Gaming on the Playstation and Xbox Platforms
fyuro14w
Newbie
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:13 pm

playatation 3 20gb

by fyuro14w Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:51 pm

Any one else still enjoying there 20gigs
User avatar
BRIK
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 1447
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:20 am
Location: Perth, Australia

Re: playatation 3 20gb

by BRIK Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:04 pm

Nope, I've been rocking a 40gb since 2008 though. I've been meaning to replace the HDD for years, but it will probably never happen.
Retro Game On << Please check out my retro gaming blog. Includes reviews, news, articles, videos and just plain awesomeness.

Retro Game On's YouTube Channel << Featuring reviews, features and repair videos.

Breaking Into The Industry <<Also my development blog (with video game related posts)
User avatar
Exhuminator
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 11573
Joined: Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:24 am

Re: playatation 3 20gb

by Exhuminator Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:02 pm

After reading how many PS3 games have mandatory installs I realized that I was only happy with the 500gb model. So that's the one I bought.

http://www.perezstart.com/sony/ps3/ps3- ... sted/9387/

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=150614
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
wclem
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 2583
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:50 pm

Re: playatation 3 20gb

by wclem Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:07 pm

Dropped a 1 TB in my PS3 in like 20 minutes. Well worth the effort. I do not even bother managing the drive, just leave all those installs and downloaded games right on the drive. Except for Defiance, that piece of %$#@!!!!
dsheinem wrote:In any case, sorry that my avatar makes you cringe these days, but I haven't really changed my posing habits at all.
User avatar
01toubib
32-bit
 
Posts: 203
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:27 am

Re: playatation 3 20gb

by 01toubib Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:22 pm

20GBs were cool looking with the all Black front plate vs the chrome. Too bad it didn't have Wifi, it's the only PS3 without it.

I bought the 60GB on launch day, it's still chugging along. Doesn't like PS2 games though. Stresses it out.
User avatar
ZeroAX
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 7471
Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:20 am
Location: Current: Amsterdam. From Greece

Re: playatation 3 20gb

by ZeroAX Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:35 pm

Exhuminator wrote:After reading how many PS3 games have mandatory installs I realized that I was only happy with the 500gb model. So that's the one I bought.


replacement hd is your friend ;). Upgraded mine from 80 to 500 9 months after I got it. Not only do I have more space than I know what to do with, I even have a bunch of ripped TV shows there.
Image
BoneSnapDeez wrote:The success of a console is determined by how much I enjoy it.
User avatar
lisalover1
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 4962
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:50 am
Location: Redmond, WA

Re: playatation 3 20gb

by lisalover1 Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:23 pm

Several years ago when my first PS3 HDD crashed, I ordered a 500 GB replacement, and never looked back. :)
Image
~My name's Vicky, by the way!~ ^_^
User avatar
Cronozilla
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 2610
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:15 pm
Location: Oregon, USA.

Re: playatation 3 20gb

by Cronozilla Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:34 pm

01toubib wrote:20GBs were cool looking with the all Black front plate vs the chrome. Too bad it didn't have Wifi, it's the only PS3 without it.

I bought the 60GB on launch day, it's still chugging along. Doesn't like PS2 games though. Stresses it out.


I've opened a couple of those PS3s, they have thermal insulators on the PS2 chips. So, they could probably overheat pretty easily. Inside all the PS2s they have heat sinks on them ... they don't inside the PS3, and they're thermally insulated.

It makes sense though, it's probably because the PS3 chips run hotter than the PS2 chip's thermal capacity.

Anyway, replacing thermal paste might actually help, by reducing ambient temperature of the system. The stock paste dries out pretty quickly on a PS3, within a year or so. Be a good idea to replace it with something nice.

It's a thought, anyway.

I would upgrade the HDDs on my systems, but for some reason, harddrives are like the lowest importance in my house. They get used until they don't work, regardless of speed ... or noise.
User avatar
Kidpanda
64-bit
 
Posts: 483
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:52 pm
Location: Panda Island™

Re: playatation 3 20gb

by Kidpanda Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:43 pm

I'm still rocking my 20 gig with a 500 gig hd in it. Need to have the paste replaced though as its still a virgin.
Image
User avatar
01toubib
32-bit
 
Posts: 203
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:27 am

Re: playatation 3 20gb

by 01toubib Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:42 pm

Cronozilla wrote:I've opened a couple of those PS3s, they have thermal insulators on the PS2 chips. So, they could probably overheat pretty easily. Inside all the PS2s they have heat sinks on them ... they don't inside the PS3, and they're thermally insulated.

It makes sense though, it's probably because the PS3 chips run hotter than the PS2 chip's thermal capacity.

Anyway, replacing thermal paste might actually help, by reducing ambient temperature of the system. The stock paste dries out pretty quickly on a PS3, within a year or so. Be a good idea to replace it with something nice.

It's a thought, anyway.


You are pretty spot on with what I've found as well. I've opened up at least 100 PS3s by now. The paste used by sony is pretty poor imo, it's similar to a tooth paste once it dries (and it dries pretty quick). Artic Silver 5 will work wonders on a old console with dried paste.
Return to Sony and Microsoft

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests