Recommend me some PS2 Imports (JP or PAL)

Gaming on the Playstation and Xbox Platforms
ninjainspandex
Next-Gen

Recommend me some PS2 Imports (JP or PAL)

Post by ninjainspandex »

Finally bit the bullet and bought a modded PS2, and picked up some Imports I wanted for a long time

So far I have bought these shmups
Thunderforce 6 (main reason I bought a modded PS2)
DoDonPachi DOJ
Mushimisama
Espgaluda
Giga Wing Generations
Stag XII
Homura

So anyone have any other suggestions? not just shmups but anything playable without knowing Japanese.

On a related note did Cave do a reprint on Dodonpachi DOJ, Mushihimisama, and Espgaluda or is the Yen just that weak now? I swear I looked into importing those games a few years ago and they were all around $80 and now they are all between $30-$50.
fahlim003
8-bit

Re: Recommend me some PS2 Imports (JP or PAL)

Post by fahlim003 »

Good picks on the Arika Cave games. DOJ and Espgaluda are quality and outside emulation or an arcade Espgaluda is found nowhere else. Mushihimesama was reprinted as a Taito Best about a year after the original release although I don't believe that's the cause of the overall price drop.

I think demand has shifted - previously PS2 was the import shooting game system for modern times but thanks to Xbox 360 taking the torch demand has dropped. Games like Mushihimesama are on 360 and for the better where the PS2 version has a bit of loading and has forced interlacing. DOJ too is on 360 although perhaps not entirely for the better despite having the uncommon Black Label at the forefront.

I suspect the exchange rate has something to do with it too but I think for the most part there's more competition where one can play these games versus 5+ years ago.

Given the plentiful start with shooting games I'll make only a couple brief alternate mentions:

ChainDive - think Nights into Dreams in a gritty techno-future. It's worth checking out pardon the story/dialogue being strictly Japanese, you lose nothing outside of the good game-play

Sega Ages 2500 Series - starting from volume 15 onward, you'll find a huge selection of some of the best upgrades to many classic Sega ips you'll ever know what to do with. Standouts for me are the Virtual On, Monster World, and the Gunstar Heroes Treasure Box sets.

Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Destiny: Federation vs ZAFT 2 Plus - if you're familiar with the old PS2 Federation vs Zeon Gundam game by Capcom (and the later Gundam vs Zeta Gundam) then you'll be right at home with this final PS2 release. I actually prefer the mechanics (handling) of the first game (MSG SEED: FvZ) yet that is strictly arcade only while this has a huge branching mission mode akin to GvZG. An excellent robot battler.
ninjainspandex
Next-Gen

Post by ninjainspandex »

I thought about getting the Treasure Box Sega Ages but I already have the Genesis games so no real point there, Same with Panzer Dragoon. Another game I have my eye on is Hakuto no Ken Fist of he North Star, a pretty cool 2D fighting game. I think my friend in Japan can get it for me for around $30.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

ninjainspandex
Next-Gen

Post by ninjainspandex »

Aren't all those Ys games available in english on the PSP and Vita?
brunoafh
Next-Gen

Post by brunoafh »

ninjainspandex wrote:I have my eye on is Hakuto no Ken Fist of he North Star

Definitely a solid choice, one of the best licensed anime games ever. Arc really came through on this one, I wish they would make another.

Here are some other suggestions:
Berserk: Millennium Falcon (English language patch available)
Shadow Tower Abyss (English language patch available)
Heavy Metal Thunder
Rumble Fish
Yu Yu Hakusho 120%
Sol Divide & Dragon Blaze (Psikyo Shooting Collection Vol 3)
The Shooting - Double Shienryu (Simple 2000 Series Vol 37)
Guilty Gear series

I also second the Sega AGES series, some really good stuff in there.
adosmond
24-bit

Post by adosmond »

Glad to hear you got that modded PS2 you were looking for!

If you're into the PS2 Final Fantasy games, there's an English version of FFX Intl and English patches for X-2 Intl and XII Intl.
There's also an English patch for Dragon Quest V.
Last edited by adosmond on Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
ninjainspandex
Next-Gen

Post by ninjainspandex »

adosmond wrote:Glad to hear you got that modded PS2 you were looking for!

If you're into the PS2 Final Fantasy games, there's an English version of FFX Intl and English patches for X-2 Intl and XII Intl.

Thanks, is there any point of getting FFX International now that there is the HD PS3 version (I have it on the Vita) I thought those were HD ports of the International version?
adosmond
24-bit

Post by adosmond »

ninjainspandex wrote:
adosmond wrote:Glad to hear you got that modded PS2 you were looking for!

Thanks, is there any point of getting FFX International now that there is the HD PS3 version (I have it on the Vita) I thought those were HD ports of the International version?

Oh yeah, I totally forgot the HD remakes were based off of the Intl versions. That's why I decided not to get the HD remakes.. :lol: My bad.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

These are a few I've gotten that I think were worth tracking down and importing:

PLAY KING'S FIELD.