What Games Have Historically Been Hard To Emulate?

Emu Talk Goes Here
racketboy
Site Admin

What Games Have Historically Been Hard To Emulate?

Post by racketboy »

What games can you think of that have been hard to emulate for all but the most refined and fleshed out emulators.

Of the top of my head, I've had problems with Super Metroid.
Also, I know games that have built-in processors like Virtua Racing on the Genesis and Star Fox & Stunt Race FX on the SNES are a pain.
Mozgus
Next-Gen

Post by Mozgus »

I cant think of a single 16 bit game that I can emulate flawlessly. Whats wrong with super metroid? I've beaten it twice in ZSNES.

I know we still have a lot of trouble with Goldeneye 007 no matter what emu you use. Some can do it full speed with glitches, some do it accurately but slowly, some screw the sound up badly.
lordofduct
Next-Gen

Post by lordofduct »

I don't know a single game that really runs flawlessly. Damn freakin' close, but flawless? no... I say this merely for the fact I can't enjoy emulated game as much. I just notice little differences, may it be sound, graphics, speed, how tight the controls are (that one is the most common).

Any emulated sonic game, may it be in a collection set, or emulated on the PC. The controls just feel off from my Genny originals.
www.lordofduct.com - check out my blog

Space Puppy Studios - games for gamers by gamers
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

Mozgus wrote:I cant think of a single 16 bit game that I can emulate flawlessly. Whats wrong with super metroid? I've beaten it twice in ZSNES.

I know we still have a lot of trouble with Goldeneye 007 no matter what emu you use. Some can do it full speed with glitches, some do it accurately but slowly, some screw the sound up badly.

I'm sure its fine in ZSNES, but like I mentioned it doesn't run very well in less-developed emulators -- like those on other platforms (Dreamcast, GPX2, etc). On the very first level there's that steam/smoke that sprays out all over the place. The transparency or something doesn't turn out well at all, making it very annoying to play.
Mozgus
Next-Gen

Post by Mozgus »

lordofduct wrote:I don't know a single game that really runs flawlessly. Damn freakin' close, but flawless? no... I say this merely for the fact I can't enjoy emulated game as much. I just notice little differences, may it be sound, graphics, speed, how tight the controls are (that one is the most common).

Any emulated sonic game, may it be in a collection set, or emulated on the PC. The controls just feel off from my Genny originals.

I dunno man. I don't notice any differences in Sonic games on Fusion. But on those collection discs? Yeah they didnt sound right to me. But on Fusion, if there are any differences, they are positive differences which I intentionally set.
manasol
16-bit

Post by manasol »

When you try to play 989 Studios' Bust A Groove (Bust A Move in JP) on emulators it is just not right. It's a dancing game with awesome music and it just doesn't play completely in sync. Especially in this game where the music is a large amount of the game factor you really pick up on the flaws if any on emulation. Hell, I can't even burn a copy of the game to work right but that's probably because of my crap goldfinger type modchip.

I use the music to play as perfect as I can and with it out of sync it throws me off.
Perseid
32-bit

Post by Perseid »

Vib Ribbon for the PS1. Last I checked it crashed every emulator out there.

Conker's Bad Fur Day. N64 emulation is still flaky but this game is flakier than most. It has inconsistent frame rate even though my computer is fast enough and it doesn't spike my CPU, so it must be the emulator.

Ditto on Bust A Groove. You might like Audition. It's a Korean online multiplayer game that is a pretty blatant rip-off of Bust A Groove with K-Pop. Free, too.
Ivo
Next-Gen

Just because I'm into GBA at the moment

Post by Ivo »

I'll refer all the special cartridge games I know about - you just can't properly emulate those, I think.

Here goes:
Solar sensor games (Boktai series): Boktai; Boktai 2

"Compass"/gyro games: Wario Ware Twisted; Yoshi's Topsy Turvy (or whatever it is called in other region?)

If you're going to make an article about it, it might be good to include these.
Ivo.
extrarice
64-bit

Post by extrarice »

Some of the music and sound effects in Contra 3 are still tough to get just right. MegaMan X2 and X3 were tough for a while, but eventually the emulation scene got the C-2 (I think it's called) add-on chip emulated properly.
neohx_7
64-bit

Post by neohx_7 »

There are many inconsistencies in emulated games that most of us probably don't notice. Look at the BSNES and MAME projects to see developers who want pixel perfect emulation. Heck, in a recent update to .114 the MAME team finally got the sounds accurately emulated for SPACE INVADERS.