Anyone worried about PS3 online / updates ?

Gaming on the Playstation and Xbox Platforms
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Re: Anyone worried about PS3 online / updates ?

Post by Xeogred »

Not to play devil's advocate, but I think the glitch worry is a little exaggerated. I don't really buy many games brand new thesedays, but the few I do tend to be things like Fallout 4, or Bioware titles, etc, that are known for having the most issues. But I never really experience anything game breaking by being an early adopter with these. *knocks on wood*

However, I am greatly concerned about this and the future of the shop, along with the Wii VC shop. I'll always be more of a physical media guy, but I love my PS3, and it's nice to have that option to get Suikoden 2 for $10 instead of $100, etc. I always get annoyed when some titles are randomly pulled after awhile due to license issues or whatever and it's unnerving to wonder if these shops will be shutdown eventually.
KalessinDB
Next-Gen

Post by KalessinDB »

"when" the shops shut down, not if.

It'll hopefully be a while, but it's going to happen.
Gunning for a licensed NES NTSC-U set, follow the madness and poverty here!
Cheat sheet of my collection, always looking to increase it. 405/677 licensed games, 46/"95" unlicensed
Chronically out of date BST thread
Flake

Post by Flake »

In a weird way, I think that Sony's move to a different architecture with PS4 is going to help in this regard.

Platform holders are loathe to turn away any source of revenue and supporting the PS3's online functionality ongoing is the only way they can continue to monetize software that cannot run on the PS4. Since the PS3's online portal is the same as the PSP, VIta, and (I think) the PS4 it isn't like there is any added cost to allowing PS3's onto the network.
Maybe now Nintendo will acknowledge Metroid has a fanbase?
Forlorn Drifter
Next-Gen

Post by Forlorn Drifter »

I'm not worried about it, and I'm worried about patches the least because many of the games I've bought during 7th gen have been GOTY or whatever editions that come pre-patched.

As for PSN content, I do worry some, but at the same time, I know quite a large portion of it will be saved somewhere in the annals of the internet, and that a decent amount of it coming now seems to be multiplat.
ninjainspandex wrote:Maybe I'm just a pervert

PSN: Green-Whiskey
Owned Consoles: GameCube, N64, PS3, PS4, GBASP
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Forlorn Drifter wrote:I'm not worried about it, and I'm worried about patches the least because many of the games I've bought during 7th gen have been GOTY or whatever editions that come pre-patched.

Yeah, I'm doing the same. This is the first time ever that, before I buy a game, I research if there's different releases and whatnot. I definitely made sure to get the GOTY edition of Fallout 3, for example, even though I had plenty of opportunities to get the original release for very cheap.
retrosportsgamer
Next-Gen

Post by retrosportsgamer »

I do the same but your best bet for GOTYs that are multi plat is to go for 360 since most updates and dlc is on a separate install disc vs codes .

I've also gone the platinum route on titles since the patches are already there and most I've found don't have updates years after release (now that I've tested them).
Forlorn Drifter
Next-Gen

Post by Forlorn Drifter »

retrosportsgamer wrote:I do the same but your best bet for GOTYs that are multi plat is to go for 360 since most updates and dlc is on a separate install disc vs codes .

I've also gone the platinum route on titles since the patches are already there and most I've found don't have updates years after release (now that I've tested them).

Actually, I have yet to buy a single PS3 game with codes for...anything except online certification. :lol: It comes included on the singular disc most of the time, especially GOTY games with DLC.
ninjainspandex wrote:Maybe I'm just a pervert

PSN: Green-Whiskey
Owned Consoles: GameCube, N64, PS3, PS4, GBASP
retrosportsgamer
Next-Gen

Post by retrosportsgamer »

I should clarify - more so compilations like the Far Cry set, Infamous, Killzone , etc. trying to think of other examples. My Fallout GOTYs all had them all disc.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

This is always a problem with games needing patches or the additional download content which eventually will go away. Definitely download everything you can, the server will eventually go away for the PS3. Same applies to BluRay Live and Digital Copy movie downloads, a temporary service.

Updates not always idea
On the other side of the coin, I updated my older PC program Nero 7 directly from the Nero site, I prefer Nero 7 over the newer bloated Nero. After the update online, my Nero became crippled with some functions such as video capture not working correctly! Uninstall and reinstall Nero 7 made it even worse, only an upgrade purchase link and a version checker called Nero Scout would appear in my Start Menu.

NEVER run that Nero Scout which auto starts; I used MSConfig to disable it. I always disable auto update checks for all my programs including Windows 7. No way do I want to lose Virtual PC SP1.

After slugging thru the RegEdit files and deleting over a 100 entries (no kidding), I managed to reinstall the older Nero.
Attachments
Nero RegEdit.JPG
Nero RegEdit.JPG (58.79 KiB) Viewed 1573 times
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

CRTGAMER wrote:Updates not always ideal

PC applications and video games are two very different things though.

For PS3, I'm sure 99.9% of updates are bug fixes. In the case of the Wii U, Nintendo frequently puts out updates that ADDS CONTENT to the game, and not just bug fixing. Look at Super Mario Maker. Of course, a large part of the game is built on the fact that levels are shared online, and that will one day go away. But you can still play OFFLINE, building your own levels and playing with friends. Nintendo added several things to the game since it's release, including huge additions like checkpoints and stackable powerups. 20 years from now, when the flash memory in my U is no more, I'll only have the release version of the game that came on the disc.