Playstation queries (AV out and how to play backups)

Gaming on the Playstation and Xbox Platforms
Ivo
Next-Gen

Playstation queries (AV out and how to play backups)

Post by Ivo »

So I was wondering if I should ever get a PS (the original one) and suddenly the opportunity came up to buy one cheap (5 pounds... Maybe I overpaid for it but such a micropayment anyway) - it comes with 2 of the original controllers (the more basic ones), and a memory card.
I have some questions:

1. I guess I would have to chip it to run backups. Anyone cares to give me details?

2. Is there any way to check if the version I have has a CD drive of 1x or 2x (I read somewhere later ones are faster?)

3. What AV out cables does it use (I need to get one to hook it up to a TV)

Any hints and tips you might want to offer outside the answers to my questions are mostly welcome.

Ivo.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

Wish I could help, but I just emulate with ePSXe
Mozgus
Next-Gen

Post by Mozgus »

Get a mod chip if you have soldered before. Otherwise buy a boot disc (Breaker Pro) to play copies. Be warned that the boot disc will not help you much when you are playing a multi-disc RPG which requires IMMEDIATE swapping to the next disc, once you reach that point in the story. On games like this, (Parasite Eve 2, Chrono Cross, Metal Gear Solid), you will need to be an expert on the swap trick to proceed.

mod-chip dot com has never steered me wrong.

All PS1's and PSOne's have the same disc speed. Some just might have been improved in terms of lifespan or noise.

You can use an RF adaptor for coaxial connections, or composite/s-video for modern TVs.
Ivo
Next-Gen

Post by Ivo »

Mozgus wrote:mod-chip dot com has never steered me wrong. (...)

You can use an RF adaptor for coaxial connections, or composite/s-video for modern TVs.

Humm... I think I might get a PS2 eventually and it would make more sense to chip that one instead of having both chipped (I'm in absolutely no hurry whatsoever to play anything, as usual I can't even get enough time to finish games I'm playing at the moment :P)

As for the RF, I was more concerned with the seemingly proprietary part that connects to the PS. I guess you can get a cable more or less easily at some shop, I was just wondering if it WAS proprietary or if I could easily find it (usually cheaper) outside dedicated games shops.

EDIT: As I'm into the questions thing, how does the region lockout work in the PS? Is there a nice region converter program for backups like for the Saturn?

Ivo.
turkey
24-bit

Post by turkey »

the modchip for the ps2 and the psx remove the region as well bud so its simple as ... burn.... play ;)

there are plenty of 3rd party video leads, but strongly recoment a rgb scart lead, especially if you plan to play ntsc titles as the regular av lead wont be able to handle ntsc in colour.