Should I get an original PS3 model?

Gaming on the Playstation and Xbox Platforms
KayJay
24-bit

Re: Should I get an original PS3 model?

Post by KayJay »

Thanks so much for the info guys! I really appreciate the detailed posts, everyone!

Thing is, I already have a PS2 Slim hooked up to an HDTV running through component. My fixation on the BC PS3 is a bit of an odd one, honestly, because I really have no need for it, but I've always been curious to see how the PS3 handled PS2 games. After doing some research and reading the posts on this thread though, I have decided It would be best to just get a slim or super slim model, especially because I already have a PS2, and the failure rate of the original PS3 models is a bit higher then I'm comfortable with. If I see an old PS3 model in the wild for cheap I may pick it up sometime, however.

I knew PS3's could play PSX games, but I always just stuck to my PS2 because It's what I had first. I'll have to see how the PS3 handles them when I get one. :)

Thanks so much for the help guys!

On another note: In my research on the old PS3 model, I actually found an article which contains an interview from Racketboy himself! check it out:

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2009/09/ ... o-popular/

and also, here is Sony's list of which models are backwards compatible, for anyone who wants a reference.

https://support.playstation.com/s/artic ... uage=en_US
Currently Playing: Hatsune Miku Project Diva F 2nd (PS3)
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

Ha I totally forgot about that interview! That was probably just a bit before I bought mine 8)

Also for future reference, here’s the thread I started a while back about choosing between PS2 models.
The fat ones were recommended for those that may want to have a drive full of game disc images
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=51779
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

Also somewhat related: I noticed on Youtube that the PS3 had been hacked (I don't stay on top of this stuff too much I guess)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siOXFGZj_z0

Cool to hear the community has been making good progress on stuff!
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

racketboy wrote:Also somewhat related: I noticed on Youtube that the PS3 had been hacked (I don't stay on top of this stuff too much I guess)

That's actually an understatement. Sony had to take down PSN for a while because of hackers. Everyone's account info was stolen. We had a thread here while it was all unfolding.

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=29969
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

Ziggy587 wrote:
racketboy wrote:Also somewhat related: I noticed on Youtube that the PS3 had been hacked (I don't stay on top of this stuff too much I guess)

That's actually an understatement. Sony had to take down PSN for a while because of hackers. Everyone's account info was stolen. We had a thread here while it was all unfolding.

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=29969

Oh I know about THAT hack.. I meant software exploit to boot homebrew etc
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Oh, yeah, it's one and the same. At the same time PSN was taken down, it was revealed how broken the PS3 security was.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

Ziggy587 wrote:Oh, yeah, it's one and the same. At the same time PSN was taken down, it was revealed how broken the PS3 security was.

Oh really? -- I didn't realize the hack was the same as the "Other OS" thing.... I just equated it with another one of those corporate database hacks...
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

I thought the vulnerabilities in the console was what lead to the PSN attack. Maybe I'm wrong.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

I thought the total vulnerability was the linux open door they had for installing that OS which is why it was removed. There was the secondary issue on the PSN side of things where they had gaping holes to abuse accounts on that end too. Unless I'm remembering wrong it was a two front attack that really made them look stupid, neglectful and careless.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Nope, the system has vulnerabilities outside of the Other OS thing. I don't know the technical details, but I remember reading about it back when this news was unfolding. I think someone posted about it in that thread I linked. Basically, there's a flaw that apparently cannot be patched. That's why the PS3 still hackable even after the removal of Other OS. The PSN attack was supposedly in retaliation for the removal of Other OS. Either that or they just wanted to steal CC info to sell on the black market.