Simple, Easy-to-Use Frontend?

Emu Talk Goes Here
chuckster
32-bit

Simple, Easy-to-Use Frontend?

Post by chuckster »

So as I have began to emulate many systems, the need of a central frontend for them all is becoming very apparent. I've tried Retroarch, but it is both limited in it the supported emulators and in customizing the look. Hyperspin just stumped me all around, and means so much time and effort to set up properly that I am trying to avoid it if I can.

So is there an easy-to-use front-end that I can use with my chosen emus from NES up to PS2 and Wii that doesn't take a week to configure? If not, I understand, and I'll probably have to go back to Hyperspin.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Re: Simple, Easy-to-Use Frontend?

Post by dsheinem »

Mamewah
chuckster
32-bit

Post by chuckster »

Mamewah does seem more stripped-down than the likes of Hyperspin. I'll have to check it out. Configuring .ini files is daunting, but we'll see if it as easy as they make it out to be.

Any others?
nullPointer
128-bit

Post by nullPointer »

I've tried quite a few frontends at this point, and I will say that GameEx is by far the easiest to configure hands down. It doesn't rely on prescribed directory structures, and includes an excellent Setup Wizard which can be used for all further configuration. It also continues to be one of the most actively developed and supported frontends available (GameEx 14.02 released on 01/13/2015). If you're a Hyperspin user you may also be familiar with HyperLaunch which is supported within GameEx as well.

GameEx doesn't currently offer quite the same level of eye candy as Hyperspin, but GameEx Evolution will likely level the playing field quite a bit in that particular arena (including the ability to import Hyperspin themes). That said, Evolution does not have a solid release date yet.

In the interest of full disclosure, I should mention that I'm a forum admin over on the GameEx forums, but but I stand by our support network and community over there should you hit any snags.
KalessinDB
Next-Gen

Post by KalessinDB »

I had good results with MameWah back in the day. My current setup is Hyperspin, though to be fair I only use it for MAME. If you cough up the dough for the highest-end backer version (Platinum I think?), it has a helper app that will basically set it up for you almost entirely automated.

It was a little bit more than I wanted to pay, but I didn't think it was absurd given the level of coding that's gone into it.
Gunning for a licensed NES NTSC-U set, follow the madness and poverty here!
Cheat sheet of my collection, always looking to increase it. 405/677 licensed games, 46/"95" unlicensed
Chronically out of date BST thread
Nyukki
128-bit

Post by Nyukki »

Hyperspin is awesome, and isn't too difficult to get all the mainstream systems up and running. My set up includes basically all 8 to 128 bit consoles plus MAME.

Some of the non MAME arcade systems are a bit more tricky to get going. Plus, yeah, finding all the artwork you need and making sure your romsets use the correct naming convention can sometimes be a bit awkward. There's a user in the HS forums called Giga Pig who has a youtube channel with many excellent tutorial vids. You just need to turn up the volume as he talks really quietly.

Agree GameEx is very simple to setup, especially for MAME. Very functional and has a very "media center-y" feel. Never used MAMEwah but have read about it and seems to be the kind of old school, tried and tested, go-to frontend for many people who build MAME cabs over on the byoac forum.
Weekend shmupper