Non-Mainstream Gamer's Recommendations for Xbox 360

Gaming on the Playstation and Xbox Platforms
racketboy
Site Admin

Non-Mainstream Gamer's Recommendations for Xbox 360

Post by racketboy »

Share your Non-Mainstream Xbox 360 Favorites (Physical Releases only)!

Over the next year or two, I'm hoping to start hunting for some quality titles for both my PS3 and XB360 collection -- especially as the games start going down in value (kinda like the Wii, Xbox, and PS2 are right now).

I'm not looking for "Hidden Gem" recommendations necessarily. I just don't really want a bunch of mainstream/popular game recommendations unless they are something that will appeal to the typical habits of myself and much of the primary demographic here.

- Obviously, if there are retro influences, that is a major plus
- Games that have more of an artistic appeal
- Titles that feature more unique or innovative gameplay mechanisms
- Exceptions of popular games are interesting, must-play games

After I process a lot of your recommendations, I will plan on sharing the results with a buying guide later one :)
I'd like to focus on physical disc releases here so there's an element of value shopping and knowing they will always be around.

I will have a separate thread for the PS3 recommendations
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Re: Non-Mainstream Gamer's Recommendations for Xbox 360

Post by noiseredux »

does Deadly Premonition count anymore? I feel like it has such a cult following. But it's amazing.

Catherine is easily one of my favorite games of that generation.

Lollipop Chainsaw also comes to mind.

Oh, and Deathsmiles of course.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

I actually don't know much about Deadly Premonition, but I'm also not super in-touch with the generation.
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

One of the things with the 360 is that MS negotiated a lot more exclusives early in the console's life. Otherwise, it's often the better version of multiplatform games when it comes to consoles, but many got released to PC as well....

Battle Fantasia - Neat fantasy themed fighter. 360 was the only platform to get a physical edition in the US.

Tales of Vesperia - One of a number of early JRPG exclusives, and while it did get an enhanced PS3 version in Japan, the rest of the world just has the 360 one.

Burnout Paradise - Open world driving challenges. Also on PC, of course.

in that vein...
Blur and Split/Second are both arcade style racers that are maybe marginally better on 360 than PS3, but solid on both. Blur features weapons where Split/Second has track hazards. Both are excellent games that, far as I know, have yet to see any sort of real follow-up on 8th gen.

Capcom Digital Collection

Project Sylpheed: Arc of Deception

Ninja Blade
Segata
Next-Gen

Post by Segata »

Nier
Deathsmiles
Akai Katana
Blue Dragon
Lost Odyssey
Espgaluda II
King of Fighters XIII
Bayonetta
Devil May Cry 4
Lost Planet
Lost Planet 2
Majin & The Forsaken Kingdom
Mushihime-sama Futari Ver 1.5
Raiden IV
Resonance of Fate
SEGA Rally Revo (killed the series despite being great)
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

WarTech: Senko No Ronde is a game I never hear anyone talk about. It's a bullet-hell shooter crossed with a fighting game. It's worth checking out.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

Gunstar Green wrote:WarTech: Senko No Ronde is a game I never hear anyone talk about. It's a bullet-hell shooter crossed with a fighting game. It's worth checking out.

I can’t wait to check that one out — I’m surprised I don’t have it already.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

Segata knows where it's at with Majin and the Forsaken Kingdom. I had a blast with it.
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

Post by dunpeal2064 »

Ninja Gaiden II - One of the greatest video games ever made. One of Itagaki's last games with Techmo/Team Ninja

Child of Eden - Successor to Rez, a lovely game.

Mushihimesama Futari - Also one of the greatest video games ever made. Just consider this a rep for every Cave release on the 360 :lol:

Tales of Vesperia - Its good! And I don't like most of the Tales games, this one stands on its own. Also will give you a ton of play time.

Final Fantasy XIII - Shh, everyone hates this game so I get to list it. beautiful game, amazing concept for action-turn-based, characters that you will, by design, love and hate. Its not for everyone, as it is ultra linear and has a tutorial that overstays a bit, but the game becomes rather brilliant from there (imo!)

Lost Odyssey - Quite a gripping story (Well, stories, there are tons, and you'll cry). Kind of a Legend of Dragoon/Shadow Hearts-lite combat system, that at least keeps things interesting.

Dead or Alive 4 - Itagaki's other last game with Techmo/Team Ninja, and its quite nice.

Bayonetta - Better here than the ps3. Insane 3D action by Kamiya, a master of action alongside Ikagaki, and the creator of DMC! Platinum fo lyfe

DMC4 - Not from the creator of DMC! :lol: Also somewhat unfinished, but what is here is really good. If the game was actually fully done it might even topple DMC3. As it stands, still enough here to fulfill, especially if you like exploiting the combat engine in these games.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance - Another 3D action game from Platinum. A rather silly take on the MGS franchise, but as an action game it is fairly solid. Cheese-able, for sure, but you'll have fun doing it.

Vanquish - I haven't even played this game, but I am fairly positive it still warrants a mention.

I'm sure there are more, but I'm at work and thus can't see my shelf! And my memory is terrible, so I probably missed some good stuff.
Last edited by dunpeal2064 on Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Segata
Next-Gen

Post by Segata »

Disregarding opinions on FFXIII as a game, it would not count in this thread. This is non-mainstream games and FFXIII sold 11 million copies. It's THE most mainstream RPG series out there in terms of popularity.