited trying to reach for this framed poster every time she sees it when carrying her around my game room.

SF3 3rd Strike store counter promo standee. Brings back fond memories seeing this at the local Funco Land shop. Still searching for the Power Stone 1 standee. Someday I hope.

FINDS OF 2018

An indie DC release via JoshProd, VGNY. Visco's Breakers. A fun fighting series. An... ok port.
An indie DC release via JoshProd, VGNY. Visco's Breakers. A fun fighting series. An... ok port.
IMG_20170827_140045 1.jpg (48.53 KiB) Viewed 20563 times

Cool Cool Toon. Still a DC exclusive. A very beautiful and stylized game from SNK no less.
Cool Cool Toon. Still a DC exclusive. A very beautiful and stylized game from SNK no less.
IMG_20180122_141104 3.jpg (25.77 KiB) Viewed 20563 times

Last Blade 2 import. First run release. Going for a full JPN SNK set on DC. This includes variants.
Last Blade 2 import. First run release. Going for a full JPN SNK set on DC. This includes variants.
20171221_205558 2.jpg (41.49 KiB) Viewed 20563 times

Added another official DC transparent case to my collection this year. i was pretty happy to have found it at a good price.
Added another official DC transparent case to my collection this year. i was pretty happy to have found it at a good price.
20180327_162058 3.jpg (26.94 KiB) Viewed 20563 times
Last edited by CD AGES on Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:15 pm, edited 15 times in total.
Aar1012
24-bit

Re: A SEGA DC collection this good take CD AGES

Post by Aar1012 »

Nice collection. The Dreamcast was why I got into collecting. I watched some people play Sonic Adventure and remembered how much I loved the game (It is my favorite game). They played it on the original hardware and I went searching for one. Afterwards, I picked up a Genesis and the collection just kept going.

CD AGES wrote:Launch DC unit CIB. I currently own 2 that are complete.

If I ever get to the point of repeats, I want a launch Dreamcast with box.. It was what my brother had. I remember the hunt we went on to find one and find games that worked (The Dreamcast launch had issues with some disks). Luckily, no one had hit KMART when the Dreamcast launched so he snagged Sonic Adventure
Systems Owned: NES, Sega Genesis (Non-TMSS), Game Boy, Game Gear, Super Nintendo, Sega Genesis (Model 2), PlayStation, N64, Sega Dreamcast, GBA SP, Xbox, Playstation 2, Gamecube, Xbox 360, Wii, Playstation 3, PSP, Nintendo 3DS
pierrot
Next-Gen

Post by pierrot »

Oh, ho, ho. Nice palindrome-ing. I certainly can't beat that hardware collection you have. Do you keep those boxed consoles in an airtight chamber, or something? They look ultra fresh.
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

Post by Hobie-wan »

Yay Dreamcast museum. Now get to work on all those limited Japanese ones. :mrgreen:
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

damn that's impressive buddy.
Sano
Next-Gen

Post by Sano »

Nice collection :) Do you collect any of Sega's other stuffs?
Hazerd
Next-Gen

Post by Hazerd »

Sega overload! :shock:
CD AGES
Next-Gen

Post by CD AGES »

Aar1012 wrote:Nice collection. The Dreamcast was why I got into collecting.

I want a launch Dreamcast with box.. It was what my brother had. I remember the hunt we went on to find one and find games that worked (The Dreamcast launch had issues with some disks).

Yep. Dreamcast was really the beginning of me attempting to collect for a particular system.

It's not the console that had issues with games. It was more along the lines of the software launch lineup being plagued by faulty media.
pierrot wrote:Do you keep those boxed consoles in an airtight chamber, or something? They look ultra fresh.

I try my best to keep the boxes as pristine as possible.
noiseredux wrote:damn that's impressive buddy.

Thanks man. btw, I'm looking forward to your next DC game review ;)
Sano wrote:Nice collection :) Do you collect any of Sega's other stuffs?

Thanks. Yes, my Sega Saturn collection. It isn't particularly huge but I'm very proud of what i have for it. My 32X collection ain't too shabby either ;)

Updated collection with a few of my accessories for the system. More updates coming soon!
flojocabron
Next-Gen

Re: A SEGA DC collection this good takes CD AGES

Post by flojocabron »

that pink Dreamcast looks awesome!

I also have that orange VGA box but it doesnt work. I posted about it a long time ago but I gave up on it. I'll find another one cheap.

You're missing the JP light gun too?

or you havent posted it yet?

you have nice things! :mrgreen:
2600 and jr,5200,nes/top loader, master system, intellivision, TG-16, genesis 1,2,3, SNES, snesJR, CDX, 3DOfz10, gamegear, gameboy and pocket, GBC, sega saturn, PSOne w/screen, Virtual Boy, N64, NGPC, Gameboy Advance sp, Dreamcast, Black Dreamcast, oXBOX, Playstation 2, PStwo, Gamecube, gameboy player, DS lite,DSi XL, PSP1000/3000,Wii,PS3 120gb,3DSXL, xbox 360, PSvita, PS4
CD AGES
Next-Gen

Re: A SEGA DC collection this good takes CD AGES

Post by CD AGES »

flojocabron wrote:that pink Dreamcast looks awesome!

I also have that orange VGA box but it doesnt work. I posted about it a long time ago but I gave up on it. I'll find another one cheap.

You're missing the JP light gun too?
or you havent posted it yet?

you have nice things! :mrgreen:

Yeah, I like that one very much as well cuz it's one of my older case mod units.

Sorry to hear about that. Which one did/do you have!? The NAKI model or the Gameware Madness model!?

Stay Tuned :lol: