Emu Talk Goes Here
GSZX1337
Next-Gen

by GSZX1337 Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:26 pm

racketboy wrote:
Ivo wrote:
devilmyarse wrote:Do you mean a UMPC? (ultra mobile pc) They're very expensive right now as they're fairly new.

From pics I found of UMPCs, I wasn't thinking of that radical. Those are REALLY mobile.

I was thinking of Subnotebooks, which have been around certainly for a while. Wikipedia seems to have distinct articles (the laptop categories they have are, in order of small to big goes: UMPC, subnotebook or ultraportable, thin&light, mainstream and lastly the desktop replacements.

So basically the one bigger than the UMPC was what I meant.

Ivo.

Check into the Asus Eee PC.
I'm planning on getting one this summer for my birthday

I'm looking at it as well. The only thing that I don't like is the CPU (Celeron make me gag). Anyone know of a lappy like the Eee PC that has a better processor like a Pentium, Athlon, or Sempron?
racketboy
Site Admin

by racketboy Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:01 pm

GSZX1337 wrote:
racketboy wrote:
Ivo wrote:
devilmyarse wrote:Do you mean a UMPC? (ultra mobile pc) They're very expensive right now as they're fairly new.

From pics I found of UMPCs, I wasn't thinking of that radical. Those are REALLY mobile.

I was thinking of Subnotebooks, which have been around certainly for a while. Wikipedia seems to have distinct articles (the laptop categories they have are, in order of small to big goes: UMPC, subnotebook or ultraportable, thin&light, mainstream and lastly the desktop replacements.

Ivo.

I'm looking at it as well. The only thing that I don't like is the CPU (Celeron make me gag). Anyone know of a lappy like the Eee PC that has a better processor like a Pentium, Athlon, or Sempron?

You just can't think of the EeePC as a primary machine -- it's not meant to be.
I look at it as a more powerful and useful alternative to the iPhone or Nokia Internet tablets.
I just want something that I can surf on on the go without carrying around something big. But at the same time, I need a keyboard and more flexibility due to my writing habits and such.
GSZX1337
Next-Gen

by GSZX1337 Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:09 am

racketboy wrote:
GSZX1337 wrote:
racketboy wrote:
Ivo wrote:

Ivo.

You just can't think of the EeePC as a primary machine -- it's not meant to be.
I look at it as a more powerful and useful alternative to the iPhone or Nokia Internet tablets.
I just want something that I can surf on on the go without carrying around something big. But at the same time, I need a keyboard and more flexibility due to my writing habits and such.

I'm not expecting a C2D or a Phenom, just something a little better than a Celeron. I've used many PCs with a Celeron and they all sucked (although they were running windows).
Maybe a Pentium 3/4 or a Sempron.
Jubal
64-bit

by Jubal Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:12 am

GSZX1337 wrote:I'm looking at it as well. The only thing that I don't like is the CPU (Celeron make me gag). Anyone know of a lappy like the Eee PC that has a better processor like a Pentium, Athlon, or Sempron?

part of the probs with those other chips is there power draw and heat generation, with a 3 hour battery you need every extra min you can get
racketboy
Site Admin

by racketboy Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:18 am

I've heard the performance if pretty snappy with the custom Linux install it has.
For the stuff I want to use it for, I wouldn't want Windows on there.
Jubal
64-bit

by Jubal Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:07 am

racketboy wrote:I've heard the performance if pretty snappy with the custom Linux install it has.
For the stuff I want to use it for, I wouldn't want Windows on there.

is there better battery life with the linux distro, or ubuntu?

funny enough, the only thing keeping me on windows at this point is a little genealogy program I like that I can't get on linux. that and required energy to learn something new. I think a subnotebook is the perfect thing to get me use to linux. it will probably be just enough to push me over the edge and switch my home machine over.
GSZX1337
Next-Gen

by GSZX1337 Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:48 pm

Jubal wrote:
GSZX1337 wrote:I'm looking at it as well. The only thing that I don't like is the CPU (Celeron make me gag). Anyone know of a lappy like the Eee PC that has a better processor like a Pentium, Athlon, or Sempron?

part of the probs with those other chips is there power draw and heat generation, with a 3 hour battery you need every extra min you can get

I thought that the Semprons were more efficient than the P4 and Athlons. What about a Centrino? Don't the ThinkPads use Pentiums?
I just want anything other than a Celeron. I'll just look for something else.
Jubal
64-bit

by Jubal Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:06 pm

GSZX1337 wrote:
Jubal wrote:

I thought that the Semprons were more efficient than the P4 and Athlons. What about a Centrino? Don't the ThinkPads use Pentiums?

well its the 900 MHz Intel Celeron-M ULV 353, ULV stands for ulta low voltage, M stands for mobile. I don't think the new mobile celerons bear much resemblance to the old celeron chips
racketboy
Site Admin

by racketboy Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:19 pm

GSZX1337 wrote:
Jubal wrote:

You'll just have to pay more for it, that's all. You can't expect much in an ultraportable for $300-$400.
Return to Emulation