Playing the entire Metal Gear Saga!

Gaming on the Playstation and Xbox Platforms
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Re: Playing the entire Metal Gear Saga!

Post by Exhuminator »

BogusMeatFactory wrote:I feel that this will keep up and I honestly am not excited in the least for it.

You can find yourself cart wheeling naked in an ascending colon needing scissors! 61! hearing it's amazing when the famous purple stuffed worm in flap-jaw space with the tuning fork does a raw blink on Hara-kiri Rock.

Yeah. Run away now, lest you actually come to understand those horrid references.

MGS2 is a snide wankfest that mocks you ever more deeply the longer you suffer its pretentious ouroboros'd ass. As a trolling experience it is peerless in the video game world, I'll give it that.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

That's something I love about it. It's 4th wall breaking at its finest.
CavZee
Next-Gen

Post by CavZee »

Xeogred wrote:That's something I love about it. It's 4th wall breaking at its finest.

I really liked a lot of the stuff like they did with MGS2.
Steam/NNID: CavZee PSN: I_CavZee_I
3DS FC: 5456-0768-7231
Frag Mortuus
Next-Gen

Post by Frag Mortuus »

Im currently playing through Portable Ops. While it is fun, I'm not a fan of the broken up sections and small mission based goals. However, I am only at the beginning of the game. I almost quit because the controls are so bad, it's like you need three thumbs to play this game. You can't walk to control the camera at the same time. It's a horrid control scheme.

Also, you can tell that Kojima wasn't involved much with it. That's why there is such a huge difference between PO and PW.
noiseredux wrote:Frag Mortuus rules.

Sell/Trade/Want List
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

Frag Mortuus wrote:Also, you can tell that Kojima wasn't involved much with it. That's why there is such a huge difference between PO and PW.

It could also be iteration. They both have a similar structure that's (so far) unique to the PSP entries (though I'm guessing MGSV will incorporate some of it, given the base management stuff in the companion app). For as much as Peace Walker fixes or adjusts, it also keeps a good bit like Portable Ops had, or even strips things out, like being able to crawl under things.

Some of the annoyances in Portable Ops could easily be things that Kojima gave a thumbs up on, since in a way they kind of echo the over-done systems in MGS3. For example, collecting food, which can go bad, to keep stamina up as it drops quickly, using several items when wounded, and so on kind of echo the cumbersome capture mechanics in Portable Ops. Or being able to swap between several characters that you needed to remember to swap inventory items around with. Both have a lot of micro-management that just isn't present in prior or later games.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

I finished Portable Ops a few years ago, I thought it was a fun game, quite atmospheric. I got hooked on building up my little army for sure. Don't recall having problems with the controls, but then again PSP solo nub + any third person action game = compromises.

I still haven't played Peace Walker yet... it will be interesting to see how Kojima handled the lack of a second analog stick for that one.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

Exhuminator wrote:I still haven't played Peace Walker yet... it will be interesting to see how Kojima handled the lack of a second analog stick for that one.

Well, that one you can play in HD Edition form, which uses a dual stick layout by default (the PSP has a couple layouts to pick from, which are available as well).
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

I've never completed a single MGS game, believe it or not, so I'm going to try and play through the main games in the series. I'm playing in release order, rather than the timeline order. I recently completed the main part of Ground Zeroes (with it being so short) and figured I got myself up to speed, since I really enjoyed it.

I'm going to play:

MGS Twin Snakes
MGS2
MGS3
MGS4
MGS Peace Walker

At the moment, I'm playing through Twin Snakes. I'm really enjoying it so far, although it has aged quite a bit (particularly the controls).

I'm just up to...
The torture scene, just after defeating Sniper Wolf
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

Reprise wrote:I've never completed a single MGS game, believe it or not, so I'm going to try and play through the main games in the series. I'm playing in release order, rather than the timeline order. I recently completed the main part of Ground Zeroes (with it being so short) and figured I got myself up to speed, since I really enjoyed it.

I'm going to play:

MGS Twin Snakes
MGS2
MGS3
MGS4
MGS Peace Walker

At the moment, I'm playing through Twin Snakes. I'm really enjoying it so far, although it has aged quite a bit (particularly the controls).

I'm just up to...
The torture scene, just after defeating Sniper Wolf

You and I are in the same boat. I beat Metal Gear Solid earlier this year and finally was able to procure Metal Gear Solid 2 and have started playing that.

The age is there and it can be frustrating at times, but I felt like trudging through it was worthwhile.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

BogusMeatFactory wrote:You and I are in the same boat. I beat Metal Gear Solid earlier this year and finally was able to procure Metal Gear Solid 2 and have started playing that.

The age is there and it can be frustrating at times, but I felt like trudging through it was worthwhile.

The weird thing is, I bought the original MGS not long after it came out and I loved it and quickly called it one of my favourite games. For whatever reason, I never completed it though. I still ended up buying other MGS games though but never feeling like I could play them until I completed the first.

It got to a point where they kept releasing awesome new Metal Gear games and I knew I had to go through them and complete them all, so I could enjoy these new ones properly. I already feel guilty for playing Ground Zeroes :lol:
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328