Killer Is Dead (new Suda51 game!!!!!!!)

Gaming on the Playstation and Xbox Platforms
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Re: Killer Is Dead (new Suda51 game!!!!!!!)

Post by Xeogred »

Damn the reviews are terrible for this game. All I'm seeing is "Japan lol = bad" or people suggesting raunchy humor and style = terrible. Because you obviously don't know what you're getting into with something like this? ... OH but wait dildos and potty humor are okay for Saints Row 4? Can't wait to see these reviewers worship the grounds of that one instead.

Irony! Keep those under the table checks coming AAA jerks.

The worst part is seeing tons of people eat this crap up. No wonder Japanese gaming declined, reviewers killed it.
TEKTORO
Next-Gen

Post by TEKTORO »

I seen a Forbes review (unbiased and positive) that seem pretty authentic to me, the reviewer never played a Suda Game and it unexpectedly was on his doorstep. I read it and it was pretty precise on what to expect from Killer is Dead, and he explained some of the later missions which in turn says he played a bit of it.

On the other hand I read the IGN review (scored 5/10), and off the bat I can tell the reviewer played only but 5 mins of Killer is Dead and dismissed anything the game actually offered. Sounded like he was going with the other negative reviews out there so far, cause he didn't explain any of the negatives specifically.

I'm still a bit into it and will be returning to it again tonight, and still stand by my positive view on Killer is Dead imo as Sudas best work to date. Either way, its art in an interaction form, Suda expresses his style as he should and there's fans and then there's politics. Win Win for him! 8)
If you can see the future while remembering the past, you may just have control of the present.
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

Post by Gamerforlife »

I'm kind of neutral on it so far. The combat has some nice elements. While Lollipop Chainsaw was straight up, old school, beat 'em up, this one borrows a bit from modern games like DMC and Bayonetta with the ability to do perfect guards(DMC) and last minute evades(Bayonetta). Personally, I like LC's more old school approach, but I don't mind the combat in Killer is Dead so far. The only glaring flaw I'm seeing is the inability to lock on to enemies. It lends a certain sloppiness to combat in a game that wants you to be able to block and evade attacks with perfect timing. Course, you don't have to do blocks and evades with perfect timing, but the benefits make it hard not to want to. The difference between a simple evade that just dodges an attack and a perfectly timed one that slows down time and allows you to unleash a flurry of attacks on an enemy is huge, particularly in a boss fight. It's pretty damn satisfying too when you get into slow mo. I feel like I can't say much about combat until I get more upgrades as I didn't really get much out of Lollipop Chainsaw's combat until I got Juliette sufficiently upgraded that I was finally able to start doing some fun stuff with her. Similarly, I feel like I haven't really seen yet what Modo is capable of yet until I get more upgrades and unlock some more subweapons.

I'm sort of "meh" on the story. It's mostly your typical Japanese drek. A lot of occult nonsense, absurd melodrama with lots of long, awkward stares, and characters spitting out high school philosophy, and your typical Japanese character tropes i.e. teenage girl who is over excitable, dumb and kind of annoying, but is supposed to be cute and adorable to the player, and super serious samurai protaganist, etc, etc, etc. It's every generic anime you've ever seen. Not to say it doesn't have its moments, but the Westernizing of Lollipop Chainsaw with James Gunn doing the script puts it leagues ahead of what I've seen so far in Killer is Dead. Even Shadows of the Damned was better than this. Frankly, Killer is Dead seems too Japanese for its own good unlike Suda's last two games. I find myself really missing the Western influence here. Granted, there is a Grindhouse-like intro for every stage, but beyond that the game feels very Japanese.

The Gigalo stuff is silly and fun. Like I've said with games like Lollipop Chainsaw and Dragon's Crown, I find it odd that some people get so offended by stuff like this when it is so comical. It feels like a silly arcade mini-game. The main character is sort of a James Bond character meshed with overly serious/Japanese samurai. No one ever bitched about Bond and his womanizing. It's practically the same thing here, but done in a silly, over the top fashion you can only find in a Japanese game. I mean you watch your guy get down on one knee to give girls gifts in the middle of the date, listen to some Japanese guy yell out random stuff as you earn points, and when you succeed the game tells you that you've won this woman's heart and soul with your gift. It's just really silly.

I don't really love or hate the game so far. I need to see more of it. I've finished three or four missions, one or two challenges, three gigalo dates, as well as the DLC mission. So far, it feels like the game's still holding back. Like the first couple missions are just getting your feet wet and letting you learn the game. By this point, I had already seen lots of crazy stuff in Lollipop Chainsaw. Killer is Dead seem a bit slower paced which may be why I'm not that impressed yet.
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
ZenErik
Next-Gen

Post by ZenErik »

Feels too Japanese for you? Sounds better than those two other Suda games to me already.
My B/S/T thread! :)
Switch ID: ??? ||| PSN ID: ZenErik (PS4) ||| Steam: Erikdayo
TEKTORO
Next-Gen

Post by TEKTORO »

ZenErik wrote:Feels too Japanese for you? Sounds better than those two other Suda games to me already.

And note Xseed and what they do.
If you can see the future while remembering the past, you may just have control of the present.
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

Post by Gamerforlife »

There's just not as much of that humor and fun as his previous titles. Not from what I've played so far anyway. Mondo is just so boring compared to Juliette or Garcia Hotspur. He just makes frowny faces all day and keeps repeating, "The job. KILLER IS DEAD!" :roll:

He's just a cliche, anime badass and boring as fuck

The game is a mix of good and bad for me so far. I just had a boss fight that was extremely creative and interesting, taking place in a dream. Probably one of the most inspired boss fights I've ever seen due to the way it plays around with player perspective. The whole level was kind of cool as we see Suda getting artsy on us. The game has had some decent boss battles so far, but this was the best one yet.

But then you have these incredibly stupid levels where you wonder around a labyrinth in the dark looking for randomly placed torches to light, which serve no real purpose as they don't all point you in the right direction to get out of these stupid mazes. It's one of the most ridiculous, WTF moments I've ever seen in a game. The "missions" are pretty stupid too. Protecting lights from bat swarms? Wondering around a house looking for bugs to kill? Really? Seriously? Does that sound fun to anyone?

Please

Lollipop Chainsaw didn't waste your time with stupid crap like that. Plus, I miss being able to replay levels which Killer is Dead doesn't let you do. Every level I've finished is gone and can't be replayed. Kind of sucks if you want to work on upgrading your character
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

Post by Gamerforlife »

God, the "Connoisseur" mission is one of the most horribly designed levels I've ever seen in a game, not to mention one of the ugliest. This stage looks like an early PS2 game, if even that. If the demo for Killer is Dead consisted of this one stage, I guarantee no one would have spent money on this game. How did this level not get cut from the game?

It's another one of those "mission" levels. They are just god awful. They should have been cut from the game entirely. They are ugly looking and just stupid and pointless. Feels like low budget game garbage.
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Incoming Gamerforlife triple/quad posts!
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

Post by Gamerforlife »

Xeogred wrote:Incoming Gamerforlife triple/quad posts!

I rarely go over three :wink:

And I can't help it that some threads take forever to get bumped around here. What are you people doing with your time? You should be playing games :lol:

Actually, I posted more thoughts in the games not beaten thread as I'm not sure I will stick with this. I just finished chapter 7 of the story mode, along with most of the side missions and challenges. To sum up the three or four paragraphs I typed up in the games not beaten thread, I'll just say that Killer is Dead is boring...like, really boring. Like I can't believe this is a Suda 51 game boring. I went into more detail in the other thread, but I think the reviews for this game are right on the money. Something went wrong here. It's like Suda half assed this one, or is just burnt out. Lollipop Chainsaw is a far better game and so is Shadows of the Damned (which I wasn't even that big a fan of)

I haven't played every Suda game, so I'm not in the position to say that it's his worse game, but I know some reviews have...and I'm inclined to think they are right. If the game still hasn't impressed me after 7 chapters, I doubt it ever will.
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
brunoafh
Next-Gen

Post by brunoafh »

Just curious did you play No More Heroes? You seem to have a lot of praise for Lollipop Chainsaw, which is going on the NMH template so you would probably like it a lot. I think the original NMH is his best game by a mile. It kind of makes Lollipop Chainsaw look like half a game. It's almost like after No More Heroes, Suda has kind of just been like "meh" with his projects. It's also worth noting that he hasn't had the role of complete direction/writing/design since No More Heroes, something I think not everyone fully realizes with these Grasshopper Manufacture games.