Are Sony back to their evil selves?

Gaming on the Playstation and Xbox Platforms
Jmustang1968
Next-Gen

Re: Are Sony back to their evil selves?

Post by Jmustang1968 »

So eeevil. The words that get used and tossed around for companies who make decisions on backwards compatibility and the like.

If you want to play a game for a console, play it on its original console. Backwards compatibility is just a nice bonus. The snes and N64 weren't backwards compatible, dont hear much about Nintendo being evil for that.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Jmustang1968 wrote:So eeevil. The words that get used and tossed around for companies who make decisions on backwards compatibility and the like.

If you want to play a game for a console, play it on its original console. Backwards compatibility is just a nice bonus. The snes and N64 weren't backwards compatible, dont hear much about Nintendo being evil for that.

If a company does something someone doesn't like that makes them evil.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Cronozilla
Next-Gen

Post by Cronozilla »

Not 100% convenient backwards compatibility = EVIL!
Wishing someone gets their throat cut and tongue pulled out = OK (Colombian Neck Tie [sic])

Makes sense to me.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Another reason the PS4 holds no appeal for me.

I suggest the ColecoVision as an alternative.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Another reason the PS4 holds no appeal for me.

If you are upset about backwards compatibility, stick with the first generation right?
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

BogusMeatFactory wrote:
BoneSnapDeez wrote:Another reason the PS4 holds no appeal for me.

If you are upset about backwards compatibility, stick with the first generation right?

WHAT! ColecoVision isn't backwards compatible with Coleco Telstar! I'm outraged!
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

Goddamn money hungry businesses, trying to make money, even worse, trying to make a profit. How dare they! The bastards.

Edit: Why did anyone actually think that when it was leaked/revealed that Sony were developing a PS2 emulator, that you'd be able to use your PS2 discs? That was just stupid (no offence).
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

RyaNtheSlayA wrote:The PS+ requirement for online gaming was a dick move for sure.

I don't really see a problem in them not allowing you to use PS2 discs. There's at least some reason for that (mostly trophy and shareplay support they're building into the emulators).

What is bullshit about the PS2 backwards compatibility is that your PS2 classics from PS3 wont be carried over. So if they release Persona 3 FES for PS4, even if you bought it on PS3, you get to buy it again. That's real stupid.

Too bad PS4 and XboxOne do not allow the older disc games to run without an online authenticate download. Sony and Microsoft has a "Steam" control when to lock out a game already downloaded in an account. I suppose the game download is needed for emulation software drivers on the newer console; although the emulation could have been made to load the actual discs though.

Really? A PS2 game download purchased under a PS3 account will not carry over to your PS4 account? Now that is plain greedy! Downloads are just rentals, just buy the original PS2 disc game to avoid having to keep buying an emulated version on every new console generation.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

BogusMeatFactory wrote:Playstation plus was a natural progression. The Xbox has been doing it forever and people have been paying for it wholeheartedly without complaint and they wanted to capitalize on that as well. Dick move? Nope.

I wouldn't say without complaint. Free online play is something PlayStation owners have lorded over Xbox owners for years and it's part of the reason many people chose Sony of Microsoft in the first place.

That said I don't blame them for doing it, it makes perfect sense for them to do so. Still I wonder how many people they'll lose to PC gaming over it.
the7k
Next-Gen

Post by the7k »

Companies are neither good nor evil. They have only one responsibility, and that is to stay profitable. The only thing we can do as consumers to guide their hand is to vote with our wallets.

If you care about playing online without paying a fee to an extreme. then abandon the PS4 and Xbox One while taking up a Wii U and PC.

If you care about playing games from older generations without being forced to buy them all over again to an extreme, then abandon the PS4 and pick from the Wii U, Xbox One or a PC.

There's options for whatever it is you value. Throw enough money at it and maybe Sony will change their tune, but as long as it isn't unprofitable to keep this status quo, they'll keep on keeping on.