PSA: Small batches of physical copies of digital-only games

Gaming on the Playstation and Xbox Platforms
theclaw
Next-Gen

Re: PSA: Small batches of physical copies of digital-only ga

Post by theclaw »

Scalpers are the business, their driving up demand for these releases is free marketing and what allows them to be profitable.

I don't think anyone seriously believes the print runs are big enough to be a legitimate attempt at getting them into the hands of interested users.
Lum fan.
MrEco
Next-Gen

Post by MrEco »

wclem wrote:
MrEco wrote:It might not be a perfect solution, but ultimately this seems like a consumer friendly service to me. 1,000 people getting physical copies of an otherwise digital game while 500 are being re-sold on Ebay is still better than 0 people having those physical copies.

Yeah but why not fulfill the entire market demand. Why shut me out when I am standing there with my 25 dollars in hand?

I think it's simply because they don't know how big the entire market demand is yet. They only just started doing this, so they'll need to test the waters and see whether or not physical copies of digital indie games is actually profitable. And it needs to be profitable over a long term period of time. It's still so early that (from a business perspective at least) there is the possibility that they're only selling out right now because it's something new and shiny that catches headlines.

Or maybe I'm blowing smoke, I don't know it's just an idea. I agree they should increase the numbers they sell, and I believe that in time they will do exactly that. Right now the biggest thing on my mind is hope that they can release some games that are more my preferred flavor so I actually have some incentive to give them my money.
I feel old when talking to anyone my age yet too inexperienced to effectively talk to anyone older. Life is grand that way.

My twitter handle is @EckoExplores
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

I remembered this topic existed.

Can we bring it back to life?

More stuff is coming/out now like Kromaia on disc for PS4
http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstat ... maia-omega
Fragems
Next-Gen

Post by Fragems »

One thing I think is kind of interesting about the store is they have an add-on section where you can choose to have your item mailed in a box for an additional fee I really think alot of sites could benefit from such a feature(looking at you Amazon). That being said given they are going after collector's I'm kind of surprised they don't ship in a box in the first place wasn't super impressed with the lite bubblemailer they shipped my Saturday Morning RPG game in luckily it wasn't damaged. It also blows my mind that they are charging $5 for a box that probably costs maybe $0.25-$0.30 and adds on at most $0.75-$1 to the shipping cost.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

I wish they'd do this with Wii U and 3DS games. I would kill a man to have Gunman Clive HD or Freedom Planet on a Wii U disc.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

retrosportsgamer
Next-Gen

Post by retrosportsgamer »

Just saw an article that Rocket League is going to get a physical release with all DLC and exclusive content this summer.
wclem
Next-Gen

Post by wclem »

retrosportsgamer wrote:Just saw an article that Rocket League is going to get a physical release with all DLC and exclusive content this summer.

Any word on who is gonna sell it or is it gonna be a regular release?
dsheinem wrote:In any case, sorry that my avatar makes you cringe these days, but I haven't really changed my posing habits at all.