The Last Guardian cancelled?

Gaming on the Playstation and Xbox Platforms
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Re: The Last Guardian cancelled?

Post by dsheinem »

mine arrived today.

I haven't turned on the game...but my artbook was messed up...the binding is upside down and backwards (like this https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.reddit ... ent=safari) :lol:

The steelbook is nice!
MrEco
Next-Gen

Post by MrEco »

dsheinem wrote:mine arrived today.

I haven't turned on the game...but my artbook was messed up...the binding is upside down and backwards (like this https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.reddit ... ent=safari) :lol:

The steelbook is nice!

Mine also arrived today, but I have the opposite problem. The art book is fine, but the steelbook case has one corner crushed/bent and won't close all the way.

I've played a bit of it and can say I enjoy it thoroughly so far. Feels a little surreal to even be playing it though, I only found out the game was actually releasing two days before it's launch.

My only complaint so far is that the camera feels way too sticky on the beast, like it's constantly trying to frame it to the point of ignoring the direction I'm trying to turn the camera.
I feel old when talking to anyone my age yet too inexperienced to effectively talk to anyone older. Life is grand that way.

My twitter handle is @EckoExplores
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

I hope mine came today. It came with Royal Mail, which suddenly turns to shit the second 1st December comes and continues being slow as fuck until Christmas is gone.

Wish I'd pre-ordered it from Amazon now, since I have Prime delivery.

Edit: Yay, my copy came. Playing it now :D
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
Blu
Next-Gen

Post by Blu »

I am digging this game so far. I loved Ico and Shadow of the Colossus. A girl in high school gave me Ico for a Secret Santa gift for my french class. I didn't really appreciate how awesome that game was until later in life. Really cool of her.

I thinkLast Guardian was one of the reasons that motivated my PS4 purchase. I am really digging the cel-shaded graphics on the young boy, and the painting of fluffiness that is Trico. It's really quite beautiful. I don't think the controls are all that cumbersome. Folks are complaining that Trico takes some convincing or gets in the way of the gameplay. He's a wild mythical beast that has recently befriended you, not some world-class obedience dog. Throwing barrels into this gryphon-pup's mouth is really satisfying, as is climbing up his tail. and riding on his back. I'm having a lot of fun. My wife, who usually doesn't get interested in games, was watching and giving suggestions on what I should do.

This could likely be my favorite game of 2016 this year if it keeps up. I played probably 3 hours last night for the first time booting it up. Hoping it continues this way.
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

Blu wrote:My wife, who usually doesn't get interested in games, was watching and giving suggestions on what I should do.

Dude, my wife was doing the exact same thing. She found Trico really captivating too; she loved the little details like him stopping to scratch his ear or not wanting to go into the water until I got some barrels of food to convince him.
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

Blu
Next-Gen

Post by Blu »

Reprise wrote:
Blu wrote:My wife, who usually doesn't get interested in games, was watching and giving suggestions on what I should do.

Dude, my wife was doing the exact same thing. She found Trico really captivating too; she loved the little details like him stopping to scratch his ear or not wanting to go into the water until I got some barrels of food to convince him.

Hahaha, so awesome. She was like, "Pet him and calm him down! No, pet him more." She liked how he also paws at the barrels if you get near him holding one. Or how he scratches and feathers float out. There's a lot of little details painted into his character. She likes to think he's some sort of Gryphon, and that his wings were pruned. She feels empathy for the fellow. I can't wait (though I dread something horrible is going to happen to Trico) to see what happens.

That and I really enjoy games that are intuitive in the controls with regards to your environment and puzzles. Something about their studio they made their games so they paint clues or hints as obvious, but requires you to explore your environment. It's less hand holding, and requires you to let something catch your eye. I've admired Team ICO for how they let that show up in their games.
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

Yeah, my wife is the same. We're both cat mad and have a cat we both love to bits and although Trico isn't quite a cat, the mannerisms, little details and personality is really spot on. My wife (and I :oops: ) already think he's super cute.

Juan Aguacate
24-bit

Post by Juan Aguacate »

It's like they remade Ico and replaced Yorda with a giant cat colossus. I like it.
Blu
Next-Gen

Post by Blu »

Finished this late last night and now I only want to go back and play through again. I had no idea you could pull the heads off the armor, which I was delighted to find out really late in the game. Ueda really had his work cut out for him. I'm willing to look past the controls and camera that can feel clunky, because this game was touching. I really feel like The Last Guardian gave something new to Video Games. I felt really immersed in Trico's companionship. He was believable, the art direction of the game was really Arthouse-esque, the soundtrack provided the right mood. Ueda had his finger on the pulse that some of us are drawn to living creatures, and his design of Trico was really beautifully done. I loved him as your co-protagonist.

However, I'm glad I didn't get sucked into the hype. It's a blessing that the game came out in the first place, and letting my expectations get up there would only be a disappointment. I remember Shadow of the Colossus being frustrating equally in some moments of the game. But it doesn't matter now, all three of Ueda's games were a lovely breath of fresh air that offered something new and a world to explore.

8.5/10
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Nice review. A solid ~8 is what I've been expecting too and that's completely fine. 8)