Choosing a PS2 Model?

Gaming on the Playstation and Xbox Platforms
SpaceBooger

Re: Choosing a PS2 Model?

Post by SpaceBooger »

I have a PS2 slim and fat. I used to use the slim and swapmagic.. but now I use the phat exclusively and only use retail games. Either my slim was finicky or I wore out the laser playing backups. I am interested in installing an HD to my phat since I saw there were SATA network adapters for sale.
What is the best way in 2017 to add and put games on a HD for the PS2?
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

SpaceBooger wrote:What is the best way in 2017 to add and put games on a HD for the PS2?

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=50574

My preferred method is to network transfer games from a PC to the PS2 HDD. It can be a little finicky to set up, but once it's set you're good to go. If you connect the PS2 HDD directly to a PC, dumping games on it is cake. There's just the annoyance of having to swap the HDD in and out of a PS2 and PC.

It's a good idea to set up the HDD initially on the PC side and dump your go-to games with the HDD connected directly to a PC. The transfer speed is much better this way versus network transfer. After this point, you'll likely only transfer games to the HDD every so often, so the slower network transfer speed isn't as big of a deal (coupled with the fact that you wont have to deal with the annoyance of uninstalling / reinstalling the HDD).
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Nick, keep in mind a soft modded PS2 will allow you to play games from other regions right off the HDD or USB. There's some solid JPN exclusives.

I use a Phat for loading PS2 retail ISOs off the internal HDD (including imports).

I use a Slim for all disc based games. The system has less wear on it. No ejecting tray to worry about.

You can also USB load PS1 game ISOs on either model via POPS & FMBC.

If you have no interest in mods, iso loading, or imports... go Slim.

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
ESauced
64-bit

Post by ESauced »

I know nothing of modding but as far as general reliability the slim is a vast improvement over the original model.

I had an original model that stopped reading games. I was actually able to open it up and adjust the laser and got it to the point where it was reading everything but black label PS2 games. I kept having to do it though and eventually just got rid of it because I was tired of fiddling with it.

I’ve owned my slim for many years more than I had that original model and I’ve not had a single issue.
SpikeSlania
24-bit

Post by SpikeSlania »

I saw no one bringing up those dreaded blue disc games that alot of systems I owned and friends owned had trouble playing. I generally had better luck getting them to work on fat models then I did slim. That and the ps2 fat model is the first console I ever bought with my own money so has a special place in my heart.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Those PS2 blue disc are CD ROMS. If it's not reading those, it's also not reading PS1 games.

Black label had nothing to do with it. Maybe you're thinking of the black bottom PS1 games?

You can still run into this on slims, but the slim will likely have less mileage on it.

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
ESauced
64-bit

Post by ESauced »

Jagosaurus wrote:Those PS2 blue disc are CD ROMS. If it's not reading those, it's also not reading PS1 games.

Black label had nothing to do with it. Maybe you're thinking of the black bottom PS1 games?

Yeah I meant to say bottom not label. It’s been a while and now that you mention it I was thinking of the blue bottom. Those were the first it stopped reading and I could never get it to read them again. I probably wasn’t trying ps1 games but those probably didn’t work either
stickem
Next-Gen

Post by stickem »

Piggybacking this thread, got a question. I stopped messing with the ps2 before hdtv's were a thing. I decided to get back into it recently. Bought some component cables and picked up a fat and slim and about 30 games. First one I wanted to try was disgaea. Well after about 2 hours of screwing with both models and component cables (getting the no signal message) and composite cables, I learned of course the game I wanted to play was 240p and didn't work with component, well at least the component input on the tv wont work with 240p. Will a component to hdmI convertor work with the 240p stuff?
Nemoide
Next-Gen

Post by Nemoide »

If you're TV doesn't accept a 240P input, I'm pretty sure you'll need a dedicated upscaler, like the XRGB.
stickem
Next-Gen

Post by stickem »

I'm thinking it just doesn't except it through component. I have a saturn and genesis with scart to hdmi that look good wiit one of those 50 dollar convertors. Guess I'll have to buy one and check it out. Metaljesus has a link to one he uses in his ps2 hdtv video that came out this week. Don't think it mentions if it works with 240p games though.