Gaming on the Playstation and Xbox Platforms
Segata
Next-Gen

Re: The PS4 thread

by Segata Sun May 28, 2017 5:09 pm

I have a 1TB external HDD attached and been a god send. My 500GB was getting full. I am also just super happy about how my library is turning out on PS4. My good friend works in the industry from AAA to indie,met and got drunk with many famous devs even convinced SUDA to remake Silver Case. I say this as it's all given him great insight and usually right. However for once he was dead wrong about something. PS4 not having any true hidden gems. he explained his case well but I could not accept it. he ate his crow since happily lol. PS4 is a monster.
Dreamcast is love,Dreamcast is life!
Twitter Segata
jmbarnes101
Next-Gen

by jmbarnes101 Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:22 pm

I'll preface this by saving I don't own a PlayStation console and haven't had one since the PS2, which I sold last year. I was in Gamestop yesterday looking at Wii and Wii U games, can't find a Switch console yet, and noticed on the counter a box for a Gold PS4 for $250, comes with a 1TB HD. I have a friend who wants me to get something, PS4 or PC, I can play Diablo 3 with him on. I'm also interested in the Disney Capcom Collection and trying something like Bioshock or Fallout, series I've never tried before, and of course Kingdom Hearts. I ended up pre-ordering it but I'm not sure what I want to do. Obviously you folks like the PS4 or you wouldn't be posting in this thread.

What are your thoughts on the PS4 for someone who typically doesn't play anything excep on Nintendo consoles and handhelds and old Sega consoles? I do enjoy my PSP from time to time. Would this be a good version to get or should I look at something else? Pass completely? I wish it came with a game but I it seemed like a decent price. Thoughts are definitely encouraged.
My FS/FT/WTTF list:
http://racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=51197

Game Systems Owned:
NES, NES 2 (AV mod), SNES, SNES 2, N64 (Pikachu), Gamecube (Silver, Purple JPN modded), Wii, Wii U (Zelda), GB Pocket, GBA (2x-Arctic & Indigo), GBA SP (3x), DS Lite (Crimson/Black), 3DS (Aqua Blue), Sega CDX, Saturn, Game Gear, Lynx, PSP (2x)
retrosportsgamer
Next-Gen

by retrosportsgamer Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:50 pm

This is a good bundle to jump in on. 1 TB is nice (you can use expanded media now anyway) but the price point is the best yet. Plus you have quite a library (and games drop price quickly). You will not be disappointed.

It's a weird quirk but I'm not big on the gold - aesthetic-wise.
isiolia
Next-Gen

by isiolia Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:58 pm

The standard MSRP for a PS4 has been $299.99, with a 500GB drive. So, the limited edition gold one is a pretty nice deal - the 1TB drive is apparently the new standard, with the black system updated to having that as well. The $249.99 price, so far, looks to be promotional, as other PS4 models are still $299.99.
Practically speaking, it gives you a $50 allowance to buy a game (or games) instead of bundling one.

The PS4, like the PS3, does make swapping out the internal drive fairly simple though. So $50-60 could upgrade any PS4 you want to 1TB (or $90 or so put a 2TB hybrid drive in, like I did for mine).

It's a good deal, I think, if you were looking to get a PS4 anyway. If you have a 4k TV (or plan to get one soon) then holding out for a PS4 Pro bundle or something might be better.

In general, it's also a great time to jump into owning one as there are plenty of cheap games for it at this point.
Fragems
Next-Gen

by Fragems Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:34 pm

Yeah there are a lot of cheap sub $20 games at the moment as well as some good compilations for cheap so it's a really good time to hop on the PS4 bandwagon.
SuperDerpBro
128-bit

by SuperDerpBro Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:06 pm

I just got a CIB used PS4 from my brother for $140 CAD! Buying up all the exclusives. They are all pretty cheap used now. Got Zero Dawn new on sale. This is gonna be a fun few months! :D
Child owned from a INTERNET GAS filled home.
jmbarnes101
Next-Gen

by jmbarnes101 Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:18 pm

Well I'm leaning towards the PS4 but in the meantime I just picked up Limited Run's Broken Age. I know nothing about it short of the description but Psychonauts, Tim Shafer, and point-and-click sold me. 25% of stock left on this item.

I could look this up but can anyone tell me if the PS4 has any backwards compatibility?
My FS/FT/WTTF list:
http://racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=51197

Game Systems Owned:
NES, NES 2 (AV mod), SNES, SNES 2, N64 (Pikachu), Gamecube (Silver, Purple JPN modded), Wii, Wii U (Zelda), GB Pocket, GBA (2x-Arctic & Indigo), GBA SP (3x), DS Lite (Crimson/Black), 3DS (Aqua Blue), Sega CDX, Saturn, Game Gear, Lynx, PSP (2x)
isiolia
Next-Gen

by isiolia Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:29 pm

PS4 has no backwards compatibility. There's a selection of digital-only PS2 remasters, but that's about it (there are plenty of 7th gen remasters too, but no general support for old games or PSN purchases).
Melek-Ric
32-bit

by Melek-Ric Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:46 am

isiolia wrote:PS4 has no backwards compatibility. There's a selection of digital-only PS2 remasters, but that's about it (there are plenty of 7th gen remasters too, but no general support for old games or PSN purchases).

And not only that, but Sony doesn't seem to care that the competition is offering BC for free. They used to care a lot about it, going so far as to put the hardware in the PS2/3. It's a shame. I won't pay for PS2 games I already own to play them on the PS4.
"Challenging my unit was both foolish and reckless! You are nothing more than my prey... one that is soon to be retired!"
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

by PartridgeSenpai Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:48 am

Given that the PS4 just has SO many more fantastic exclusives than the Xbone (not to mention that all the Xbone exclusives can just be played on PC anyway), that trumps the Xbone being backwards compatible on a small handful of 360 titles for me by a country mile. I still own my PS3 and 360, so BC ain't really a big deal for me in the first place.
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
Return to Sony and Microsoft