Official retail emulators

Emu Talk Goes Here
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Official retail emulators

Post by noiseredux »

So I have this Atari release:

I was having issues getting it to install or even run properly in Win7. However, once I started digging around the folders on the disc, I realized that all the arcade games were their own standalone exe's and could be ran by bypassing the main program menu altogether.

But even more interesting - there's a program simply called "2600.exe" and a folder of all the 2600 games as bin files. I found it interesting to see that on this disc Atari actually provided an official emulator and a folder of ROMs. I have no idea if this 2600.exe is built around a more common emulator like Stella that we all know of, but it's neat to me mainly because it was distributed by Atari.

Anyway, I'm curious what other compilations or releases out there are similar where you could actually use the official disc as an emulator to play even games not included with the release?

Off the top of my head I'm aware of the AmigaForever and C64Forever releases... oh, and I guess Bleem is pretty obvious.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Re: Official retail emulators

Post by samsonlonghair »

The Sega Genesis Collection for PS2 and PSP is a retail release with emulation by Steve Snake (who made Kega Fusion).
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

samsonlonghair wrote:The Sega Genesis Collection for PS2 and PSP is a retail release with emulation by Steve Snake (who made Kega Fusion).[/img]

but is there a way to use that emulator to play games not included?
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Yeah I have an Amiga compilation for the PC that's literally just WinUAE with a bunch of .adf disk images.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Yeah I have an Amiga compilation for the PC that's literally just WinUAE with a bunch of .adf disk images.

Is it AmigaForever (that I mentioned in the first post?) Or is it that weird import one?
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

Good point. A cursory search of Amazon indicates that there is a PC version called Sega Genesis Collection: Gold Edition.
http://www.amazon.com/Sega-Genesis-Coll ... B004GGO1JA
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

samsonlonghair wrote:Good point. A cursory search of Amazon indicates that there is a PC version called Sega Genesis Collection: Gold Edition.
http://www.amazon.com/Sega-Genesis-Coll ... B004GGO1JA

yeah I wonder if it's a similar file structure where you can actually see the emulator.exe and ROM folder, or if it's just a front-end launcher disc. If I didn't already own all those games on Steam, I'd be interesting in ordering that just to find out.
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

I've got that Atari 80 collection too. It natively does not work past XP, but I had some luck changing the Compatibility Mode to Win XP. Plus as you said, the arcade games themselves have their own .EXEs (but you can't change any in-game options without the launcher menu).

It also seems to be a well-documented issue online.
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

noiseredux wrote:
BoneSnapDeez wrote:Yeah I have an Amiga compilation for the PC that's literally just WinUAE with a bunch of .adf disk images.

Is it AmigaForever (that I mentioned in the first post?) Or is it that weird import one?

:lol:

http://www.amazon.com/Amiga-Classix-4-P ... ga+classix

The game selection is rather assy overall and it comes with an old version of WinUAE that doesn't seem compatible with newer operating systems. It does include the kickstart ROMs though.

I'm still toying with the idea of getting a real Amiga.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

I've been planning to get the newest Amiga Forever release. It's updated.