Picked Up My First 4K UHD Blu Rays

Discuss Your Gaming Environments and AV Setups
Ziggy

Re: Picked Up My First 4K UHD Blu Rays

Post by Ziggy »

It gets slammed by everyone, but I was curious to see for myself. So I picked up a used copy for about $10. And yeah, it's pretty bad. I would say stick with the BD too.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Post by REPO Man »

NOW y'all tell me! :lol:

But seriously I bought the T2 4K Blu-ray months ago and haven't gotten around to watching it.

If anyone is interested Severin has a 4K of The Church (aka La Chiesa) but outside of the official Severin store it's not very common and most places only have the two-disc release. I bought the three-disc release from the Severin store along with Dr. Butcher MD (aka Zombie Holocaust).
opa
128-bit

Post by opa »

Thank you for the info, ziggy and prfsnl.
I'll look into both units and see what fits my needs.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Keep me posted! I'm not apart of any AV forums, so this is the most amount of home theater nerd talk I get to have! :lol:

If you want... I could probably just load some files onto a USB stick and play them on my Sony unit. I don't have any 4K videos at the moment, but I could at least see how intuitive it is with that feature.

I want to download Star Wars 4K77, 4K80 and 4K83 (they are 4K fan restorations of original theatrical film prints) and those I would definitely play via the USB port. I just haven't gotten around to it yet.
opa
128-bit

Post by opa »

Wow. Time flies. I feel like I posted in this topic yesterday.

If you get a chance to play some files off USB and report your findings I'd appreciate it! I haven't purchased any new equipment yet. Just too much going on to really watch anything lately.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

opa wrote:If you get a chance to play some files off USB and report your findings I'd appreciate it! I haven't purchased any new equipment yet. Just too much going on to really watch anything lately.

OK, I tried out a few things. I have a USB 2.0 stick that's 32GB. I formatted it to exFAT and dropped a single 720p video file on it. I plugged it into the front USB port on my Sony BD player. The menu system for this player is very minimal and sleek, which I prefer. There are only a few options to choose from at the main menu, with USB being one of them. So I plugged in the stick and selected USB. That brings you to a file navigation screen, which is basic but super intuitive to use. Using the arrow controls is very snappy (some devices have a delay from when you push the button and when the action happens on screen, but this is more instant). I selected my 720p video and hit enter, and it loaded and started playing instantly. The play controls work just as you would expect as if watching a BD. Fast forward, rewind, pause and play all work as they should. I hit stop, and return on the remote and that backed me out into the file navigation screen. Again, every thing was very speedy and instant or near instant. Some devices have slow processors that take a long time to load things, but this doesn't seem to be a problem.

Of course, I only tested a single 720p video. I don't have any 4K video files to test (yet, I want to download Star Wars 4K77) but I'd expect it to work just as well.

Another thing I just discovered is that I can cast to this BD player. I knew I could cast to my AVR, but just audio as far as I know. But I can cast audio or video to this BD player. So I tried that with the same 720p video file and it worked just as well as playing from the USB stick. My desktop and this BD player are both hardwired with a Gigabit ethernet connection to my router, FWIW. I'm actually really happy that I can cast to this BD player. That's more convenient than USB for me.
opa
128-bit

Post by opa »

Thank you for taking the time to test it out. I'm curious if it detects subtitle .srt files or the subtitles on mvk's. I'll have to do some research.