ROMs vs Purchased Games

Emu Talk Goes Here
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Re: ROMs vs Purchased Games

Post by Exhuminator »

Jagosaurus wrote:I don't care either way of course. I just find it interesting we all seem to classify this a little different.

If a game only ever existed as a digital download, it's fair enough to call the downloaded version a legit copy.

If a game was originally released in physical format, and you can still buy it (by tracking it down) physically, then that's the proper way to own it from a "retro collection" standpoint. Just having a copy of it (GOG or not) falls under "virtual retro library entry" status IMO.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

Post by dunpeal2064 »

I can understand exceptions to that, though. Mostly thinking of arcade games that technically exist "physically" in pcb form, but only have home ports in digital form.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

dunpeal2064 wrote:I can understand exceptions to that, though. Mostly thinking of arcade games that technically exist "physically" in pcb form, but only have home ports in digital form.

A real collector would buy the arcade cab.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

Post by dunpeal2064 »

What about instances where only like 3-5 pcbs exist? Technically you could buy it, I'm sure, if you offered enough money. Realistically, it is going to be next to impossible to purchase.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

dunpeal2064 wrote:What about instances where only like 3-5 pcbs exist?

Exceptions like this are unnecessarily pedantic. The core topic was about retro console games, not rare arcade games.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

Post by dunpeal2064 »

I wasn't trying to be pedantic, these instances are probably more common than you would think. Guwange on the 360 includes a pcb varient that is extremely rare, as it was only shown at a Cave festival.

Topic seemed pretty solved anyways, I just saw a point of actual conversation in your post, but I suppose we can forgo pedantry for more "yes and no" answers.
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

While I think it's pretty much a difference in semantics, I tend to associate the collecting aspect of gaming with actual physical copies.

dunpeal2064 wrote:What about instances where only like 3-5 pcbs exist? Technically you could buy it, I'm sure, if you offered enough money. Realistically, it is going to be next to impossible to purchase.

To me, that'd be what makes having one of them a rare, valuable item in a collection for those that can/do get their hands on one of them.

That said, I think actual replica copies would count as well.

Digital and things like CD-Rs with the title scrawled on them in Sharpie I'd just look at as part of my overall library.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

Yeah, I separate my "collection" from my playable library, as other folks have already expressed. I've got lots of stuff that I play that I don't actually own through legal means (hello, Panzer Dragoon Saga!), but I don't consider those burned copies or ROMs part of my collection.

GOG is one of those in-between cases, being part of my digital collection. But since they're modern re-releases in digital form, I don't see them as retro, even if the games themselves are often of the correct vintage.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

alienjesus wrote:I include any game I paid for or otherwise obtained through legitimate and legal methods are part of my collection, regardless of if it is physical or digital.

This.

Everything I have listed on RFGen I consider part of my "collection." My ROMs, not so much. Just my personal preference.
marurun

Post by marurun »

If I own a legit, licensed digital copy, I consider it part of my collection. It's the unlicensed or non-legitimate stuff (CD-Rs with Sharpie, anyone?) that I don't consider part of my collection, but simply as available in my playable library.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.