Xbox 360 does not do true HD?

Gaming on the Playstation and Xbox Platforms
Mega-Dan
24-bit

Xbox 360 does not do true HD?

Post by Mega-Dan »

I just bought a Xbox 360, (I got an amazing deal, for 354 plus shipping got a premium with oblivion, ghost recon advance war fighter hd video adapter, two controllers, and battery) and found out that when you connect it to a monitor it can only output at a maximum of 1280x1024, not the true 1080i spec of 1920 × 1080 when connected to my computer monitor. This leads me to beleive that when the xbox 360 is connected to a HD television that it is upconverting from 540p to 1080i, and that is why I believe the xbox 360 cannot play movies in 720p progressive scan.
Now people know why I dont want to buy a HD TV, HD is a broken wasteland of lies that sucks the money out of the consumer faster than the desert sun at high noon.
lordofduct
Next-Gen

Post by lordofduct »

ummmm... your monitor only accepts a Progressive Scan signal, not a interlaced signal. Because it is accepting such a high progressive scan signal means it should be able to put out a 720p signal.

how can I guess that? 720p is 1280X720 progressive.

Now in interlaced... it is forcing higher resolutions through a lower bandwidth by breaking the scan lines in half; kind of like saying taking 540p and doubling it up, but not. The XBOX draws all 1080 vertical lines but only passes 540 of them out per vertical fullscan (every other line), then passes the other 540 out the next pass filling in the gaps. The faults of interlacing is not HDTVs fault and doesn't make HDTV a wasteland... it is Histories fault and at its time of inception it was a brilliant idea.

What surprises me is the XBOX 360 can do higher then 720p. It can handle 1280X1024 progressive, which is more vertical scan lines then 720p.

Oh yeah... and your monitor shouldn't be PUT in any of the HDTV standards for the fact that the standards are wide screen... your monitor isn't widescreen.

[EDIT] Go here for a better description of interlacing
www.lordofduct.com - check out my blog

Space Puppy Studios - games for gamers by gamers
neohx_7
64-bit

Post by neohx_7 »

When you say true HD, you might mean 1920x1080 60hz. Apparently nothing on the Xbox360 is not pushing this resolution, and even if it could they aren't using it.
Mega-Dan
24-bit

I guess what I meant was....

Post by Mega-Dan »

I guess I meant that the xbox 360 cant do 1080p, only 1080i, and that supposedly the PS3 will be able too do true 1080p while playing games. HOWEVER Sony has lied before and this could all be a bunch of crap as well. I believe this could be an important decision making criteria for the high end crowd.
turkey
24-bit

Post by turkey »

if your really into high end gear to the point you have a tv big enough to tell the difference with uaual viewing can easily afford both. Plus if i was into real high end stuff i would never use a console as a blueray player not after seeing the ps2 manage to make dvds look so bad. Makes the ps3 look rather expensive if you dont intend to use blueray.......