Which SNES emulator should I cover (and why)

Emu Talk Goes Here
Ivo
Next-Gen

Which SNES emulator should I cover (and why)

Post by Ivo »

I'm thinking either snes9x or ZSNES for the next emulation guide. Is there something I should know about? Which one do you think is better overall?

Also, I hear there's bsnes now, aiming to be cycle perfect - anyone tried it yet?

Ivo.
Mozgus
Next-Gen

Post by Mozgus »

ZSNES. I never found a game it cant emulate perfectly. It's filters are superior. SNES9X still crashes on me.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

I've been pretty happy with ZSNES.

But I was playing Super Mario World last night and noticed some slowdown when firing a lot of fireballs and a crowd of enemies and sometimes with the invincibility.
This is running a a 2GHz Pentium 4. Does that sound normal?
Mozgus
Next-Gen

Post by Mozgus »

racketboy wrote:I've been pretty happy with ZSNES.

But I was playing Super Mario World last night and noticed some slowdown when firing a lot of fireballs and a crowd of enemies and sometimes with the invincibility.

Not at all.
Lan-Di
24-bit

Post by Lan-Di »

I use snes9x... it works great for all general purposes! :D
I heard that, there was a second mirror!
metaleggman
128-bit

Post by metaleggman »

It's a tie between the two for me. Honestly, I hate that weird GUI thing ZSNES has. If I merely need a quick emulation, I'll use SNES9x because I'd rather not have to deal with ZSNES. Then again, I don't emulate SNES often, so I dono. Considering ZSNES has more features, I'd do a guide for that, considering it seems to have all sorts of extras.
neohx_7
64-bit

Post by neohx_7 »

Snes9x is more widely used across platforms, but it sounds like you are just assuming Windows XP...
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

They are the two best, so are both an option?

I am a huge snes9x fan, Ive used it since version 1, but Zsnes has universal appeal.
Ivo
Next-Gen

Post by Ivo »

neohx_7 wrote:Snes9x is more widely used across platforms, but it sounds like you are just assuming Windows XP...

My own guides are pretty much limited to this, as I don't have many other systems to emulate on; I think Racketboy is going to cover a bit of GP2X one of these days.

I could do stuff on DC emulation, but personally I think that in terms of non-portable emulation, that doesn't make much sense when emulating stuff in a PC is typically easier and better than anything else (modded XBox might be comparable, but I wouldn't know).

But the handheld front should be covered, and from the little I know the GP2X is the best option for those purposes.

Ivo.
GSZX1337
Next-Gen

Post by GSZX1337 »

racketboy wrote:I've been pretty happy with ZSNES.

Possibly because the actual game slows down when having many enemies on screen?